Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:55:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearn Banned from #Bitcoin-dev  (Read 5056 times)
poeEDgar

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 12:57:28 AM

I do not find any of these quotes to be convincing evidence that there was sufficient grounds for banning Mike Hearn. Considering that these are also all quotes of other people attacking Mike Hearn. It would have been more convincing if you quoted Mike Hearn himself saying something that you think should have been justification for banning him. It does matter what we think of the developers however or even what their beliefs are, it should not be a popularity contest, what matters is what is in the code.

You completely missed the point. There can be no progress on the code when "every pull [Hearn] touches turns into a cesspool." Bitcoin is a collaborative project. If he refuses to collaborate with the other devs and continues to try to force unpopular opinions in the face of significant criticism, collaboration is impossible. Hence why he forked the code.

Go ahead and continue to ignore other developers' opinions in favor of your own unbacked opinions. But your ignorance of the context of the mailing lists is not compelling.

Here's a few more tidbits on why Hearn has been ostracized:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/cvk0ko7
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/cvjxbb5
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/cvl1yae
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n18en/mike_hearn_banned_from_bitcoindev_sept29/cvk1cpx
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3mvq61/scaling_bitcoin_092915/cvj8zf3

None of that means the core devs are right to forestall the block increase, nor does it make their apparent conflict of interest with blockstream any less troubling.  Those very things make any silencing of Hearn suspicious.

Forestalling? I don't think that's an accurate representation. Most of the Core developers just don't see the same level of urgency that Gavin and Hearn do. I agree with them on that. Core developers have made several proposals regarding how to increase the block size limit (or otherwise address insufficient capacity). Analyzing, discussing, auditing, testing the code takes time and should not be rushed.

I haven't seen any compelling arguments as to this supposed conflict-of-interest with Blockstream, to be honest. I won't deny the possibility, but I just don't see the evidence. Regardless, [temp?] banning Hearn from a discussion is not covering anything up. The issues are out in the open.

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/34220923/
Quote from: Matt Whitlock
An honest question: who is proposing inaction? I haven't seen anyone in this whole, agonizing debate arguing that 1MB blocks are adequate. The debate has been about *how* to increase the block-size limit and whether to take action ASAP (at the risk of fracturing Bitcoin) or to delay action for further debate (at the risk of overloading Bitcoin). Even those who are arguing for further debate are not arguing for *inaction*.

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/34220953/
Quote from: Mark Friedenbach
Matt, I for one do not think that the block size limit should be raised at
this time. Matt Corallo also started the public conversation over this
issue on the mailing list by stating that he was not in favor of acting now
to raise the block size limit. I find it a reasonable position to take that
even if you feel the block size limit should be raised at some time in the
future, there are reasons why now is not the best time to do it.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
I woulda thunk you were old enough to be confident that technology DOES improve. In fits and starts, but over the long term it definitely gets better.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:00:08 AM

That Mike Hearn is a cancer can not possibly be the conclusion of any rational argument.

Please see this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1197613.msg12576154#msg12576154

If he wants to swallow his pride and learn how to cooperate with other contributors in a collaborative project, that would be another thing. He has merely ostracized himself. That is purely his own doing. Just look at his attitude. He is excising himself from bitcoin. Not my problem.
I was referring to those quotes in my earlier post, I still do not consider other people saying bad things about Mike Hearn to be evidence of his wrongdoing.

Indeed:
Quote from: wumpus
he's welcome back if he just starts talking about development, instead of questioning the project all the time
So people should not question the project? More specifically I suppose this relates to questioning the governance of Bitcoin? I would strongly disagree that we should not question the governance of Bitcoin especially considering the problems we are facing and the importance of the questions that need to be answered, who decides is a political question not necessarily a technical one.

If development is centralized then how do we stop the developers from adding centralization to the protocol level?
Um, by not running such code.
We can agree on this at least, if the Core development team did add centralization on the protocol level then we should indeed all fork away from the Core development team.

I would consider development centralization to become an issue if the blocksize is not increased within a reasonable time frame. I think that this has already happened, I would be content with any increase in the blocksize from Core or even just a plan or statement of the intend to increase the blocksize, yet we have not had any of these things come from Core.
Disagree. Time is irrelevant without technically sound code to run. And Core developers (Adam Back, Jeff Garzik, others) have released several BIPs to address block capacity. You're just fixated on BIP101.
I am not as a matter of fact I would support most of the other BIPs, I am somewhat fixated on the need for the code to be implemented however before I can support it in the form of running full nodes or mining. If you think that time is completely irrelevant in relation to increasing the blocksize then you are the one not in touch with reality, time is most definitely relevant to this discussion.

I am aware of how centralized development has been during the early days of Bitcoin, however I think as Bitcoin matures development should become more decentralized, this is off political necessity.
Why? Again:
Prove this statement: "Centralization of bitcoin development causes centralization of the bitcoin protocol." Because I only care about the latter. This is a constant red herring. That bitcoin is a decentralized protocol doesn't state anything about its governance structure. The development process has always been centralized, and I don't view that as a problem per se. Please state exactly why it is.
We have indeed discussed the merit of BIP101, I felt like you failed to respond to my political arguments which I presume you still do not acknowledge.
You still neglected to adequately address technical criticisms of BIP101, yet you are here advocating it. Actually, I have responded to your [irrelevant] political arguments (and I am continuing to here, against my better judgment). Feel free to quote such posts, and I will quote my responses.
This is the article I wrote on the subject you are welcome to criticize me on the thread that I started:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1164464.0

If you would like to continue the discussion we where having last time I believe this is where we left it at last:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1163319.msg12357136#msg12357136

I do not think that we should wait before the blocks are full before we do a hard fork to increase the blocksize, doing a hard fork at short notice could cause many problems. If we waited to long to increase the blocksize and there was a spike in adoption transactions could become unreliable and much more expensive, this would not be good for Bitcoin.
Not good for bitcoin, eh? I don't think a mass increase in orphaned blocks would be good for bitcoin, either.
I do not think that increasing the blocksize would lead to a massive increase in orphaned blocks. Since most pools today are already run in high bandwidth data centers which would not be severely effected by increased block propagation times due to an increased blocksize. It would also be unwarranted to think that no increase in the blocksize is technically feasible considering that one megabyte is just an arbitrary number, why not half a megabyte or two megabytes? There is nothing special about the one megabyte blocksize limit it was put there just as a temporary fix after all.

Again, time is irrelevant without technically sound code to run.
Time is relevant and if we do not have the perfect code by the time does run out then we will just have to choose the lesser of two evils, that is reality.

Further, scaling is not merely limited to the context of block size. Addressing spam is another important issue that must be dealt with. And a hard fork may not be necessary (see Adam Back's proposal from May 2015).
I can agree with you that scaling should be a meusure of throughput and not just blocksize and that any other means to make throughput more efficient should be implemented, I do not oppose this. However it is impossible to tell the difference between "spam" and legitimate transactions which is why I find most solutions to the "spam problem" problematic, a feature of a permissionless network I suppose.

I disagree that BIP101 has been overwhelmingly rejected on both technical and philosophical grounds. It is however irrelevant even if it was, our beliefs should not be based on what the majority believes, it should be based on the result of our own independent reasoning.
Sounds like a real lonely island. I'll stay on the mainland, but thanks. If a simple majority =/= consensus, a minority isn't gonna do any better.
It can be lonely sometimes but it is the best way to live with true knowledge and understanding, better then following the sheep to the slaughter at least. One of the reasons I do love the Bitcoin community is that there are many free thinkers here. Smiley
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:23:25 AM

I haven't seen any compelling arguments as to this supposed conflict-of-interest with Blockstream, to be honest.

It's pretty simple.  Blockstream is in the business of off-chain scaling.  Probably both mainchain and offchain scaling is required for Bitcoin.
You can't expect those core devs to be objective.  Because of their business interests, they are going to be slightly to strongly biased
against mainchain scaling, even if that is not in the best interests of the larger community.

VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:27:57 AM

Not increasing the blocksize in Core is forestalling and most definitely is a form of inaction. It can only be defined as action once the code is actually implemented. Actions speak louder then words as they say.

PoeEDgar you do realize that we are mostly in agreement, I know that you do not understand or agree with my more pragmatic political position for supporting BIP101, but I suspect that in the long run considering both of our positions we will most likely both end up on the same side of the fork. Try and see the nuance in my position, it is not as unreasonable as you might think. It will still be a long time before January 2016 and I am confident that there will be another alternative implementation that we will both be able to support, whether that be in Core or not, and even if the actual hard fork is scheduled for much later I would still support it, I am a reasonable person.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 06:17:15 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 07:51:25 AM by hdbuck

Not increasing the blocksize in Core is forestalling and most definitely is a form of inaction. It can only be defined as action once the code is actually implemented. Actions speak louder then words as they say.

PoeEDgar you do realize that we are mostly in agreement, I know that you do not understand or agree with my more pragmatic political position for supporting BIP101, but I suspect that in the long run considering both of our positions we will most likely both end up on the same side of the fork. Try and see the nuance in my position, it is not as unreasonable as you might think. It will still be a long time before January 2016 and I am confident that there will be another alternative implementation that we will both be able to support, whether that be in Core or not, and even if the actual hard fork is scheduled for much later I would still support it, I am a reasonable person.

mehehe the sneaky "i understand, we mostly in agreement and on the same side" fallacy..

you do realise you are just making a fool out of yourself here?

chances are nobody besides the gavinistas (squeaking minority) will ever end up on the same side of a fork, even more considering it is likely not to happen in years.. (certainly not by jan 2016, if one could only hope for a merciful gavin ban)

anyway nobody wants anything to do with you tireless shill.

go back to Mickey and get that popsicle you deserve.

pathetic creep.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 07:47:10 AM

There is no way to keep the banning enthusiasts on the mainchain. They will be forked off to nirvana.
poeEDgar

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:14:58 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2015, 11:01:06 PM by poeEDgar

I haven't seen any compelling arguments as to this supposed conflict-of-interest with Blockstream, to be honest.

It's pretty simple.  Blockstream is in the business of off-chain scaling.  Probably both mainchain and offchain scaling is required for Bitcoin.
You can't expect those core devs to be objective.  Because of their business interests, they are going to be slightly to strongly biased
against mainchain scaling, even if that is not in the best interests of the larger community.

When you say "in the business of" what do you mean, exactly? What is the business model here, and where does the profit come in? In any case, we're talking about volunteers here, so I'm not sure it's even fair to say that devs on an open source project can't have bitcoin-related interests. Let's assume that some devs do have some conflict of interest that would cause them to stonewall attempts increase the block size limit. Even so, don't we have to assess any proposal to increase the limit on its own merits (vs. accepting it on the basis that it is an alternative to Blockstream)? The code has to be taken on its own merit. Whether its Core or XT. I am not here arguing against Gavin, the person (whatever his conflicts of interest may be).

And like I said, there's nothing wrong with forking the code if Core devs are indeed "compromised." But if the code is not technically sound or is opposed on a philosophical level by most devs, miners and users, it simply won't be adopted. The best chance for a limit increase is to take a much more conservative approach than BIP101, which actually has a chance at reaching consensus. The bolder the scaling regime, the less chance it has. It's as simple as that.

There's this bizarre idea that we have to determine the block size limit (if any) forever, today, partly because people are terrified of the idea of forks down the road. The fact is: of course there will be hard forks in the future. There will be debates about protocol changes in the future that will make this issue pale in comparison. Get used to it, people. I actually believe quite the opposite of most XT supporters on this question -- I think if we conservatively and incrementally increased the limit (to say 2MB) and did not experience serious detriments to security, that it would be unquestionably easier to fork the limit up the second and third times around.

This is how consensus works -- it's messy, painful and takes time, but it's the best damn thing we have. A democracy for bitcoin is the death of bitcoin -- it will simply be co-opted as all governments have been.

I was referring to those quotes in my earlier post, I still do not consider other people saying bad things about Mike Hearn to be evidence of his wrongdoing.

Since you are not a Core developer, nor do you read the bitcoin dev list, you would not know. Thus, it sounds like you would not budge regardless of his behavior, or impediment on development. That's not a reasonable position -- it means you give Mike Hearn a free pass no matter what. Ignorance is not an excuse for that.

How would you approach a child endlessly screaming in a classroom -- disrupting all the other children's capability to learn? Let him stay and endlessly disrupt, to the detriment of progress?

I urge you to do your own research and actually read the past several months of threads on the bitcoin dev list. Endlessly flailing around like a child and making threats to have commit privileges pulled is not constructive. Whether you want to take the word of several devs other than Mike Hearn is up to you. But again, you are taking a completely one-sided position.

So people should not question the project? More specifically I suppose this relates to questioning the governance of Bitcoin? I would strongly disagree that we should not question the governance of Bitcoin especially considering the problems we are facing and the importance of the questions that need to be answered, who decides is a political question not necessarily a technical one.

Of course, people should question everything. I'm a skeptic. But there is a significant difference between that and turning every technical discussion into a political one, and refusing to cede any ground in any argument. At some point, no one will be willing to work with you. That's just a practical reality. Hearn simply cries louder and louder when people reject his ideas, and tries to leverage allegations of character assassination and censorship to rally the user base against those who oppose him. Unfortunately for him, crying might work for babies, but it doesn't work for adults.

You want to change the governance model? Go ahead and propose changes to the BIP model. Do it. And if your ideas are well-reasoned and achievable, you may gain some ground. If not, you can fork the code. That's how this works. Endlessly crying about changing the governance model or the need for alternative implementations will achieve precisely nothing. Take action or don't. Don't complain to me about it. If no one supports your ideas, you're just irrelevant.

Remember, bitcoin already exists, and is chugging along just fine. So until you -- and others that are so disgusted by Core -- come up with alternatives with widespread support, this is a non-issue.

I am not as a matter of fact I would support most of the other BIPs, I am somewhat fixated on the need for the code to be implemented however before I can support it in the form of running full nodes or mining. If you think that time is completely irrelevant in relation to increasing the blocksize then you are the one not in touch with reality, time is most definitely relevant to this discussion.

Why do you constantly ignore everything I say? I said "time is irrelevant without technically sound code to run." Inventing this sense of urgency (yeah, blocks are less than half full, and no, a temporary fee market is not the end of the world) doesn't justify running technically unsound code. Again, feel free to respond to my technical arguments made here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1163319.msg12332549#msg12332549

Produce a workable alternative, and we can talk. Implementing code that a) threatens network security and b) threatens a political civil war that may fracture bitcoin's user base forever, is not a workable alternative. Most people intelligent enough to use bitcoin simply won't fall for that kind of idiocy, no matter how much false urgency you attach to it (and that was made apparent by XT's demise).

Regarding b), you do realize that's what Nick Szabo was getting at re: "civil war," right? Because if the consensus threshold is lowered to an extent that it is a "democratic" decision (majority rules, like 75%), one must have a very elementary understanding of market incentives (and a lack of understanding of game theory) to assume that only one blockchain will survive. Consider that a fork is achieved with 65% of hashing power + a lucky streak. Post-fork, hashing power is split 65-35. Now -- if a miner believes that the Core chain will prevail, then by remaining on the Core chain, he will increase his relative hashing power (and share of mining rewards) by nearly 300%. That is a huge incentive not to cede to the mining majority. Then you have miners who will support one chain or the other purely out of political beliefs. Then you have miners who will do just that, up to a point where economic disincentive (or rather, fear of economic disincentive) becomes too great. Then you have potential attacks (like NotXT) which would make miner support even more opaque leading up to a hard fork. In such a situation, multiple surviving blockchains (and not necessarily just two) is a very real possibility. And if that goes on for long, too much money will have changed hands to ever turn back the clock. Bitcoin will be forever broken into multiple blockchains.

This is the article I wrote on the subject you are welcome to criticize me on the thread that I started:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1164464.0

If you would like to continue the discussion we where having last time I believe this is where we left it at last:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1163319.msg12357136#msg12357136

Actually, I'd rather just refute you here. I stopped responding to you in that thread because you repeatedly ignored nearly every argument I made, and continually repeated arguments that I had already addressed. This is the "Mike Hearn" approach. At some point, I'm not going to keep talking to a brick wall. I can't waste my time on that shit.

I do not think that increasing the blocksize would lead to a massive increase in orphaned blocks. Since most pools today are already run in high bandwidth data centers which would not be severely effected by increased block propagation times due to an increased blocksize. It would also be unwarranted to think that no increase in the blocksize is technically feasible considering that one megabyte is just an arbitrary number, why not half a megabyte or two megabytes? There is nothing special about the one megabyte blocksize limit it was put there just as a temporary fix after all.

Regarding "Since most pools today are already run in high bandwidth data centers which would not be severely effected by increased block propagation times due to an increased blocksize" I ask that you provide evidence. I won't accept that at face value. What is your definition of "high bandwidth data center" and you assign this label to what percentage of miners? What proportion of Chinese miners vs. others, and does it matter to you whether Chinese miners are disproportionately affected? (Of course, that point will determine whether you have miner support for any fork Wink) Should the rest of the miners be written off (they should create their own altcoin, as Hearn says)? No increase in orphaned blocks -- at 8MB? 32MB? 1GB? Show me numbers. Show me proof that bandwidth capabilities will keep up with the limit -- hint: you can't. And I highly doubt they will, considering the scaling regime is based on Moore's Law, whose obituary is being written as we speak. We are talking about seconds among multiple peers here. Not minutes. Conservative is the only acceptable approach.

That "you don't think something will happen" isn't an argument. It's quite obvious you are not a developer or engineer. It's pretty well understood from an engineering perspective that conditions at drastically different scales are not similar (thus, not predictable). So much of your understanding of technical issues seems to be little more than "nothing bad can possibly happen." Quite the opposite: the saying goes "everything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

Regarding 1MB -- I'm not arguing for a permanent 1MB limit. But implementing a limit that is unrelated to demand is essentially limitless, and therefore very dangerous. Keep it in line with demand and we can likely simulate the conditions and prevent attack vectors before people lose many millions of dollars over unnecessary recklessness. In the thread I linked above, I laid out one possible attack vector that, with sufficient hashing power, might enable a miner to use spam attacks to increase block size (up to say, 8x or 16x the current limit, whatever the case may be), and subsequently force high-latency miners to SPV mine. With enough hashing power, he could then exploit SPV miners by selfish mining. This is very relevant to the bandwidth capability of Chinese miners.

Time is relevant and if we do not have the perfect code by the time does run out then we will just have to choose the lesser of two evils, that is reality.

No, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of consensus. You have it backwards. Time does not run out, and bitcoin remains. Robust as fuck, that bitcoin! The lesser of two evils is the protocol that achieves consensus. Anything less is not bitcoin. So if your alternative doesn't cut the mustard.... sorry. Then the status quo prevails until something better comes along. (Shrug)

I can agree with you that scaling should be a meusure of throughput and not just blocksize and that any other means to make throughput more efficient should be implemented, I do not oppose this. However it is impossible to tell the difference between "spam" and legitimate transactions which is why I find most solutions to the "spam problem" problematic, a feature of a permissionless network I suppose.

Not at all, it's quite simply, really. And it's not a consensus issue, so it's an easy fix. The default Core settings already define outputs < 546 satoshis as spam. Now, it's possible for smaller outputs to be relayed, but only if node operators alter the conf files. In practice, rarely do smaller outputs get relayed. Personally, I don't view the ability to send outputs of fractions of a cent on the main blockchain to be important, and would be quite happy to see such spammers penalized for bloating the chain. As it stands, the cost of their bloat is being socialized among all bitcoin users transacting on the blockchain. We could raise the dust threshold and/or have the default Core settings require additional fees based on dust outputs to disincentivize spam.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171182.msg12331532#msg12331532

Again, this isn't how engineering and software development work..... If you were preparing a new release of a major, acclaimed video game, would you release it as buggy, scarcely-audited code? Or would you do it right? Indeed, actions speak louder than words.

I've got too much goddamn money on the line to fall for that bullshit.

And now that I've wasted probably 2 hours of my life writing this book -- don't take it as a victory if I don't respond to your next post. I've wasted too much time already, and I think this forum likely by now is less prone to fall for these "sky is falling" and "Core is evil" arguments.

I woulda thunk you were old enough to be confident that technology DOES improve. In fits and starts, but over the long term it definitely gets better.
bambou

Activity: 346

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:19:20 AM

There is no way to keep the banning enthusiasts on the mainchain. They will be forked off to nirvana.

You irrelevant people will fork off to hell.

Non inultus premor
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 09:14:09 AM

From the logs it looked like CodeShark_ was the one that took the discussion off of development.

As far as I am concerned, it is the developers that should be discussing the block size issue. Not every n00b to read some biased article on one side or another.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
poeEDgar

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:40:22 AM

As far as I am concerned, it is the developers that should be discussing the block size issue. Not every n00b to read some biased article on one side or another.

I agree with this to an extent. But Gavin and Hearn also skipped that discussion by releasing a BIP101-coded client. So there's that.

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 09:44:17 AM

I agree with this to an extent. But Gavin and Hearn also skipped that discussion by releasing a BIP101-coded client. So there's that.

It's not like they just released it out of nowhere, the discussion has been going on for years. Gavin even posted the question whether or not that approach was a good idea or not back in spring.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
poeEDgar

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:52:13 AM

It's not like they just released it out of nowhere, the discussion has been going on for years. Gavin even posted the question whether or not that approach was a good idea or not back in spring.

That's not the point. I'm saying it became a question (particularly for miners) of whether or not to run the code. That isn't exactly within the scope of "it is the developers that should be discussing the block size issue." That's not up to developers.

Whether or not it's been discussed for years, the approach (especially lowering consensus to 75%) was reckless. Nick Szabo wasn't bullshitting about contentious hard forks and civil war.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:54:21 AM

Was then the appropriate response to launch a public appeal to use an alternative client implementing that appraach when everyone else on the Core dev team overwhelmingly rejected it?

Vires in numeris
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 12:20:54 PM

@ Poe,

since they haven't disclosed their business strategy except in vague terms, we don't know what it is.  We do know they took millions in VC and ther fore must have a plan to make profits.  We also know they are developing sidechains and are interested or working on LN.  probably there is some intersection of sidechains and LN micro channels.  they have stated explicitly they are in favor of no block increase or one that is as slow as possible.  not sure how many signals you need to see their bias.

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2015, 12:25:21 PM

Was then the appropriate response to launch a public appeal to use an alternative client implementing that appraach when everyone else on the Core dev team overwhelmingly rejected it?

Appealing to the public was the wrong approach. Work it out amongst the developers.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:10:53 PM

"bitcoin political philosophy list"  Smiley  yes it is highly desired even here

Lastly, based on the logs, I really don't like his attitude (though I have nothing against him as a dev, just his attitude based on this IRC log) he seems like he's the type that wouldn't give up the discussion until he wins and everyone agrees with him.

Sure he likes to give order to others, not very comfortable to talk with

Anyway, attitude is less of the concern in a level of discussion of political and philosophy, it is what you want to achieve matters. Basically you need some kind of framework in this area. We are lacking of fundamental spirit or the constitution level rules of decision making

Nick Sazbo said the top priorities are consensus and decentralization, this is a good general principle. People should strive for consensus and decentralization as the first priority, instead of some technical details

VeritasSapere

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:23:16 PM

Appealing to the public was the wrong approach. Work it out amongst the developers.
I think that an appeal to the public is the right approach, the Core developers are not and should not be the rulers of Bitcoin.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:47:57 PM

I think that an appeal to the public is the right approach, the Core developers are not and should not be the rulers of Bitcoin.

Which suggests that the public should be consulted about any and all changes to the code, which makes the development team redundant. It's your inability to comprehend such basics of observable reality that make you look like a shill (as well as making the outcome of every post exchange "...and the answer appears to be BIP101.")

Vires in numeris
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:49:30 PM

It is possible as long as the implementations are fully compatible with the Bitcoin protocol. However in the case of a change that is fundamental to the protocol, which makes previous versions incompatible with the new version is a hard fork. Increasing the blocksize will require a hard fork whether it is done by Core or an alternative implementation. Hypothetically it is possible if there was enough disagreement that Bitcoin could split, there would then be two Bitcoins essentially. This should not nesserally be seen as a 51% attack but more as an act of freedom and expression of personal beliefs. This avoids the problem of the tyranny of the majority. Cryptocurreny as a whole will therefore always remain free as long as enough people choose freedom.

Yes, tyranny of the majority is bad. In order to avoid this, everyone should strive to achieve consensus, instead of persuade others to comply with his idea, everyone should try to find a middle ground that is acceptable by as many community members as possible

Sure, everyone has the freedom to make his own fork and see if his idea realize. But it is a big community, miners, exchanges, payment processors, investors all hold stake in the ecosystem. If you don't go with major consensus, then almost for sure your fork will become another alt-coin that no one cares. Although theoretically you have the freedom to fork, but you can't achieve anything without following the major consensus

Another reason: Why there are thousands of alt-coins but none of them matters? Because in order to adopt a deflationary monetary system, you should only focus on one most mature cryptocurrency with limited money supply. Dilution of the resource to other coins is essentially an inflation in cryptocurrency world, which benefits no one economically

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 02:20:05 PM

at last, he was childish, definitely not team worker Smiley
viva la bitcoin
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: