Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:30:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 questions, 2 on the image proxy 1 one decentralizing bitcointalk.org  (Read 1118 times)
ThePrinceofTea (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:56:13 AM

Hello masters of the code Smiley

I have 3 questions.

1) Do you plan to decentralized bitcointalk, and make it technically uncensorable? p2p, meshnetwork, packet cloacking + encryption? in short NK - China proof?

2) Was the proxy able to pick those pictures linked here before they were deleted? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1193998.new#new

if it's the case expect an assault from the nsa/cia goons to cover the obama admin lies. warning.

(source:http://enenews.com/tv-experts-conclude-fuel-left-inside-fukushima-reactor-total-meltdown-highly-conducting-tests-determine-down-corium-leaked-photos-video)

3) and to move to a light subject the image proxy as difficulty with si.

[Suspicious link removed]j.net/public/resources/images/OB-PX732_stinge_E_20110930175403.jpg[/img]
(remove space) s i . w s j.net/public/resources/images/OB-PX732_stinge_E_20110930175403.jpg

finally thank you, I hope you will be able to buffer the servants of barack obama.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

1) Do you plan to decentralized bitcointalk, and make it technically uncensorable? p2p, meshnetwork, packet cloacking + encryption? in short NK - China proof
I somewhat doubt it due to restrictions with code and this forum trying to be as useful to newbies to the crypto world.

2) Was the proxy able to pick those pictures linked here before they were deleted? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1193998.new#new
I also doubt that, as the images weren't proxied. Since you cannot yet post images due to your rank, the image was not embedded and therefore not proxied. Sorry.
ThePrinceofTea (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 12:30:40 PM

1) Do you plan to decentralized bitcointalk, and make it technically uncensorable? p2p, meshnetwork, packet cloacking + encryption? in short NK - China proof
I somewhat doubt it due to restrictions with code and this forum trying to be as useful to newbies to the crypto world.

I also doubt that, as the images weren't proxied. Since you cannot yet post images due to your rank, the image was not embedded and therefore not proxied. Sorry.

thank you for your answer... I clearly understand to have on version on the clearnet, however I don't see why it couldn't interfere with a more advance one.

and then for the second thank you again... noooooooo. so is life. the censor win this round... but time always crush even the biggest wall to dust.

then nrbfk

I clearly see your complaints about the lack of development on the forum software. However your remark about being a "commie" for supporting decentralization is the most crude form of a deadbrain lemming sheeple that I read today (and I already read a lot of muppets), so please what are you doing here? for a centralized bitcoin? you have that $... and it's already electronic and instant... so please wake your self up. I don't know what was done to you, but sincerly I have pain for you... one day you will understand.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:55:23 PM

Decentralized forum software has existed since before Bitcoin. The most successful example that comes to my mind is Freenet's FMS. However, since decentralized forums can't have normal moderation, using them generally requires more responsibility and work from readers. The vast majority of people don't want to do this, which is one big reason why decentralized forums are very obscure. (Another reason is that there are very very few developers working in this space, so the tools are often not so great, both from a usability standpoint and in general. IMO Freenet is very unlikely to actually be secure in the face of serious attack, for example.)

Increasing fault-tolerance is a long-term goal, but (re)creating a truly decentralized and uncensorable forum is outside of bitcointalk.org's scope.

The image proxy isn't a caching proxy. Proxied images are never saved to disk, and only small chunks of images are stored in memory at any one time. The proxy does work with client-side caching (it passes on appropriate cache-related headers, etc.), so you may cache images.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ThePrinceofTea (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:10:04 AM

dear theymos,

thank you very much for your kind answer. it's really a pleasure to read from one of the heirs of the great satoshi. I really appreciate your thinking, and profit of the occasion to again thank you and the moderators team to provide a space for free expression.

I wish you the best. long live bitcointalk.org.

Smiley
bloods-n-cryptos

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:45:17 PM

Decentralized forum software has existed since before Bitcoin. The most successful example that comes to my mind is Freenet's FMS. However, since decentralized forums can't have normal moderation, using them generally requires more responsibility and work from readers. The vast majority of people don't want to do this, which is one big reason why decentralized forums are very obscure. (Another reason is that there are very very few developers working in this space, so the tools are often not so great, both from a usability standpoint and in general. IMO Freenet is very unlikely to actually be secure in the face of serious attack, for example.)

Increasing fault-tolerance is a long-term goal, but (re)creating a truly decentralized and uncensorable forum is outside of bitcointalk.org's scope.

Thanks for the explanation of the shortcomings of decentralized forums.  I've always been curious why they haven't blown up and this seems like the actual reason.  Could create a market opportunity if someone could address the issues Theymos pointed out.

Any information provided in my posts is for educational purposes only and is not to be considered legal advice, but you already knew that.
minifrij
Legendary

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 07:07:36 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the shortcomings of decentralized forums.  I've always been curious why they haven't blown up and this seems like the actual reason.  Could create a market opportunity if someone could address the issues Theymos pointed out.
The question is, how. It would be impossible to remove things such as bots, spam or other bad things in a decentralized forum as there would (by concept) be no moderation. It would rely on responsibility by the posters on the forum. The internet isn't responsible.
bloods-n-cryptos

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 07:41:25 PM

The question is, how. It would be impossible to remove things such as bots, spam or other bad things in a decentralized forum as there would (by concept) be no moderation. It would rely on responsibility by the posters on the forum. The internet isn't responsible.

I am not suggesting bitcointalk do anything but hypothetically speaking maybe a market based solution like requiring some kind of micropayments to post or participate (see email micropayments concept [http://www.coindesk.com/new-email-service-fights-spam-bitcoin-micropayments/]). 

Any information provided in my posts is for educational purposes only and is not to be considered legal advice, but you already knew that.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:47:31 AM

FMS uses a web-of-trust system. (This forum's trust system was inspired by FMS.) You only see posts of people in your trust list, or in someone you trust's trust list, etc. This prevent spam, though it's tricky to figure out how to add new anonymous people to the trust network. FMS has a feature where anyone can publish a CAPTCHA, and solving this will add you to that person's trust list automatically (with a low score), but this is pretty vulnerable to DoS attacks. Paying some bitcoins is also a good idea.

I haven't looked into this stuff in several years, so I may be out-of-date on some things. Maybe things have improved somewhat by now.

When I tried it FMS worked very well for me, but again, most people don't want to manually manage trust lists.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
minifrij
Legendary

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 11:15:18 AM

FMS has a feature where anyone can publish a CAPTCHA, and solving this will add you to that person's trust list automatically (with a low score), but this is pretty vulnerable to DoS attacks. Paying some bitcoins is also a good idea.
I would say this is possibly even more limiting on free speech than just using a centralized forum. The idea that a newbie would have to pay to get their posts seen isn't too great imo. I know that if that were the case I wouldn't have joined (as I would not have the funds to be able to pay comfortably), and I'm sure several others wouldn't have either.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: