Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BOUNTY: BFL SC die size (20BTC) and process node (20BTC)  (Read 8589 times)
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:06:38 AM

Or sqrt(-1) if you think BFL is creating imaginary ASICS...

I'm sticking with 24mm^2 at .065 micron.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:06:33 AM

A source tells me that the Bitcoin Magazine article alludes to a 45nm or smaller process.

Not very concrete.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:18:26 AM

I can't believe there hasn't been someone who's claimed this yet.
scrybe

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:28:45 AM

I can't believe there hasn't been someone who's claimed this yet.

It's simple, those that know have an NDA.
(I've seen several of these for contract positions that have penalties that can actually add up to several times the wages paid for the contract if the NDA is violated. So non-disclosure gets kept (and the consultant gets paid a premium for keeping his mouth shut.))

Until official release we are unlikely to get confirmation.

BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:32:51 AM

The information is apparently in Bitcoin Magazine, and subscribers have reported getting the magazine already. A quick readthrough and post is worth 40BTC.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 04:49:26 AM

Or they are honorable people who value the trust and respect gained from not breaching confidentiality for some minor prize even absent a formal contract.
scrybe

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:46:50 AM

Or they are honorable people who value the trust and respect gained from not breaching confidentiality for some minor prize even absent a formal contract.

Potentially true, but since they have investors I'm pretty sure they would insist on having any commitments like that spelled out contractually. NDA's in particular have a psychological impact that helps folks remember to keep their mouths shut, and the assurance that the other actors in the company (coworkers) have the same motivation, without having to know them personally and trust them.

Even in a small organization, it is a good idea to spell out the rights and duties and often a general code of conduct just to make sure that everyone really understands. It also protects you from sometimes down the line when you have a falling out with someone in the organization, or a partner dies and their heir is an idiot.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just that given the past (Sonny, Costa Rica, etc.) and everything I have seen (except Inaba sometimes) leads me to believe that they have a pretty good understanding of the power of contracts and are used to using them.

It's like "Trust but Verify" principle often used with teenagers, except when you have a written contract you don't have to rely on the troll-patrol to call you out, you go to court. Not everyone is honorable, or at least not all the time under every circumstance, so a little insurance is a good thing for the whole company.

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 09:23:16 PM

The information is apparently in Bitcoin Magazine, and subscribers have reported getting the magazine already. A quick readthrough and post is worth 40BTC.

So, who has received the magazine?
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 09:31:18 PM

Psychoticboy has said his arrived.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 02:49:29 AM

Psychoticboy has said his arrived.
which issue? 4?
I might buy it, maybe. I dunno.

hi
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:06:34 AM

Sounds like BTCCurious got one, too.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83530.msg1311316#msg1311316
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:27:44 AM

It's lame that we have to pay for information that BFL should tell us for free....

Or I guess I could be patient and just wait for it to come out. But, where's the fun in that?
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:27:06 PM

I got my copy yesterday! hahahahahahaha!
I'm seriously impressed with the bitcoin mag. Once my ASIC arrives I know where I'll be spending some BTC.

As for the die size I just wanna say good choice! Efficient but room to grow.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 11:12:10 PM

I'm seriously impressed with the bitcoin mag. Once my ASIC arrives I know where I'll be spending some BTC.

So have you claimed the bounty?
scrybe

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:38:19 AM

I thought the bounty was nullified when the Magazine started hitting. See the last line:

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices.  I'm assuming they all use the same chip.  It's really easy to get the die measurement from a broken device -- just grind off the plastic/ceramic top using a dremel and pull out a ruler.  I will be happy to escrow the bounty with a well-known forum member if you can present credible evidence that you're serious about this -- that way you can be sure you'll get paid before you totally wreck your already-broken device.

I need this figure in order to compute the η-factor for their product.

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using.  However, I caution in advance that it's not as easy to be 100% certain about that -- you can't just measure it with a ruler -- so claiming this bounty will be more difficult and will involve more verification (which might not even be possible) than the raw die-size bounty.  Please post here if you have any questions about what would be sufficient to claim this bounty; I don't want any hard feelings.

I have offered bounties like this in the past and have a history of paying promptly.

Both of these bounties become null and void if BFL releases the figures themselves.

BFL released the specs to Bitcoin Magazine who got to do an "Exclusive" on it. Now all the other Bitcoin Magazines can report on it too!

bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

Nope.
 The Magazine is really good and I would recommend buying it for more than getting a few more stats on BFL hardware. Good price point just about any small time miner like myself can afford it. It is a good way to help grow the btc economy.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
scrybe

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:05:29 PM

Nope.
 The Magazine is really good and I would recommend buying it for more than getting a few more stats on BFL hardware. Good price point just about any small time miner like myself can afford it. It is a good way to help grow the btc economy.

We would appreciate it if you would share the basic info, having it locked up in a dead-tree publication is stupid. We have little enough happening that I'd rather not see some huge game being played with a few people hoarding information just to act like trolls.

If they sell the magazine electronically (even for fiat) I'm there, but I get too much dead-tree as it is.

FYI, there is no moratorium on the info re: Josh.

Well I was hoping they would have a digital story on their website too. No moratorium though feel free to publish it.

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:18:30 PM

Nope.

Do you understand the reason for this thread and the reasons we're hoping you posted in this thread?  Please enlighten us on the BFL article.  Specifically the SC die size and/or process node. 
Gracias.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 08:55:07 PM

Do you understand the reason for this thread and the reasons we're hoping you posted in this thread?  Please enlighten us on the BFL article.  Specifically the SC die size and/or process node. 
Gracias.
A user on the BFL forums posted the entire article and it doesn't appear to contain any information about die size or process node. The only interesting thing it says is that BFL is considering a future, next generation ASIC offering that moves to a smaller 45nm process node, or possibly even smaller than that. So we know that the process node they're using is bigger than 45nm - which we could've guessed anyway - but that's it.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:31:05 PM

I'm going to guess BFL is using 65nm, seems to be a sweet spot between chip price, performance, and power consumption. Not that I really care though, I went with a manufacturer that's more transparent throughout the whole process(bASIC/cablepair/Tom).
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: