Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:01:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone successfully selling BTC on EBay?  (Read 3723 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:17:57 AM

It seems lucrative but also a bit dangerous. If a buyer wants free bitcoins, I'm assuming they could just say they never received the coins and Paypal would gladly give them their money back. I've also read that paypal may reverse all your payments out of the blue if they believe you are trading currency.

My idea is to sell btc as collectible promissory notes that can optionally be redeemed for bitcoins. The auction will clearly state that you are bidding on the "collectible", not the BTC you can redeem it for. This way I have something physical to send them with delivery confirmation and I'm not directly selling BTC.

Is my idea worth pursuing or am I ultimately going to have my money stolen by paypal? Anyone else doing something similar and avoiding hassle from Paypal/eBay?

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bjork

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:49:33 AM

I don't know why anyone would buy bitcoins on ebay.  I doubt those sales are real.

AzNmeowmeow

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:03:57 AM

Well you can always make like a instawallet account and put in the BTC in there, then ship the URL of instawallet it to the person that bought it.

With of course tracking number and taking a screenshot of your instawallet amount you put in.

Google instawallet because I dont want any mix up of my wallet. :/

Please donate: 1MDn8ueUbUMEcbszGqBQb6QNAyRn59uThd
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 06:08:43 PM

I don't know why anyone would buy bitcoins on ebay.

Because they want to buy bitcoins with credit cards or PayPal. The question isn't why somebody would buy on eBay, but rather why somebody would sell with such repudiable payment methods. Hence the premiums bitcoins fetch on eBay.

J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:51:24 PM

You could just say you are selling "A paper wallet with 1BTC in it".

90% of the scammers are people with stolen accounts. If you mail a paper wallet with keyinfo and instructions on how to import/transfer it then you get the advantage of using a verified physical address.

Never done it, but it seems like it would thwart a lot of scammers. People can still lie about not getting it but you could just show a delivery confirmation number and will win the dispute 90% of the time.
SimpleMan

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:41:52 PM

I wouldn't recommend it, seller should start selling paper bitcoin money

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:47:10 PM

People can still lie about not getting it but you could just show a delivery confirmation number and will win the dispute 90% of the time.

Only an idiot was dispute a delivered items as not received.   Read up on "Item Significantly Not as Described Dispute".
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:19:48 PM

You could just say you are selling "A paper wallet with 1BTC in it".

90% of the scammers are people with stolen accounts. If you mail a paper wallet with keyinfo and instructions on how to import/transfer it then you get the advantage of using a verified physical address.

Never done it, but it seems like it would thwart a lot of scammers. People can still lie about not getting it but you could just show a delivery confirmation number and will win the dispute 90% of the time.

People have done this before and still had their PayPal accounts frozen because PayPal explicitly states in their ToS that they won't process transactions for digital currency.  There are already many threads on this board posted by people who thought they'd found a "loophole", including someone who shipped paperclips and gave BTC as a "free bonus". 

I'm pretty sure that the ToS are also written in a way which says they won't arbitrate disputes over digital currency, too - so there's no incentive for buyers to trust sellers.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 04:33:51 PM

As I understand it, PayPal gave MemoryDealers hell just over selling Casascius Coins for PayPal.  And that's as physical as Bitcoins can get.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 07:55:47 AM

I don't know why anyone would buy bitcoins on ebay.  I doubt those sales are real.

CONVENIENCE AND FAMILIARITY

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 08:06:03 AM

PayPal denied. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230883477390

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: