Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:29:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tackling my Mining Rig heat generation  (Read 2524 times)
amyehya (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:11:51 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2015, 12:53:37 PM by amyehya

Hi All,

I recently started a simple mining rig in my basement. I soon found out that my house became the best sauna in town. Apparently the basement became 30C (86F) and the hot air started traveling up heating the house. Since it's October I counted on cold weather outside bring cold air in through the basement window which didn't work because it was way too hot in the basement.

As a result, I put a box fan in front of the window to force cold air in. This greatly helped reduce the temperature in the basement and the miners. I have purchased more used Antminer S5s and 2 brand new Antminer S7s to add to my rig which will add more heat. I was hoping you guys can review my videos to see my set-up and maybe offer suggestions to try to improve airflow. Thank you in advance.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6Q5RTpnxXVI-YK37fBi8A

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:24:05 PM

Hi All,

I recently started a simple mining rig in my basement. I soon found out that my house became the best sauna in town. Apparently the basement became 30C (86F) and the hot air started traveling up heating the house. Since it's October I counted on cold weather outside bring cold air in through the basement window which didn't work because it was way too hot in the basement.

As a result, I put a box fan in front of the window to force cold air in. This greatly helped reduce the temperature in the basement and the miners. I have purchased more used Antminer S5s and 2 brand new Antminer S7s to add to my rig which will add more heat. I was hoping you guys can review my videos to see my set-up and maybe offer suggestions to try to improve airflow. Thank you in advance.

You should dump the heat strait outside, you don't have the ventilation of a data center. Then have a box fan pulling cool air into the basement and then a fan pulling the heat out.

You can either put the miners's exhaust in a window physically or by using those vinyl tubes.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 01:47:08 PM

Hi All,

You should dump the heat strait outside, you don't have the ventilation of a data center. Then have a box fan pulling cool air into the basement and then a fan pulling the heat out.

You can either put the miners's exhaust in a window physically or by using those vinyl tubes.

We really do not see to left side almost looks like a wall.  So there might not be a easy way to do in air and exhaust.

People do the S5's upwards sometimes, I like mine laying flat as it's easy to blow air.   Those box fans are not a ton of CFM's.  If you point them all the same direction you could use something more like i do with http://www.lowes.com/pd_416730-11292-SFDC2-600T_0__?Ntt=416730&UserSearch=416730&productId=4755305&rpp=32 (I have 2 of those pushing the hot air from rigs). 

My area also has a exhust I upgraded the gable fan to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Professional-3013-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-AFG-PRO-3-0/206047381 it made a huge difference on moving exhust out.

Do you have another set of windows to the left? Or just the one to right?
amyehya (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:22:21 PM

Hi All, thank you for your suggestions. I only have one window and I do have a small exhaust port in the back. I will be heading to home depot to find some duct to connect to the exhaust port and push the hot air out through it.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:24:22 PM

Hi All, thank you for your suggestions. I only have one window and I do have a small exhaust port in the back. I will be heading to home depot to find some duct to connect to the exhaust port and push the hot air out through it.

During winter, i'd recommend pushing the air through your air ducts if you have centralized heating system like a furnace. If not maybe just let the air trickle up. This way you save on heating = more profits.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
amyehya (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 08:56:33 PM

The heat is actually entering the ducts and thats how it's heating up the house. However, I connected an exhaust port in my basement to a flexible duct and hanged it above my Antminer S5s for now. I'm going to see how that will work. Posted a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKJ2kOlZko
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:02:37 PM

The heat is actually entering the ducts and thats how it's heating up the house. However, I connected an exhaust port in my basement to a flexible duct and hanged it above my Antminer S5s for now. I'm going to see how that will work. Posted a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKJ2kOlZko

That should help with the heat a bit. You could probably build en enclosure so that most of the heat output from the miners would go strait outside. This would be easier to do with the S4(?).

All depending on how much heat you want to get rid of. Also you can reduce the noise once the temps are good by reducing the fan speeds.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
amyehya (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:08:42 PM

I thought about the enclosures. I'm noting down ideas as there is a probability we will be selling the house and moving to another early next year. Will definitely be an interesting project or might just get a warehouse.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:09:14 PM

I ran both S4's and S5's.   The S4's do seem to tend to do better with heat.  I think it partially has to do with it's design and full case.  It gets hot air out decently.  Also I had a fan pushing it to so it really worked good.

Those S5's though are pretty warm when you run them.   The 1 fan with open design just allows heat to go everywhere.  The did improve it on S5+ but does not give S5 users any hope.

But I would focus on the S5's like you are doing.  Also depending on your location winter is coming so you will be able to get free cold air in certain areas which is pretty great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: