Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 08:17:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the safest way to store Bitcoins?  (Read 6495 times)
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 05:21:48 AM

Print out a paper wallet and put copies in a safety deposit box at a trusted bank.

Lol thats like putting your sheep in the lion's mouth to "safeguard it"

No you cannot trust deposit boxes with bitcoin, too risky. In Greece they dont let you even to your deposit boxes, not to mention about atm being offline and banks not giving out money.

Better buy a safe for 2000-3000$ if you have like 100,000$ worth of bitcoin or some significant amount atleast.

placing anything in safety deposit box is different than putting your money in the bank. because bank can have access to the money you put in your account so they can block or limit it but since they don't have access to your safety deposit box they can not do anything about it.
besides as long as you can make a secure cold storage on your own and "free" I think paying any money for any sort of wallet is a waste of money.

Better check the news , and then inform yourself bro:

http://www.goldcore.com/us/gold-blog/greeks-cant-tap-cash-gold-silver-in-bank-safety-deposit-boxes/

http://www.infowars.com/report-jpmorganchase-bans-storage-of-cash-in-its-safety-deposit-boxes/

asad777

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:36:57 PM

To all people who said to put wallet.dat in a USB stick, you are wrong
if the USB stick get infected by a virus, the virus might delete (or corrupte) wallet.dat file
so I recommend burning in into a CD using a burn studio to deny viruses from doing anything to the file
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:25:29 PM

if the USB stick get infected by a virus, the virus might delete (or corrupte) wallet.dat file
so I recommend burning in into a CD using a burn studio to deny viruses from doing anything to the file

But the USB stick would have to get infected from something.  So if the USB get's infected your computer is infected and the USB stick was infected second.

So no matter what usb stick or cd.  The infected computer could compromise the wallet.dat (or other files).  When they are being loaded on computer.   This is why you really should only use it with a clean computer.  If you use one that you surf or worse torrent with there is a bigger chance of it being infected.

If a USB stick is unpluged and cold storage it cannot be hacked unless host computer is compromised when it plugs in.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:32:04 PM

But the USB stick would have to get infected from something.  So if the USB get's infected your computer is infected and the USB stick was infected second.

So no matter what usb stick or cd.  The infected computer could compromise the wallet.dat (or other files).  When they are being loaded on computer.   This is why you really should only use it with a clean computer.  If you use one that you surf or worse torrent with there is a bigger chance of it being infected.

If a USB stick is unpluged and cold storage it cannot be hacked unless host computer is compromised when it plugs in.

If you wanna hold the wallet for long term (and its a deterministic waller), then you burn it into a CD to avoid cryptolocker and other shit.

If you use the wallet frequently then an USB is good, but always have multiple backups in case of a cryptolocker infection.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:38:34 PM

If you wanna hold the wallet for long term (and its a deterministic waller), then you burn it into a CD to avoid cryptolocker and other shit.

If you use the wallet frequently then an USB is good, but always have multiple backups in case of a cryptolocker infection.

The problem remains though if you have an infected computer and access a CD or USB it can get the information from when you access it, with a security breach.  So even though a CD cannot be written to again (assuming used a regular cd).   If you get your wallet.dat off cd and use it the virus/malware could have accessed it.

The only way CD or USB data remains safe is if host computer is not infected.  If it's infected either one of the ways could possibly lose the file to the security problem.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:41:47 PM

The problem remains though if you have an infected computer and access a CD or USB it can get the information from when you access it, with a security breach.  So even though a CD cannot be written to again (assuming used a regular cd).   If you get your wallet.dat off cd and use it the virus/malware could have accessed it.

The only way CD or USB data remains safe is if host computer is not infected.  If it's infected either one of the ways could possibly lose the file to the security problem.

I agree but atleast it keep the data untouched. A cryptolocker would be fatal on the other hand. Even if they dont get your money, they can make sure that you dont get it either.

So thats why everybody should have atleast 2-3 CD backups with a wallet to avoid this disaster.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 12:27:42 AM

I agree but atleast it keep the data untouched. A cryptolocker would be fatal on the other hand. Even if they dont get your money, they can make sure that you dont get it either.

So thats why everybody should have atleast 2-3 CD backups with a wallet to avoid this disaster.

Same could be said is you should have one or two backups of USB sticks.  They are not expensive at all (get a decent brand to prevent crapping out).  But if you use just one and others are backup if it did get a virus that locked data you could switch computers and usb.   

USB drives can handle more extreme environment's then CD's in most cases.  They also have some that are extra resistant to elements.

But I think if computer is compromised CD or USB drive you could be screwed if it's looking for wallet.dat or other files associated with USB. 
CanIHazBitcoin777

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 05:46:05 AM

Use old PC to store bitcoin, because new PC can have firmware rewrittable virus on it, that boots directly before the OS and could leak info:

TTMNewsMJ

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:22:04 PM

The safest way to store your bitcoin is to send all of them to paper wallet.
Rude Boy

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:32:30 PM

Use old PC to store bitcoin, because new PC can have firmware rewrittable virus on it, that boots directly before the OS and could leak info:

hahaha this suks!

Try to use paper or brain wallets. Each time you do a transaction, move all your bitcoin to a new address. So paper wallets might be the best choice, IMO.
chaser15
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1065

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:35:38 PM

The safest way is to how you can make your any storage safe. Even you are using literally a safe storage to store your bitcoin without your self safety precautions your coins are still vulnerable.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:36:56 PM

-snip-
hahaha this suks!

Try to use paper or brain wallets. Each time you do a transaction, move all your bitcoin to a new address. So paper wallets might be the best choice, IMO.
Paper wallets are okay as long as it is random enough. Moving all of them to a new address does reduce the possibility of getting your coins stolen when you broadcast a transaction due to weak RNG but I can't see a real advantage if you're using a truly random generator like bitaddress.org. Brainwallet is known to have a vulnerability which allows a fast bruteforce of the private key.

Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:17:22 PM

-snip-
hahaha this suks!

Paper wallets are okay as long as it is random enough. Moving all of them to a new address does reduce the possibility of getting your coins stolen when you broadcast a transaction due to weak RNG but I can't see a real advantage if you're using a truly random generator like bitaddress.org. Brainwallet is known to have a vulnerability which allows a fast bruteforce of the private key.
So pick yourself a random address and private at a random page on directory.io but, this too vulnerable if system got installed back doors. Sad
BitcoinHodler

Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:32:37 PM

i will always prefer paper wallet over anything else.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:36:48 PM

Is paper wallet considered as a physical wallet?
If no, then you can save it as a digital file as a pdf or as jpg image.
On that page there are all necessary information to receive and spend your bitcoins.

A paper wallet is normally printed on a piece off paper.  Sometimes stuck in physical coins.   Or you can just store in safe place.

But you could print a PDF or other version and store it as a digital file.  You would just have to be careful where you keep it.  I would do a usb stick or two if you choose this route.  I would not store on anything that is online or regular computer.

Well having more that 2-3 backups is more than recommended.
Sorting sensitive data in online platforms like computer, tabler or phones is not good.
As they can be attacked by any virus/getting corrupted or maybe will not work when you need.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:47:30 PM

Today i know is the best safeist bitcoin wallet note online. I will suggest coinbase because you have a very secured vault to transfer your coins in 48 hrs .... than the others....
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:40:27 PM

Today i know is the best safeist bitcoin wallet note online. I will suggest coinbase because you have a very secured vault to transfer your coins in 48 hrs .... than the others....

Sorry but you are completely wrong. Online wallets are the worst way to store your bitcoins. As you don't have complete control over your money and you trust a third party to store your money. What if the get hacked, go bankrupt or something third? Well, you will lose your money.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:13:20 AM

i don't like how with coinbase you're 100% tracked, if you hold something, there and also i suspect there are fee for retiring your fund, better to stick with local wallet dunno why people can't handle them

bitcoin was meant for to be used by you only, not by a third party also...
fortuity

Activity: 89

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:29:05 AM

Offline wallet.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:37:21 AM

i don't like how with coinbase you're 100% tracked, if you hold something, there and also i suspect there are fee for retiring your fund, better to stick with local wallet dunno why people can't handle them

bitcoin was meant for to be used by you only, not by a third party also...

The tracked part does not bother me as I do nothing with it worth hiding.  They would be bored to tears with mine.  But most of mine comes from mining... so really it's pretty good as far as not being tracked, I could mine into any BTC address an start a wallet.

A cold wallet still beats coinbase I think. But coinbase is a good one no doubt about it.  But paper wallet and hardware wallet I still think are the winners.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: