Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:21:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Mining Solo or Mining Pool? (once ASIC products are delivered)
I will stay Solo Mining - 8 (10.7%)
I will stay Pool Mining - 45 (60%)
I will switch from Solo Mining to Pool Mining - 1 (1.3%)
I will switch from Pool Mining to Solo Mining - 9 (12%)
I am new and will begin Solo Mining (n00b) - 4 (5.3%)
I am new and will begin Pool Mining (n00b) - 8 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Mining Solo or Mining Pool? (once ASIC products are delivered)  (Read 5399 times)
LiteBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:32:30 PM

Just curious  Grin
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:27:48 PM

Hmm, it honestly depends in my opinion. If the difficulty isn't too high, and finding a block takes a reasonable amount of time, then I'll solo mine. Otherwise, I'll stick with PPS pooled mining  Grin

Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:45:12 PM

Since a lot of people will be switching in pretty much the same time.. pool mining?

How come all those ASIC believers tend to think they make a fortune as they alone start having those GH and noone else?
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:44:51 AM

the first 2 weeks are crusial to making a buttload, after that its going to even out pretty fast for the asic holders and the gpu farmers will be left in the dust  Wink

Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:16:31 AM

the first 2 weeks are crusial to making a buttload, after that its going to even out pretty fast for the asic holders and the gpu farmers will be left in the dust  Wink

i agree, those who get their ASIC first are going to be extremely happy
ammo88

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:45:48 AM

Most probably I'll be continuing with pool mining.

But it all depends; If the difficulty is not too high when my products arrive I may try out solo mining.

Like Nachtwind said there will be many ppl at once that switches to ASIC hardware so solo mining will only be my choice as long as total network hashrate is still low. (compared to what it will be once most ASIC preorders are out)
Odi

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:21:26 PM

I have been solo mining on 400MH/s for 10 months and will continue doing so if my ASIC preorder arrives

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
LiteBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:29:21 PM

I have been solo mining on 400MH/s for 10 months and will continue doing so if my ASIC preorder arrives

interesting! How many blocks have you found if you don't mind me asking?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 01:14:41 PM

ASIC mining makes you absolutely faster, but relatively the same speed. You'll all be pool mining just like you were before, earning the same amount, only the difficulty will be 50x higher. You're dreaming if you think this magically makes it worth you solo mining.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:39:05 PM

ASIC mining makes you absolutely faster, but relatively the same speed. You'll all be pool mining just like you were before, earning the same amount, only the difficulty will be 50x higher. You're dreaming if you think this magically makes it worth you solo mining.

Once everyone kicks into gear you're exactly right. But the first people to receive their devices will have a brief advantage to make a bit of coin before the difficulty jumps up too much. So, if you're one of the first to snag a Single and mine away at 60GH/s solo, chances are you'll probably be able to get a block within 48 hours.

vitruvio

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:53:04 PM

Yes there will be some months when asics owners will have proportionally better rewardings but at cost of new buy. So the asic arriving make you to choose make new investment or you are out of the game.

What will sopose this? Asic's gives +-25x more speed at same investment, if all miners change every GPU of 200MH/s by his equivalent in ASIC's indeed will happen as ckolivas says, we will have a new status quo, you will get 1 $  a day mining with at 5 GH/s, the asic's manufacturers are the winners.

But do this will happen? how many will give up and don't change.

How many will increase the investment?

Who knows?

Now that we are speculating in Mining Speculation forum which is the sex of angels? We can keep talking over and over again about the same, the opinions are like ass, everyone has his own one.

Regards, see us in next thread about what will happens when Asics arrives.
Odi

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:30:06 PM

interesting! How many blocks have you found if you don't mind me asking?

2 blocks in those 10 months...used them to pre-order a bASIC last week.  Before switching to solo, I was pool mining for a few months to recoup the $200 I spent on 2x5770s (so I could justify in my mind that $200 on video cards was a better investment than just buying $200 worth of coins)

I was solo mining with 400MH/s and I will be solo mining with 1 ASIC.  I'm not going overboard with a whole farm, I just want to be a part of bitcoin history.  It's like 15 years ago when I was pointing a Pentium III to various distributed computing sites for free.  This one has potential to make money, but I'm not planning on cashing out to fiat.  I want to make BTC so I can spend BTC and help make bitcoin more mainstream.

Yes there will be some months when asics owners will have proportionally better rewardings but at cost of new buy. So the asic arriving make you to choose make new investment or you are out of the game.

What will sopose this? Asic's gives +-25x more speed at same investment, if all miners change every GPU of 200MH/s by his equivalent in ASIC's indeed will happen as ckolivas says, we will have a new status quo, you will get 1 $  a day mining with at 5 GH/s, the asic's manufacturers are the winners.

ASIC prices should go down as more competition shows up.  I was originally going to wait until ASICs were mainstream before ordering one, but the stars happened to align for me to pre-order one (lucky blocks found with 400MH/s + BTC price going up + cablepair still having first batch pre-orders available last week + I had to reboot my computer last week which made me realize I found a block in July which made me check the forums to see the status of bitcoin).  If any one of those didn't happen, I would be waiting until ASICs were down to $200 before ordering one.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:06:35 AM

I think you're better off solo mining for about a week if you're the first to receive an ASIC SC have a decently sized portion of the Bitcoin network. But once everyone else gets their ASICs, you will have a smaller chance of mining coins.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 11:49:44 AM

One of those single devices or equivalent from the various manufacturers is around 50GH. Even people who currently have 50GH do NOT solo mine. At the current difficulty of 3 million it takes over 3 days on average to find a single block. If you're unlucky, you could fuck up and end up not finding a block for up to 10x the difficulty, or 30 days. You may completely utterly miss any window of opportunity to make something extra even at the current difficulty and by then the number of people who have them will skyrocket, probably to 10x the difficulty.

No matter what your hashrate is, solo mining is always a much much bigger gamble than pool mining.

-ck
Odi

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:20:15 PM

Even people who currently have 50GH do NOT solo mine...

No matter what your hashrate is, solo mining is always a much much bigger gamble than pool mining.

People with 50GH right now spend a lot of money on electricity, so they cannot gamble on solo mining to keep their bills paid.  With ASICs, power usage will be much less, and I think we will start to see more gambling on solo mining once they recoup the initial cost in a pool.

People are more willing to gamble when the cost is low.  Of course, those with 50GH/s currently will probably end up with 1TH/s and still pool mine to pay for their electricity costs.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 10:28:11 PM

Even people who currently have 50GH do NOT solo mine...

People with 50GH right now spend a lot of money on electricity, so they cannot gamble on solo mining to keep their bills paid.  With ASICs, power usage will be much less, and I think we will start to see more gambling on solo mining once they recoup the initial cost in a pool.

People are more willing to gamble when the cost is low.  Of course, those with 50GH/s currently will probably end up with 1TH/s and still pool mine to pay for their electricity costs.
Not really. People with 50GH include people who have 2 minirigs, which is about 2kW. Not much compared to GPU mining, and they still pool mine.

-ck
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:28:53 PM

There is no advantage in solo over pool unless you like to gamble.
Odi

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 07:16:18 PM

Not really. People with 50GH include people who have 2 minirigs, which is about 2kW. Not much compared to GPU mining, and they still pool mine.

Sorry, I forgot about FPGA's, since the last time I was actively looking at bitcoin, FPGAs were like ASICs today (pre-orders only).  And since I've become active again recently, all talk has been about ASICs.  How many months has it been since they received their minirigs?  Have they made back the $30k investment yet?  If I spent $30k on hardware, I would also pool mine until I made that investment back.

There is no advantage in solo over pool unless you like to gamble.

There is one big advantage I can think of.  Pools centralize the network, and solo helps in keeping it decentralized.  Remember that smaller pools are a gamble as well, while big pools are needed to make the payouts more regular.  Big pools are bad for the network since it makes it so much easier for a pool operator to take over the network (instead of needing to get 51% of the hash rate, they would only need to get 51% - current %).

quasarbtc

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:48:26 AM

So long as there are a sufficient number of pools present, it seems as though there is no reason not to take that route other than fees or pool performance problems.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 03:51:04 AM

I'm going to switch from Slush's pool to p2pool. Well, if bfl asics will be supported by p2pool sw.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: