Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:03:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth it to do the whole openWRT thing on your router?  (Read 1244 times)
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:13:06 PM

Anyone here do this? I've always wanted to do this over the years but never got around to it. I hear lots of good things but I'm not sure if it's really worth it or not.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:31:25 PM

I have DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54G router. I always wanted to mod it and install an SD card but never did. I like DD-WRT, it has a ton of nice features. So many infact that most I have no idea what they even do!

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 08:54:56 PM

I'm running dd-wrt on my router and using one as a switch, basically if you want all the basic functionality's of cisco switch/router without paying $100+ it's worth it.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:01:45 PM

I have it working with a TP-Link WR1043ND running as switch behind my router,  if you loose the connection while flashing, the router could be toast (happened one time to me).

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 09:21:22 PM

Anyone here do this? I've always wanted to do this over the years but never got around to it. I hear lots of good things but I'm not sure if it's really worth it or not.

IMO It's worth it.

I currently have a Netgear WNDR3800 running as a switch behind my router and it works very good (using OpenWRT).

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:52:38 PM

I have DD-WRT Mega build on my router and it have orders of magnitude more features than original firmware. And it is more stable too, not a single hanging in last 3+ years. The latest DD-WRT is somewhat fucked up but it does not have security problems that were discovered in previous versions.

If You are confident that you can flash the firmware then it is worth it! It is more useful than any of the original ones.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 05:17:40 AM

I've gone with DD-WRT whenever possible and I've been quite pleased with the features and stability.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 05:44:24 AM

Depends on what you want.

I've always preferred dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) for my Linksys routers, it's also an open source firmware for those routers, more powerful and configurable than the original firmwares, but keeps the web interface. It is somewhat less flexible than openwrt but I didn't want another device I had to configure at the prompt Smiley

Then again, things may have changed since I last looked at this stuff. My current router+cable modem doesn't support any of the open firmwares Sad

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: