Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:08:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2-3 weeks to go until the first unboxing of a BFL ASIC?? MAYBE?  (Read 8807 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:23:45 PM

Is there any way to know how many machines/GH are still open/ordered at BFL? Only just in case they start to ship the first asic it would be interesting to know how many are before an order you would make then.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 11:34:27 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 11:52:21 PM by Bogart

Why the hell do you need anti-virus software?  You're not stupid enough to keep your wallet on a Windows box are you?

This.

Installing "antivirus" software is a sure sign of n00bdom.  It says that you have no faith in your ability to retain control of your own system.

Us real h4x0rz never use the stuff.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:51:12 PM

I collect my bitcoins on a dedicated laptop inside a VMWare image and backup the wallet and put that backup in another house.
Just in case if my laptop got stolen.

One thing I just 'love' is people explaining their security measures. A healthy dose of paranoia goes a long way with the back stabbing that goes on these days

If you only have a few bitcoins, then I wouldn't bother to take some extra security measure.
But if you already collect more than 1k like a lot people already have hoard.
I don't think it is wise to keep your wallet unprotected.
Why would the developers of bitcoin adding a encrypt funtion into the client if NOBODY going to steal it.

They didn't at first. They only did after the first wave of thefts happened. Reactive instead of proactive.

But I think we are getting waaay off-topic here.

Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 11:57:29 PM

So, to go back on topic, help me to understand the supposed state of BFL's chips.  There seems to be a lot of confusion about that.

Wafer #1: "Burned" for testing with some crazy wire bonded rig that was apparently of dubious benefit.
Wafer #2: Bumped, diced, packaged, and in testing.  Some soldered onto boards.
Wafers #3-6: Huh  Are they still just wafers?  Have they been bumped yet?  Diced and packaged?
Wafers #7-12: Huh Last we'd heard the top few metal layers were being held back.  Have they given the go-ahead yet to finalize them?  If so, when was it given?
Wafers #13+: Huh

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:02:04 AM

This BFl guys make me panic. Who's willing to bet that at least 30% of first units shipped will break, burn and/or fail during the first month of use?

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 12:04:25 AM

Why the hell do you need anti-virus software?  You're not stupid enough to keep your wallet on a Windows box are you?

This.

Installing "antivirus" software is a sure sign of n00bdom.  It says that you have no faith in your ability to retain control of your own system.

Sure... and you are one of the guys that disable javascript just in case some virus will try to penetrate your system? Wink

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 12:12:51 AM

This.

Installing "antivirus" software is a sure sign of n00bdom.  It says that you have no faith in your ability to retain control of your own system.

Sure... and you are one of the guys that disable javascript just in case some virus will try to penetrate your system? Wink

I think you meant Java and not JS.
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:16:08 AM

Why the hell do you need anti-virus software?  You're not stupid enough to keep your wallet on a Windows box are you?

This.

lol that was the joke :p
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 12:19:26 AM

This.

Installing "antivirus" software is a sure sign of n00bdom.  It says that you have no faith in your ability to retain control of your own system.

I think an AV is a good thing when you want to browse with lesser risks. It happens occasionally that websites are infected. Its better to be protected this way if you dont want to lose functions of the browser/websites. Its not secure but better than nothing. Only my thinking...

Pharaoh

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:23:03 AM

I just want to point out again for the nth time that if you bought $1,300 in bitcoin instead of preordered a BFL back when bitcoin was under $10 then you would have over  $11,700 today  Roll Eyes
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:23:29 AM

This.

I think an AV is a good thing when you want to browse with lesser risks. It happens occasionally that websites are infected. Its better to be protected this way if you dont want to lose functions of the browser/websites. Its not secure but better than nothing. Only my thinking...

You know what's more secure, if you think you'll need it?  A browser in a VM.  Save the VM state first, and when you're done browsing, just roll back.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:24:32 AM

I just want to point out again for the nth time that if you bought $1,300 in bitcoin instead of preordered a BFL back when bitcoin was under $10 then you would have over  $11,700 today  Roll Eyes

No. You would have ~130BTC. Who cares about fiat?

ButchHashidy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

...and the BitcoinKid

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:40:03 AM

This.

You know what's more secure, if you think you'll need it?  A browser in a VM.  Save the VM state first, and when you're done browsing, just roll back.
Added layer of protection, install sandboxie in the VM and launch the browser in that.  Install noscript add-on if you're extra worried.

Jumpin' Jack Hash is a gas gas gaas
Pharaoh

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:06:01 AM

I have not seen anybody selling goods or services in bitcoin that isn't pegged to the price in fiat. 130BTC buys a lot more now then it did 8 months ago, so you should care.
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:27:58 AM

I have not seen anybody selling goods or services in bitcoin that isn't pegged to the price in fiat. 130BTC buys a lot more now then it did 8 months ago, so you should care.

Avalon is now priced in BTC only, beginning with batch 3.

Like Yifu says "The loop has been closed."

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:31:08 AM

BFL should NEVER EVER announce a product withe a release date again. They should squirrel away with the VC and profits from FPGAs then one day go:
"Oh hey everybody, you can buy this awesome device NOW, we have them in stock"

Ha! The greed here is so thick why do that when ppl will throw money at u?
Pharaoh

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:48:39 AM

Avalon is now priced in BTC only, beginning with batch 3.

Like Yifu says "The loop has been closed."

Yeah,  as long as the price of bitcoin continues to rise when compared to fiat then it is a good idea for them since, I assume, they are paying all of their component manufacturers in fiat. The rise in bitcoin just means extra profit for them. If the price of bitcoin were to crash to $1 then I doubt they would continue to honor the current price.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:19:26 AM

I can tell you at least 10 goods or services sold in BTC and not pegged to fiat. First example: Avalon ASICs

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:40:05 AM

This.

Right, because REAL hackers can keep up with their 4GHz cpu and can check every command processed by it.
That is the true path of the CPfoo ninjas.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:48:28 AM

I can tell you at least 10 goods or services sold in BTC and not pegged to fiat. First example: Avalon ASICs

Yeah well, with the recent pricing of the avalons you can say that they generously float way above any pegged pricing.
The best bit is that avalon buys all its goods and services in fiat so they need to convert any bitcoins anyway.
They first peg their price, then start to move the peg around.
Expect stuff to start bleeding soon.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: