Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:12:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Post the BIGGEST SCAM in bitcoin history according to you  (Read 1313 times)
pjsonowal (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:58:00 PM

This thread is created to aware the newbies and users who still believe that ponzis are fair...

SO GUYS MY REQUEST IS TO PLEASE POST THE BIGGEST SCAMS IN BITCOIN WORLD ACCORDING TO YOU..

HELP NEWBIES AND AWARE THEM..

THANK YOU

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:13:26 PM

There is already an extensive thread about this.

Please take a look here, you will find all major thefts and heists in there.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=576337.160
ashour

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:21:14 PM

It is really difficult to say, I arguably think that the MT.GOX incident was the biggest scam that happened to bitcoin. Many people lost thousands of bitcoin and it damaged the reputation of bitcoin itself.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:23:04 PM

we might have a candidate here:

http://www.myplanetganja.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11022

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:25:44 PM

It is really difficult to say, I arguably think that the MT.GOX incident was the biggest scam that happened to bitcoin. Many people lost thousands of bitcoin and it damaged the reputation of bitcoin itself.

Pretty sure its factually MtGox? But personally i would say PayCoin for how long they/he managed to control all those people by the nose, that continued giving him money over and over and over until he was long gone on some nice tropical island sipping his martini. (Biased as hell)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:26:53 PM

What about TradeFortress (I think that was his name at least). Probably not the largest scam in terms of BTC stolen, but I remember the event taking place right when I joined the community. TF was a hugely respected member, and the scam came completely out of nowhere. Seemed like a huge shock at the time to the community that someone with so much respect and trust would do such a thing.
ashour

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:41:06 PM

Pretty sure its factually MtGox? But personally i would say PayCoin for how long they/he managed to control all those people by the nose, that continued giving him money over and over and over until he was long gone on some nice tropical island sipping his martini. (Biased as hell)
Well you can argue that MT.GOX was a scam. Some will say that the actually got hacked and some will say that karpeles did it on purpose.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:49:29 PM

If you consider the MtGox fall as a scam then it was MtGox, it is really hard to beat 500 million damage .

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:51:01 PM

Kinda depends on one's definition of scam. I would guess that Gox didn't get rolling with the intention of scamming anyone. They certainly made up for it by the end though.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:53:59 PM

Well you can argue that MT.GOX was a scam. Some will say that the actually got hacked and some will say that karpeles did it on purpose.

Didn't they catch the guy? And wasnt some insider worker revealed all of it? I just figured by now if it was true, Karpeles would of confessed by now? I have to admit i didn't entertain the thought the guy could be innocent but if it wasnt a scam, why did he run with millions of dollars in BTC?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:58:37 PM

Didn't they catch the guy? And wasnt some insider worker revealed all of it? I just figured by now if it was true, Karpeles would of confessed by now? I have to admit i didn't entertain the thought the guy could be innocent but if it wasnt a scam, why did he run with millions of dollars in BTC?

He hasn't confessed to anything. He strikes me as so far moved from reality he probably wouldn't give up anything after decades of exacting torture.

He's being charged with embezzling $2.6 million of customer funds. As for those hundreds of thousands of coins, that remains a mystery.

http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-ceo-claims-to-be-victim-in-bitcoin-exchange-demise/
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:01:54 PM

You don't need a thread OP to get an answer to this question. It was Mt. Gox, by far the biggest scam for Bitcoin community so far. This unfortunate event hunts us still. All of the people that have heard about the Bitcoin have heard about the Mt. Gox as well.

I am also afraid that this will hunt us for a long time in future as well. FUDsters and Bitcoin haters just love to pull this one out whenever they can!
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 09:10:29 PM

Either Mt. Gox or Inputs.io if you ask me, but those have already passed, you can't really lose money to them now.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:24:50 PM

He hasn't confessed to anything. He strikes me as so far moved from reality he probably wouldn't give up anything after decades of exacting torture.

He's being charged with embezzling $2.6 million of customer funds. As for those hundreds of thousands of coins, that remains a mystery.

http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-ceo-claims-to-be-victim-in-bitcoin-exchange-demise/

Thats crazy and i think the biggest damage it did to Bitcoin isint all that capital but all the FUD about how Bitcoin is for criminals, untrustworthy and stuff. Half the people i met in life that heard of Bitcoin replied stuff like.

"Yeah i don't buy in that BTC stuff, its shady as hell" or "What? The thing criminal use to transfer and launder money?" ;_;

But i guess if i was him, and betting on BTC in the future and i had 1.whatever million BTC stashed somewhere, i would also just do the few years in prison and then be covered by the stature of limitation. A few years doesn't sound so bad when you think you might be billionaire if BTC rise, by the time you get out.

Whats a few years of lazing around, being fed and lodged behind bars, to 50 years afterward of gluttony?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
ashour

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:43:08 PM

There still isn't any proof that it was him that stole all the coins. The investigations are still on and might take time until they are solved.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 12:51:52 AM

Of course it was Mtgox

It was the biggest site,with millions of bitcoins and millions of dollars and they closed with the whole money without many explanations

But I must say that it was something that could be seen from far
onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 12:59:22 AM

IMHO its pirateat40 with its ponzi

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 03:09:19 AM

This thread is created to aware the newbies and users who still believe that ponzis are fair...

SO GUYS MY REQUEST IS TO PLEASE POST THE BIGGEST SCAMS IN BITCOIN WORLD ACCORDING TO YOU..

HELP NEWBIES AND AWARE THEM..

THANK YOU

Cloud mining.

P2P lenders who increase their amount of debt rapidly and stack loans across different sites or even on the same sites.

HYIPs.

Unregulated, offshore bitcoin companies that offer to hold your coins and let you invest in crypto-securities and leveraged trading.  They can walk away with your money at any time.  Don't put in what you can't afford to lose.

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 03:27:52 AM

Biggest in what sense?

Biggest value of Bitcoin or fiat taken? Biggest notoriety? Biggest number of victims?

A lot of thoughts come to mind - first, Mt. Gox. It has to be number one. And if you don't think it's was a scam then why isn't Karpeles doing more to prove his innocence?

The collective ponzis on this forum are pretty big (collectively)...offering ridiculous amounts of interest, DAILY, numbers that are literally impossible to provide unless the owner is just giving money away. They stick around for a while, some people make some money, the owner cuts the cord and the remaining people involved get fucked.

Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 03:33:49 AM

Everytime a bitcoin scam occurs it makes me really sad because it affects the value of bitcoin and it's users...Biggest Scam according to me was Mt.Gox...many people lost their bitcoins..that's why we should never store bitcoins on an exchange
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: