Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:32:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we or not create a social networking web-site for bitcoiners?
YES
NO

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we or not create a social network for bitcoiners?  (Read 3045 times)
Reptile (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 09:25:45 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2018, 09:27:40 PM by Reptile

There are a lot of projects related to Bitcoin, a lot of professionals take part in developing a huge variety of services and applications. Should we build and maintain a social networking web-site for core developers and professionals?

Please vote!

PS.1 Among the aims of such a web-site would be providing services, such as users' profiles. Or blogs or other social-media oriented capabilities. Those who are members of a team working on a new app or service would be able to post more news about how things are going on with their product, and users to track which features are going to be added. And so on.

The basic question here is whether professionals and developers need a social network, a web-resource with focus on profiles and aiming to make it easier to find out more information about a person, his/her skills, experience and areas of interests (including professional ones and when seeking job to be paid in bitcoins)?

And if YES, which features of such a service would you call the most important in the prospect of what folk need?

PS.2 I have yet more questions on the subject. But as I didn't yet make my mind up on whether or not actually to develop this project, I would like first to listen to other people's opinions. Every answer to the questions above is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE

As many vote "No" I would ask please put what your objections are like it was done by countryfree and others. My great respect goes to him. And his concerns have been answered. Guys, my great respect goes to all who voted "no". However technologies develop. And this enables us to address certain concerns and go ahead and create a platform that differs from what has been known, one for all of us.

Q&A
Q:
 So is your intention to make your own crypto social network? (jahn-quid)
A:
The idea as I put is earlier is to enable users to track the progress of this or that project; they are many. Our users have to get what no other platform provides and to take advantage of decentralized solutions and the blockchain technology. It comes naturally.

As users ask me what my intentions are I feel I need to put it that I seek to listen to what users suggest and want there be in place to help the entire crypto-community go ahead.

As many propose to create an independent state for all of us and go seasteading I put forward my plan (see the link to bitcoid.com) . I also asked users what policies in the interests of all bitcoiners an independent state should hold and I got a bunch of nice suggestions from our dear folks on policies . And among the first goals are the building of the transit to space and creating seasteads. And so are my intentions. So we have a plan:

Building Launch Loop at the equator and creation of an independent state on high seas

You can see that my intentions are just exactly the same as our amazing folks want. But having a plan doesn't mean we actually have all those things done.

And here comes in a social network we are talking about. You won't expect much enthusiasm among our people if you promise to form departments or ministries in a state to come and have them handle different parts of the whole project as they are meant to get things done in a centralized fashion. Not very inspiring, right?

Many would say all the design and construction of floating cities to come must be taken care of in a decentralized way so that through using the blockchain all users are able to see where each dollar or BTC goes to at each stage from the design to the construction and then having things up and running.

That is what our social network is to be about. In it we set the aim to have specialized blockchain-based solutions integrated to enable a user with an easy and user-friendly means to take part in the building of seasteads and other things users will approve. As we phase out the governance in a centralized way through a new platform that we aim to develop users themselves will take part in the designing, manufacturing, getting funded and controlling spendings in a decentralized way. Through having this platform we're getting away from what has been ineffective and do things in a fashion where each user have a say at each stage. Does this make sense? Is this kind of goal worth trying?

Please vote and comment.

So this project has to be about developing something new that has never existed before.

Our ultimate goal will be achieving full independence and recognition among other states.

Our citizens will have a passport to be recognized in the world. And related to this goal is an objective for our developers to come up with an absolutely new technologies of identity and make it sure due to it our citizens and their rights are protected all over in the world.

So guys we are in effect building our own country to be a home for all of us. The role of a social network is to help us to stand up to challenges that we face together. This platform can provide many diverse services. So please keep proposing. Many of you have actually proposed what might be of utility and meet certain demand. Thank you so much for your taking part in the constructive discussion!

Please post in this thread links on papers or articles on using blockchain technology to track projects.

This topic is about development, new advances in technologies and programming techniques, ones that emerge right now and that we have to use to fully satisfy our future users. What we actually are trying to develop is not meant to be easy. Let developers make the most of us being discussing things in an open fashion and take their own decision whether to join or not.

But anyone regardless of their technical knowledge can also support our seasteading ambitions, - if you like the idea of building floating cities, - simly by joining this group on G+ Country of Dream This community is for those who love their native countries and also have a dream about a world where everyone has equal opportunities to live on land or on seas. Its aim is to let users do posting about countries best to live in and about emerging seasteads. the hope is that the more we cover living in seasteads the more people will get to know about this new emerging way of life.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 11:19:51 PM

I hate all social networks and what one of the feature I like best about BTC is that's nearly anonymous. Having my picture behind my BTC address is the last thing I want. And I'm not saying that because I'm using BTC for buying illegal stuff, I just like my privacy.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
stuff0577

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

More stuff will come.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 11:45:16 PM

It up to the community and how you will implement your system regarding to security and privacy. You can also create a poll for voting a this site http://coin-vote.com/

DAILAI Peer-to-peer micro transport services
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:51:09 AM

There are a lot of projects related with Bitcoin, a lot of professionals take part in developing a huge variety of services and applications. Should we build and maintain a social networking web-site for core developers and professionals?

Please vote!

PS.1 Among the aims of such a web-site would be providing services, such as users' profiles. Or blogs or other social-media oriented capabilities. Those who are members of a team working on a new app or service would be able to post more news about how things are going on with their product, and users to track which features are going to be added. And so on.

The basic question here is whether professionals and developers need a social network, a web-resource with focus on profiles and aiming to make it easier to find out more information about a person, his/her skills, experience and areas of interests (including professional ones and when seeking job to be paid in bitcoins)?

And if YES, which features of such a service would you call the most important in the prospect of what folk need?

PS.2 I have yet more questions on the subject. But as I didn't yet make my mind up on whether or not actually to develop this project, I would like first to listen to other people's opinions. Every answer to the questions above is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I completely agree. Bitcoiners should have their own social network. You can start your own right now by setting up a mash on diaspora Wink
TheButterZone
Legendary

Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 05:08:20 AM

Yet another one?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 09:32:41 AM

Imho, I don't think we need another social network, plus there have been a few tries in the past but they failed to attract a lot of people and to be honest we need to get out to more people to start using bitcoins, not just be by ourselves and which is why the already existing ones like Fb and Twitter work great.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:44:47 AM

This forum is the biggest social network for bitcoin community, so much developer here who build a bitcoin project and a lot to seeking a job too.
afaik there are some bitcoin social ntwork out there, but not really crowd
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:46:09 AM

There are already two social media platforms for bitcoin I know of , one that you currently posted on and another is bitlanders.com some kind of social media+revenue sharing site.
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:03:04 AM

@mexxer-2 bitlanders is full of spammer, member is only want to earn reward only.
mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:05:59 AM

@mexxer-2 bitlanders is full of spammer, member is only want to earn reward only.
True that same goes for here I'd say. But I feel a social network is unnecessary , if you want to talk to some one just ask their FB/Twitter?any Im service why create a whole new site just for bitcoins.
P.S: There is a option called quote you know
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:34:08 PM

True that same goes for here I'd say. But I feel a social network is unnecessary , if you want to talk to some one just ask their FB/Twitter?any Im service why create a whole new site just for bitcoins.
P.S: There is a option called quote you know

FB/Twitter is mostly they just promote some service which they can earn coins from do it. but i think twitter is more effective than fb, maybe because twitter is more popular than fb now.
melisande

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 04:09:29 PM

I had voted for this because social network for cryptocoin users is long overdue, Just make it to look pretty like facebook stuff.
mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 04:12:03 PM

I had voted for this because social network for cryptocoin users is long overdue, Just make it to look pretty like facebook stuff.
Why not use facebook itself to contact ? Creating a network like Fb is gonna take a lot of investment and can't sustain itself if not enough people are interested(and bitcoin group is a small group). If you want to talk to some one like FB why not give your FB id to him? Or for that matter make it public in your profile so anyone can add if they find you interesting to talk with.
melisande

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 04:43:18 PM

Why not use facebook itself to contact ? Creating a network like Fb is gonna take a lot of investment and can't sustain itself if not enough people are interested(and bitcoin group is a small group). If you want to talk to some one like FB why not give your FB id to him? Or for that matter make it public in your profile so anyone can add if they find you interesting to talk with.
FB is for the people that uses fiat while the one that OP is talking about will be used by the crypto community.
It is quite expensive OP should take note of that too.
mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 07:49:47 PM

FB is for the people that uses fiat while the one that OP is talking about will be used by the crypto community.
Who said FB is only for people who use fiat, make a FB account(if you don't have one) ask some person from here if you like to talk for his FB id and then talk there or just make a bitcoin group there which anyone can join , this really is not worth creating a new site.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 12:36:33 AM

Also, the new forum software for bitcointalk might be THE bitcoin social network in the future.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
melisande

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:36:40 AM

Who said FB is only for people who use fiat, make a FB account(if you don't have one) ask some person from here if you like to talk for his FB id and then talk there or just make a bitcoin group there which anyone can join , this really is not worth creating a new site.
Pretty response mexxer-2 FB is for the general populace while OP wish to create a social network for only the crypto community.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 03:53:25 AM

unfortunately, even with the best intentions, if you build a btc social network it will just become much like bitcointalk. a ripe hunting ground for scammers to target suckers. also, if you offer any sort of btc rewards for posting content it will also become what bitcointalk has become, a cess pool of shallow shit-posts that serve only to gather micro-earnings for semi-literate bottom feeders.

there is already a social network for core devs, its a private mailing list. if you arent on it, you dont belong there.
Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:34:00 PM

I would like to answer the OP by asking this question
Why do you think is there any need to create any social networking site for bitcoiners? i can give you many reasons that there is no need fot it
Reasons:
1.we can use bitcointalk.org to discuss anything we want.
2.we have bitcoin Facebook group if we want social networking we can use that.
3.You will not find much bitcoin developers and users that you can find on bitcointalk (it's the most popular forum from the beginning)
TzikakioS

Activity: 387

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 10:49:03 PM

Could a few million facebook users gather in one group and put pressure on facebook to incorporate bitcoin?

In learning process of translating Mastering Bitcoin in Greek
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: