Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:48:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the 'Bitcoin Experiment' changed your political or economic views at all?  (Read 13722 times)
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:07:29 AM

Over the last couple of years(maybe less, not sure) I've known two people who both independently have gradually had quite a change in their views on politics, and free market capitalism in general as a result of observing and participating in bitcoin.

One of them has almost done a complete 180, and the other is more confused and unsure of what to think anymore. But needless to say both of them have soured on a lot of their previously strongly held ideas regarding how they expected people act given a free market and the benefits of unrestrained capitalism.

Have you witnessed peoples political opinions evolve as a result of seeing the real life 'Bitcoin Experiment', or have you yourself changed or maybe strengthened your own views?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:51:54 PM

I think most of the people are here because they have different political and economic views. Just reverse the cause and effect in your question.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:08:25 PM

But needless to say both of them have soured on a lot of their previously strongly held ideas regarding how they expected people act given a free market and the benefits of unrestrained capitalism.

I'm curious, can you expand a bit on the specific behavior that they have observed to be outside of their expectations?

Was it primarily thefts, scams, market fluctuations, illicit trade?  Or is it the constant calls for regulation?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:15:27 PM

I used to treat "deflation causes deflationary spiral" as an established fact, then saw it working fine here anyways and educated myself about it.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:25:46 PM

yes.

Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:37:54 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2012, 06:18:21 PM by Este Nuno

But needless to say both of them have soured on a lot of their previously strongly held ideas regarding how they expected people act given a free market and the benefits of unrestrained capitalism.

I'm curious, can you expand a bit on the specific behavior that they have observed to be outside of their expectations?

Was it primarily thefts, scams, market fluctuations, illicit trade?  Or is it the constant calls for regulation?

Well, with the one who doesn't know what to think any more, I think his change of heart has been primarily driven by emotion and seeing all the thefts, scams, and failures of bitcoin thus far. He hasn't told me anything about getting scammed or losing money, but I suspect he might have been burned at some point. He also really hates Mt.Gox and the fact that they are the center of the bitcoin universe at this point, and he thinks it's ridiculous that there hasn't been anyone to out compete them yet. I personally think that's a result of real world regulations restraining the market, and that if that barrier to entry was not there Mt.Gox would either be out of business, a non-factor, or completely overhauled and improved to compete.

The other one has definitely given it a lot more thought, and I can't exactly recreate all his arguments but some of the points that I remember are something like:
- The cost of defending your financial interests in a free market against other rational actors(self interested and unrestrained, i.e. will take any perceived advantage) outweighs the benefits gained. One example I remember him giving was a theoretical exchange closing once the amount of deposit exceeds the projected amount to be gained from transaction fees over some time period and just taking everyones money because that is the rational option.
(I personally think these problems can be solved and we are in the process of solving these issues now with bitcoin and some of the ideas like Open Transactions, coloured coins ect.)

- He believes that people underestimate tendency of the market to over-react to problems and self regulate after the fact in an ad-hoc and inefficient manner. Sort of correcting obvious problems after it's too late and doing it poorly.
(I kind of see the point here, it's pretty vague I think though)

- Some other random stuff how political ideologies in general are all flawed when you try to stick with one solution to every problem and that people should be more dynamic and less focused on pigeon holing themselves into certain systems.

There's more but I'm not sure if I can remember exactly. I should ask him again and check and if there is anything interesting I'm missing.

I think bitcoin just caused him to be more critical of his own political assumptions. I guess that's a good thing, but we have a long way to go and I think bitcoin and the culture around it is going to be improving a lot in the near future. As in all these problems that bitcoin is having are just going to make it that much stronger in the long run as people adapt and the market corrects itself. It's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:10:11 PM

I suspect much of it is just normalcy bias.  But the 'Bitcoin experiment' is not a particularly well-isolated one.  It will take time, and a lot more growth, to reach a stable equilibrium.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:13:53 PM

No. My views have not changed. But it is providing endless hours of entertainment and education.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 08:47:56 PM

Bitcoin helped to take me from minarchist to market-anarchist. I was infected by the community and exposed to the likes of Stefan Molyneux, who really made the case for no-state.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 09:22:12 PM

Bitcoin for me is being an accelerator.
I'm simply going to the same direction, simply faster.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:30:32 PM

Before Bitcoin the word anarchist was synonyms with intent to cause kayos and disorder - meaning something negative like uncontrollable child adult screaming with no order.
After Bitcoin anarchism sounded quite appealing as a means of organisation.

My political view can't be summed up that simply (I seem to find some fault with most ideologies) but while enjoy the freedom to change my mind, Bitcoin has stimulates the fundamental questions needed to make some facts clear. So from here political processes derived from free market principles are way more appealing and practical than I ever though possible.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:10:15 AM

I look with at my native currency with a scrutinizing eye.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:50:20 AM

Not sure if this relates but-

Im pretty sure bitcoin has convinced me that p2p non biased systems are the way to go for most things.

hi
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:03:19 AM

Bitcoin helped to take me from minarchist to market-anarchist. I was infected by the community and exposed to the likes of Stefan Molyneux, who really made the case for no-state.

Can you expand on why? Minarchist sounds like a very reasonable position and I wonder what benefits full blown anarchism would have over a minimal state.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 07:51:20 AM

Make it a survey or don't post this question "at all".
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:12:17 AM

Over the last couple of years(maybe less, not sure) I've known two people who both independently have gradually had quite a change in their views on politics, and free market capitalism in general as a result of observing and participating in bitcoin.

One of them has almost done a complete 180, and the other is more confused and unsure of what to think anymore. But needless to say both of them have soured on a lot of their previously strongly held ideas regarding how they expected people act given a free market and the benefits of unrestrained capitalism.

Have you witnessed peoples political opinions evolve as a result of seeing the real life 'Bitcoin Experiment', or have you yourself changed or maybe strengthened your own views?

Reading some posts on the forum I have got a similar impression in a few cases but that is not my case. I think people are not used to having so much freedom and being responsible, and this is why they fall for so many scams. More time has to pass and people have a lot to learn in how to make the best use of their freedom.

Signature space available for rent.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:25:16 AM

I've become more dismissive of libertarians. Exposure to the forum has greatly reduced my estimate of their average intelligence level.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:26:42 PM

Bitcoin motivated me to learn more about money, and as a consequence I've become more dismissive of professional economists. Many of them actually are completely clueless when it comes to money.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:54:37 PM

Bitcoin motivated me to learn more about money, and as a consequence I've become more dismissive of professional economists. Many of them actually are completely clueless when it comes to money.

Awesome. You do realize that money is part of macroeconomics. Most economists don't have any reason to ever care about it, except for those who specialize in this area.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 03:16:06 PM

Awesome. You do realize that money is part of macroeconomics. Most economists don't have any reason to ever care about it, except for those who specialize in this area.

But they should at least have some basic knowledge.

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: