Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:54:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: good places to hide paper wallet ?  (Read 9663 times)
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:03:20 PM

I am searching for a good place to hide my paper wallet
i don't want any one to see it or try to scan the QR code
please don't give me silly places, I really want to hide it in secure place

Having a tough time hiding paper is one of the reasons BTC is popular. I'm not sure how redundant the answer "Safety Deposit Box" is, but I'll leave it here regardless.

You can leave it in the shoe-box where you hide your drugs.
You can laminate it and stick it in your sock, carrying it with you everywhere you go.
You can wear a cup and stick it in there.
You can stash it inside an old-computer case.
You can stick it down the barrel of an out-of-commission firearm and retrieving it with pipe-cleaner(s)/dis-assembly.
Under an old floor-board, inside a picture-frame, behind the actual picture.
Stick it over the batteries, but inside the battery-case on your game-boy.
Laminate it, dip it in wax repeatedly until it forms a Candle-shape and then stick it in a box.
It's a piece of paper, and you literally could put it anywhere.

You can think of your own unique place, because the best things are self-taught, self-suggested and self-maintained.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:06:11 PM

Having a tough time hiding paper is one of the reasons BTC is popular. I'm not sure how redundant the answer "Safety Deposit Box" is, but I'll leave it here regardless.

You can laminate it and stick it in your sock, carrying it with you everywhere you go.
You can stick it down the barrel of an out-of-commission firearm and retrieving it with pipe-cleaner(s)/dis-assembly.
Laminate it, dip it in wax repeatedly until it forms a Candle-shape and then stick it in a box.

You can think of your own unique place, because the best things are self-taught, self-suggested and self-maintained.

I'd go with "Hide in plain sight" if people don't know and don't have the instruction on what to do with the alphanumerical series that is in front of them, then its as safe as inside the safest of vault. And if a location get compromised, you should have another one.

Don't forget redundancy, you're not hiding a pile of gold here, you're hiding a digital key that can be kept in one million copy if you need to.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
EthanB

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:07:35 PM

I'd go with "Hide in plain sight" if people don't know and don't have the instruction on what to do with the alphanumerical series that is in front of them, then its as safe as inside the safest of vault. And if a location get compromised, you should have another one.

Don't forget redundancy, you're not hiding a pile of gold here, you're hiding a digital key that can be kept in one million copy if you need to.

Hide it behind the last sheet of paper in your printer, that's hiding in plain sight.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:08:20 PM

Laminate your paper wallet up to water proof. Then put it down into a fisher tank. No one will check your fisher tank for your bitcoins. You can watch your paper wallet while you are watching and enjoying your fish drivings.

Well now that you have said it, they will...

I dont understand why would people make a thread like this, it will blow everybody's best hiding places.

Seriously, guys you are exposing yourselves this way, and if a burglar would look for your bitcoins , now they would know where. It's not a good idea to expose hiding places...  Huh

Because people don't understand that the answer is not where but HOW. You can just encrypt the privkey and print it to a piece of paper. If someone find it, and its really hard to find a single small piece of paper. Then they will still take 1 billion years to decrypt it.

GG. Hide with your brain, not with your eyes.

But an encrypted version of the private key exactly the public key. So it would be like writing down the bitcoin address not the priv key, which makes no sense.

You still need to memorize the private key and write it down to another piece of paper, which then creates 2 important pieces of paper and double the risk that if any gets lost you lose access to the money.

No, the public key is a derivative that cannot be reverse engineered. I'm talking about actual/real encryption of file/data here. For instance like TrueCrypt. You do need a password to decrypt it, or a encryption/decryption key. And you need to know how you encrypted it. Only you should know so thats even more security.

You could for instance hide the decryption key appart, or in a safety box.

Or just password it.

And you don't have double the risk to lose your coins because if you have only a single copy, you're doing it wrong from the start.

Yes i understand that, but i mean that is is pointless. It is like writing down your bitcoin address on a piece of paper whih is pointless because we want the private key secured not the address, that is already public.

And if you encrypt the private key with lets say AES-256 then you need another private key to memorize which is back where we started, because this doesnt add extra security to it, as anybody who would know the AES key would also know the bitcoin private key.

So it makes no sense at all.

What you can do instead if break the private key in 4 pieces, number them, and hide them  in separate places, like puzzle pieces.

EthanB

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:09:46 PM

Laminate your paper wallet up to water proof. Then put it down into a fisher tank. No one will check your fisher tank for your bitcoins. You can watch your paper wallet while you are watching and enjoying your fish drivings.

I dont understand why would people make a thread like this, it will blow everybody's best hiding places.

Seriously, guys you are exposing yourselves this way, and if a burglar would look for your bitcoins , now they would know where. It's not a good idea to expose hiding places...  Huh

Because people don't understand that the answer is not where but HOW. You can just encrypt the privkey and print it to a piece of paper. If someone find it, and its really hard to find a single small piece of paper. Then they will still take 1 billion years to decrypt it.

But an encrypted version of the private key exactly the public key. So it would be like writing down the bitcoin address not the priv key, which makes no sense.

You still need to memorize the private key and write it down to another piece of paper, which then creates 2 important pieces of paper and double the risk that if any gets lost you lose access to the money.

No, the public key is a derivative that cannot be reverse engineered. I'm talking about actual/real encryption of file/data here. For instance like TrueCrypt. You do need a password to decrypt it, or a encryption/decryption key. And you need to know how you encrypted it. Only you should know so thats even more security.

Or just password it.

And you don't have double the risk to lose your coins because if you have only a single copy, you're doing it wrong from the start.

Yes i understand that, but i mean that is is pointless. It is like writing down your bitcoin address on a piece of paper whih is pointless because we want the private key secured not the address, that is already public.

And if you encrypt the private key with lets say AES-256 then you need another private key to memorize which is back where we started, because this doesnt add extra security to it, as anybody who would know the AES key would also know the bitcoin private key.

What you can do instead if break the private key in 4 pieces, number them, and hide them  in separate places, like puzzle pieces.

You just gave me a good idea for CoinFest 2016.. Thank you .
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:15:41 PM

Seriously, guys you are exposing yourselves this way, and if a burglar would look for your bitcoins , now they would know where. It's not a good idea to expose hiding places...  Huh

Or just password it.

It is not pointless, it has nothing to do with the public address and we wouldn't be using SHA256d to store our priv key and your public address is NOT your priv key in SHA256d, it is not decryptable, it is not possible to decrypt your public address into your private address.

But it is possible to encrypt it, your private key with encryption algorithm and just password it, like thisismyuncrackablepassword.

And then you only need to when you want to get your money is run the output that you printed on a piece of paper or stored in a usb key, load this in the encryption application and input your password.

You can do a puzzle if you want to go fancy but you're still going to need redundancy. If you lose a part and you don't have other copies, you're fucked, so either way you need a master copy, safe somewhere.

And there is no better way to hide a priv key than the same way your BTC are protected by it; by being hidden behind a hash that cannot be bruteforced.

The puzzle thing is probably a good idea if you want your kids to go through a puzzle to get their BTC/allowance or something. But if you want to keep it secured, obfuscation is the way to go. Not hidding the privkey naked in your socks.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:17:08 PM

Under the floorboards in a fireproof envelope.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:21:43 PM

It is not pointless, it has nothing to do with the public address and we wouldn't be using SHA256d to store our priv key and your public address is NOT your priv key in SHA256d, it is not decryptable, it is not possible to decrypt your public address into your private address.

But it is possible to encrypt it, your private key with encryption algorithm and just password it, like thisismyuncrackablepassword.

And then you only need to when you want to get your money is run the output that you printed on a piece of paper or stored in a usb key, load this in the encryption application and input your password.

You can do a puzzle if you want to go fancy but you're still going to need redundancy. If you lose a part and you don't have other copies, you're fucked, so either way you need a master copy, safe somewhere.

And there is no better way to hide a priv key than the same way your BTC are protected by it; by being hidden behind a hash that cannot be bruteforced.

The puzzle thing is probably a good idea if you want your kids to go through a puzzle to get their BTC/allowance or something. But if you want to keep it secured, obfuscation is the way to go. Not hidding the privkey naked in your socks.

Sorry but you dont get it, i was using an example to illustrate.

I was saying that an AES256d private key is just the same as a naked private key, because then you would need to memorize the AES 256 key, so you are back at square 1 because you still have a password to secure.

So its the same to write down a bitcoin private key and hide it under your pillow, than a AES256 encryption key of the bitcoin private key under your pillow.

So this makes no sense.

=======================

Yes also the more pieces you have the better obfuscation, but the higher risk of 1 being lost you lose access.

You need to weight that risk in.

You can put 1 key under your pillow and you know its there, but if a burglar takes it he can acces the bitcoins.

Or you can split it in 4 pieces, hide in different places ,and the burglar only takes 2 of them so he wont have access. But now you wont have access either Cheesy

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 11:34:53 PM

Sorry but you dont get it, i was using an example to illustrate.

I was saying that an AES256d private key is just the same as a naked private key, because then you would need to memorize the AES 256 key, so you are back at square 1 because you still have a password to secure.

So its the same to write down a bitcoin private key and hide it under your pillow, than a AES256 encryption key of the bitcoin private key under your pillow.

So this makes no sense.

=======================

Yes also the more pieces you have the better obfuscation, but the higher risk of 1 being lost you lose access.

You need to weight that risk in.

You can put 1 key under your pillow and you know its there, but if a burglar takes it he can acces the bitcoins.

Or you can split it in 4 pieces, hide in different places ,and the burglar only takes 2 of them so he wont have access. But now you wont have access either Cheesy

No. You don't need an encryption key to encrypt something. Encryption software will generate it for you out of a password. So you can store an encryption key with a password as simple a "1234" you absolutely do not need a bulky encryption key.

It's an added level of obfuscation that is very easy to do and undo. If this does not make sense to you, then it is because you do not know how easy to use it is.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:14:48 AM

Buy a locker in bank and put it in there.That is the safest place to keep it.If you keep it at home,there's a chance of you misplaced and you either have to keep changing its location or stand guard to keep it safe which is going to give you headache

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 01:00:09 PM

Buy a locker in bank and put it in there.That is the safest place to keep it.If you keep it at home,there's a chance of you misplaced and you either have to keep changing its location or stand guard to keep it safe which is going to give you headache

I'm thinking you mean security boxes within the bank.   Yes they are very secure.   If you need it they are a pain as it's not at your house.  But if you have lots of coins then it's not a bad idea.

Also I like to suggest making the paper you store it on not have bitcoin on it.   Have private codes/QR and put like family photo link instead of bitcoin.  Just a better chance if somehow at thief did get it the would not mess with family photos.  Also encrypted usb within a security box at bank is even better.
Atomictie

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:15:38 PM

In a dig underground
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:18:06 PM

Well many comments are funny so there is one too Smiley
A good way to hide your paper wallet is putting it in a blank bottle
And hide that on the ground http://www.survivalistspreppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/buried-money.jpg
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:52:06 PM

And hide that on the ground http://www.survivalistspreppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/buried-money.jpg

With that money (or any paper) I would have a airtight something around it.  That person with money would have one sad day if that glass bottle breaks under pressure.  Depending on how deep keep in mind pressure from above could crush/crack.  For example I'm on a farm if some of the equipment went over that it would be so much pounds it would push into group and pretty much guarenteed to crack or crush the glass.  Unless burred very deep.

I will say I'm not a fan of burying it.  Just to much can go wrong and I don't like that it would be ouside with no alarm, or security to stop someone else from digging it up.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:05:37 PM

With that money (or any paper) I would have a airtight something around it.  That person with money would have one sad day if that glass bottle breaks under pressure.  Depending on how deep keep in mind pressure from above could crush/crack.  For example I'm on a farm if some of the equipment went over that it would be so much pounds it would push into group and pretty much guarenteed to crack or crush the glass.  Unless burred very deep.

I will say I'm not a fan of burying it.  Just to much can go wrong and I don't like that it would be ouside with no alarm, or security to stop someone else from digging it up.

Dig under your house then!

Hah! I just mean, you should have a backup plan in case your house burn down. If its buried somewhere relatively safe, then you have a back up, just in case. If its encrypted, it should be fine even if its dug up.

Regardless of if you do it old school bury it style or in a USB key in a safety deposit box in a bank, you should encrypt it regardless. Even with simple password it would be very hard to figure out what it is and how to decrypt it.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RealBitcoin

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 12:49:13 AM

Why would anybody bury fiat money ? Cheesy:D:D

It's like buryin your stack of toilet papers and waiting to transform in gold. Fiat money will lose 50-90% of its value in 30 years, that is very likely, so it would be a shitty idea.

Just bury some greek drachmas in the 1950's, and by 1998 (when Greece joined the Eurozone) it will be worth 99% less.

Better bury gold, that doesnt get destroyed.

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 01:38:48 PM

honestly, paper is thin. Cheesy

I'd rather use a trezor stored in a safe. much better solution in my opinion.

vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:41:19 PM

i think i would hide it to a good quality safe or just put it in my wallet and make a few copies in order to recover it in case of loosing wallet
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 6371

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:48:07 PM

Maybe the best place is in plain sight:
you generate 100-200 pairs of public+private keys, pick one number you prefer and use that as actual paper wallet. Nobody will have the patience to enter them all by hand until they find the non-empty one.

Of course, you'll have to keep your actually used public key also hidden from the people you know, so you'll need a few public/buffer wallets. They'll be empty 99.9% of the time.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
CanIHazBitcoin777

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:04:34 PM

Maybe the best place is in plain sight:
you generate 100-200 pairs of public+private keys, pick one number you prefer and use that as actual paper wallet. Nobody will have the patience to enter them all by hand until they find the non-empty one.

Of course, you'll have to keep your actually used public key also hidden from the people you know, so you'll need a few public/buffer wallets. They'll be empty 99.9% of the time.

They can use an automatic bot that tries all of them, if you do this on your PC.

If you do it with paper wallets, then you will need alot of printing ,and have a good mark on the real private key, while marking the fakes one too.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: