Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:15:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICs any proof they are coming for ANY of the companies?  (Read 9138 times)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 02:36:12 PM

asic companies are poisoning cats.
I fucking hate cats.

I actually decided against investing with ASICMINER in the end because of the project leader's forum name.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 09:53:19 PM

I haven't logged in before today in a while.  Last I remember was that BFL ASICs were coming out last month.  Did that ever happen?

Mousepotato
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 09:59:07 PM

Uh no. Not likely to happen this month either. MAYBE next month...if you're not naughty...but nice. Cheesy

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 10:43:27 PM

BFL has shown production boards (though has yet to show that they actually work). They are so far the only company to show a physical product.

Though all three companies, Avalon, btcfpga, and bfl have all had past products in the fpga market so it is reasonable to assume they are not scams (I hope).

I threw some cash at "BTCFPGA" but ignored the other two, purely because BTCFPGA allowed the use of a credit card.
Any no show would be wire fraud, plus the CC company cover for non-delivery.
The other two have managed to convince me I'd rather not take the risk until they have at-least one device out in the public, basically because they are black hole financing, with ZERO chance to recover funds if something goes wrong.

um, I bought my BFL SC with Paypal...with my credit card.

I had also considered that, but
 you paid an extra 5% and you will NOT be covered by the credit-card insurance.
The responsibility is then.... "you"-"paypal"-"BFL"  as opposed to  "You"-"Credit Card company"-"BFL", and I can tell you now that Paypal does not take kindly to credit card reversals against a paypal account.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 12:34:54 AM

BFL has shown production boards (though has yet to show that they actually work). They are so far the only company to show a physical product.

Though all three companies, Avalon, btcfpga, and bfl have all had past products in the fpga market so it is reasonable to assume they are not scams (I hope).

I threw some cash at "BTCFPGA" but ignored the other two, purely because BTCFPGA allowed the use of a credit card.
The other two have managed to convince me I'd rather not take the risk until they have at-least one device out in the public, basically because they are black hole financing, with ZERO chance to recover funds if something goes wrong.

The responsibility is then.... "you"-"paypal"-"BFL"  as opposed to  "You"-"Credit Card company"-"BFL", and I can tell you now that Paypal does not take kindly to credit card reversals against a paypal account.

?? Paypal does not like any reversals, doesn't necessarily make them less likely to happen. I ordered some item through paypal via credit card from a person, who did not deliver, and I did a reversal, it took 10 days, then they happily credited my card. Not sure where you are getting the idea that card reversals are some sort of universal paypal no-no?

That said, I'm guessing that with an active company like BFL, and the high sticker price of their products, you will likely see some hassle with a chargeback, and agree that just because it's a card purchase it will not be as cut and dry a matter to get your $$ back.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 09:52:47 AM

?? Paypal does not like any reversals, doesn't necessarily make them less likely to happen. I ordered some item through paypal via credit card from a person, who did not deliver, and I did a reversal, it took 10 days, then they happily credited my card. Not sure where you are getting the idea that card reversals are some sort of universal paypal no-no?

That said, I'm guessing that with an active company like BFL, and the high sticker price of their products, you will likely see some hassle with a chargeback, and agree that just because it's a card purchase it will not be as cut and dry a matter to get your $$ back.

Different type of reversal(sorry I was not clear).
I have an Email from PPal, which makes it clear you only get a reversal between yourself/paypal/seller, IF the funds are available in the account of the SELLER.

The reversal I was talking about , is where I phone the CC company and BOUNCE the transaction locally between the card & paypal, when  they don't come up with the money from the original  transaction between the seller and myself, for that they will try to throw your account and any funds into dispute.

HC

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 10:53:24 AM

I haven't logged in before today in a while.  Last I remember was that BFL ASICs were coming out last month.  Did that ever happen?

troll much?  lol

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 12:24:32 PM

I'm an eBay power seller. My only experience with paypal reversals is that all the customer has to do is say that they weren't satisfied with the weather on the day of the purchase and they automatically get their money back.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 03:20:32 PM

I'm an eBay power seller. My only experience with paypal reversals is that all the customer has to do is say that they weren't satisfied with the weather on the day of the purchase and they automatically get their money back.

Agree to this one. Paypal "protects" buyer on any costs.
squeept

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 03:55:24 PM

Buyers are even ENCOURAGED to file disputes. As a buyer, I remember once I had to file 2 or 3 disputes in a short time. I received an apologetic phone call from eBay, several apologetic e-mails, including 1 that had a gift certificate for $150.

They literally PAID me to abuse sellers.

Off-topic: every time I get a seller newsletter with all of their new updates and policies, I inch closer to completely stopping my business relationship with them. I've already moved at least half of my business off of their site because of their INSANE business practices. eBay and Paypal combined used to get over $1K a month from me. I know they're a multi-billion dollar business, but I can't be the only business actively moving away from them. If a thousand sellers my size leave, suddenly they're out $1M a month. Not exactly trivial, but they just don't fucking get it.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 04:08:21 PM

If the ASICs turn out to be a scam, the scam side here will be all over the forum with "I told you so"s.

I wonder what will they say if the ASICs don't turn out to be a scam? As I don't think anyone from the asic side were 100% sure, so can't say I told you so.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box.

I rather like this analysis.

Imagine the box in front of you. Now imagine the sound of small fan motor. Did you drool?

legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 04:15:36 PM

I have some size 14, anyone know where I can pick up an adapter?? Huh

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Epicblood

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:34:26 PM

I have some size 14, anyone know where I can pick up an adapter?? Huh
what the holy fuck are you talking about?

1AbYgR1FspHBB5EqyaxX6MrT6jmc7eMVEQ
Looking for Scrypt miner for ML605
Revolutionary MoneyMaking! Build your own cloud miner!
poon-TANG

Activity: 150

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:41:12 PM

+1.  Every purchase I was not satisfied with.. if I received the goods or not were fully refunded. That's why I always make purchases with CC or Paypal. Its called buyer protection.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:04:08 PM

+1.  Every purchase I was not satisfied with.. if I received the goods or not were fully refunded. That's why I always make purchases with CC or Paypal. Its called buyer protection.

It's called fleabay looting sellers. I won't even deal with those thieves any longer. They've helped too many people steal from me.

poon-TANG

Activity: 150

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:56:56 PM

It's called fleabay looting sellers. I won't even deal with those thieves any longer. They've helped too many people steal from me.

Well don't sell crap on line....ever item I wasn't satisfied with got R.T.S. Don't lie or mislead people about what your selling and you shouldn't have any problems.
squeept

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:23:28 PM

Well don't sell crap on line....ever item I wasn't satisfied with got R.T.S. Don't lie or mislead people about what your selling and you shouldn't have any problems.

I guess I should have actually described my experience instead of whining: I mean buyers actually defrauding sellers and having the full support of eBay. As in, I have to purchase serial coded warranty seals, take pictures of the items being packaged, video tape myself opening any items that are returned, and have the mailman sign sworn statements in case I have to go to court.

I've had people bitch up a storm about how I sent them a shitty item that didn't work, and they send back one that isn't even the same fucking color.

It goes both ways, I know, but eBay only protects the buyers. As a seller, if you have a problem with a buyer defrauding you, they WILL NOT help you. You either have to write it off as a loss or take it to court.

BOOM! DERAILED!

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 09:07:21 PM

It goes both ways, I know, but eBay only protects the buyers. As a seller, if you have a problem with a buyer defrauding you, they WILL NOT help you. You either have to write it off as a loss or take it to court.

That isn't true, btw. eBay also fucks the buyers by allowing sellers who are known to peddle fraud continue to do so; they merely close the seller account, and the seller is free to open another one over and over since they don't ban the actual person even though they claim they do.

eBay is bad for everyone, imo.

squeept

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 09:50:00 PM

eBay is bad for everyone, imo.

I think we can all agree on that.

BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 12:17:43 AM

Sounds about right. PayPal...

BTC Long.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: