Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:12:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe the singularity will come?
Yes, undoubtedly within the next week or so
Yes, probably this decade.
Yes, probably within my lifetime.
Yes, probably this century.
Yes, but probably not for a long time.
No.
What's the singularity?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Singularity  (Read 4577 times)
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 11:15:52 PM

The Singularity doesn’t have to be negative. You should all read From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism. Technology will eventually bring about a utopia, or at least help to fulfill one or another utopian ideal. Humanities salvation will come through as social change brought on by the emerging technologies being created now because the Singularity is behind us.

I would disagree. In most all cases, technology enslaves people.

"When I was a kid" we didn't have most of this tech we have now and I feel the world was doing just fine without it.

Now... I'm a cellphone addict and an Internet addict and I'm only one of millions.

All the kids are starting out addicted to technology.

Technology is more like heroin than it is the child of utopian civilization.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 11:24:10 PM

"When I was a kid" we didn't have most of this tech we have now and I feel the world was doing just fine without it.

Now... I'm a cellphone addict and an Internet addict and I'm only one of millions.

Must be rough, being able to summon help from almost anywhere in the country, to say nothing of having the capability to access any information you want, whenever you want.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 11:26:51 PM

The Singularity doesn’t have to be negative. You should all read From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism. Technology will eventually bring about a utopia, or at least help to fulfill one or another utopian ideal. Humanities salvation will come through as social change brought on by the emerging technologies being created now because the Singularity is behind us.

But what you want to ask is, ..is it a bad thing?...
As long as history shows anything new invented seemed to be always evil, but then in a couple decades we get used to it so much that we don't notice the world without it.

Someone once said that technology makes us less intelligent, but when you look at it, it just makes us think in a different way.
The way out brain works is different, obviously with such a huge amount of information it would be impossible to remember everything.
It's like when you want to know something you just google it.
It is quite interesting to see out progression.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:01:41 AM

Old people don't google things I've noticed, they prefer to gointo repair shops.

Satoshi = singularity?  Unlikely, much of the bitcoin community is hardly enlightened.

If anything it's about a paradigm shift, which can hardly be classified in terms of good or bad, it's all about how such developments are utilized.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:11:10 AM

Addiction is in the mind, we enslave ourselves.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:12:55 AM

Jewish and African Americans might disagree.

FLHippy

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:16:02 AM

Must be rough, being able to summon help from almost anywhere in the country, to say nothing of having the capability to access any information you want, whenever you want.

After hitting send I wish I had added that PERSONAL technology enslaves.

There is a fuckload of awesome tek out there. The internet could be the most wonderful thing. But then there are all these damn people running loose on it. FLHippys and myrkuls and pirateat40s (oh my).

I think of the people who came before us. With nothing more than a stick and a string Eratosthenes was able to accurately measure the circumference of the earth.

I don't loathe tek. I make my living off of tek. But Ive also got another side that knows how to live in the woods and likes to grow my own food and kill and eat the animals that need killing and eating. I get so much more satisfaction out of the times I am able to do those things than the times I am forced to earn money.

Physically, weather is is sailing in my boat and living on fish, or if it is spending the summer in the mountains of north carolina living on small game the works is much much harder, and I learn much much more (about everything) while on those extended adventures. I read books. I write in the margins. I observe a world that moves at a measured pace in sync with itself.

On my return to society, I feel enslaved by personal technology and surrounded by chaos. Is it really a good thing to have anything you want anytime you want it? For a while it sure is nice. I like regular (hot) showers. I like the wide array of groceries the tek money can buy me.. But it's no where near as satisfying as the fish I caught myself or rabbit or the deer. All of which I thank for their lives so that I may live. I don't bother to thank the animal I bought at the grocery store for it's life. I'm so very far removed from the process of those animals that it seems pointless. I don't know how it lived or died.

I leave december 1 for my next extended rendezvous with nature. This time on my sailboat where I will be mostly free of the tek bonds. But not completely. While it's certainly romantic to head out on the water with nothing more than a compass and a map, it's a very poor idea and a minimalistic but important array of tek will be keeping me safe on this coming journey. Internet included..

WHALES HEAVEN
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:24:54 AM

Technology is a tool, if you don't have the discipline or fortitude to wield it--you are the tool.  I myself feel little adverse affects from exposure to modern amenities, I can (and often do) leave them for weeks or days at a time to live a simpler life as well.  I think the problem with society is not the tehnology's spread, but rather the lack of backbone from couch potatoes.

FLHippy

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:45:41 AM

Technology is a tool, if you don't have the discipline or fortitude to wield it--you are the tool.  I myself feel little adverse affects from exposure to modern amenities, I can (and often do) leave them for weeks or days at a time to live a simpler life as well.  I think the problem with society is not the tehnology's spread, but rather the lack of backbone from couch potatoes.

Looking for an opportunity to kick the habit for a month?

I posted this yesterday.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/rid/3376062705.html

WHALES HEAVEN
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:51:06 AM

Don't want to be murdered and thrown off your sailboat.  (Quite naturally.). I am always VERY cautious about meeting people irl I met online.

dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:00:05 AM

What?  That's still enslaving ourselves.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
FLHippy

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:00:35 AM

Don't want to be murdered and thrown off your sailboat.  (Quite naturally.). I am always VERY cautious about meeting people irl I met online.

wow! Murdered?

You should be cautious of people you meet anywhere.

But please, assure me that I am not coming off as a murder with that rideshare post Sad

I normally sail solo. But a very good and able sailor friend of mine died in the storm when hurricane sandy came through my area. His and another boat became tangled and in his attempt to free his boat, he was crushed between the two.

I posted that ad because I thought that if Dan had an extra set of hands that evening, he would be alive today.

I suspect I will travel solo to Miami this winter. And that is fine. But having an interesting person aboard would be nice too. And I, like you, will be very cautious of who I would allow to come.

I'm only just seeing your avatar. I didn't realize you were female. It would be pretty creepy of me to be inviting a very young looking woman I met on the internet on this trip. I apologize.

WHALES HEAVEN
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 01:01:48 AM

What?  That's still enslaving ourselves.
Taken very broadly, yes, yes it is.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:15:49 AM

Let's not forget, we're all the same.

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:14:36 PM

Well I guess if you didn't see my avatar it doesn't creep me out quite as much.  I *might* be interested, but obviously I'd need more details, sir.  I tend to be able to take long vacations from work and haven't planned out my next one yet.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 09:16:07 AM

Google just hired Ray Kurzweil.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/14/ray-kurzweil-joins-google-as-engineering-director-focusing-on-machine-learning-and-language-tech/

Soon.

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 05:58:28 AM

Bitcoin has been part of my singularity plans since I had heard of it.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 06:02:20 AM

Having plans for the post singularity world is a logical fallacy for a human intelligence.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 06:11:38 AM

Having plans for the post singularity world is a logical fallacy for a human intelligence.
That implies that Hex there is of human intelligence. How do you know that they're not an AI?

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 06:15:46 AM

That implies that Hex there is of human intelligence. How do you know that they're not an AI?
He has to few posts to be a bot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: