Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:42:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Antminer s5  (Read 815 times)
zeratul600 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 08:47:34 PM

Hi guys my antminer s5 is dead, the beagle bone died (already did the micro sd reimaging thing, it didn't work), I don't want to wait 3 weeks and spent 62$ buying a BB from amazon when i have no bullet proof tutorial about how to make it work (and add 2 months to ROI).

I ask for your help because i had seen that the daughter board has two empty data connector for hashing blades and an empty fan connector.

So my question is, what does it takes to build a 4 blades s5?

A) Do I just connect the two blades and fan from my broken antminer?

B) Connect the 2 hashing blades, and intercept the fan cables of  good miner and splice them with the fan of my broken miner?

I was wondering if there is no damaging side effect from doing this?

I have the Jan 07  Firmware, the one that came with the 5 machines.

Any help or advice that you could provide will be really appreciated .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 09:27:03 PM

Hi guys my antminer s5 is dead, the beagle bone died (already did the micro sd reimaging thing, it didn't work), I don't want to wait 3 weeks and spent 62$ buying a BB from amazon when i have no bullet proof tutorial about how to make it work (and add 2 months to ROI).

I ask for your help because i had seen that the daughter board has two empty data connector for hashing blades and an empty fan connector.

B) Connect the 2 hashing blades, and intercept the fan cables of  good miner and splice them with the fan of my broken miner?

Mine run fine with just plugging the blade cables into the S5 next to it. The only problem is the cables are short so you need to put them on their sides head to head. I use 1 fan per S5 so i use up the 2 Fan connectors.

Then i put a box fan blowing air through the fins and it solve the clutter heat problem and it let me lower the fans to 25%.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:31:28 PM

Mine run fine with just plugging the blade cables into the S5 next to it. The only problem is the cables are short so you need to put them on their sides head to head. I use 1 fan per S5 so i use up the 2 Fan connectors.

Then i put a box fan blowing air through the fins and it solve the clutter heat problem and it let me lower the fans to 25%.

The biggest thing is firmware I cannot remember which one does it but only certain ones have 4 ports active.  Others you can plug it in on hashing modules and it would do nothing.

I would look through S5 thread and find out which one it right firmware.  Then find someone who sales the cables and get longer cables so you can leave them in old case.

With those 2 things you should be able to mod one into 4 blades.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 11:57:50 PM

The biggest thing is firmware I cannot remember which one does it but only certain ones have 4 ports active.  Others you can plug it in on hashing modules and it would do nothing.

I would look through S5 thread and find out which one it right firmware.  Then find someone who sales the cables and get longer cables so you can leave them in old case.

is there some reason that i am unaware of to not use the latest firmware with fan controls? Seeing how loud those things are without it, the first thing i do is flash any S5 i buy to the fan control firmware.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:57:04 AM

is there some reason that i am unaware of to not use the latest firmware with fan controls? Seeing how loud those things are without it, the first thing i do is flash any S5 i buy to the fan control firmware.

I don't have latest firmware and have always done fine.   I don't mind loud noise from fans with it being in my mining area.

But I'm kinda the type I don't upgrade unless it gives me a feature I want.  I'm of the mindset if it works good... why upgrade? So I don't upgrade much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: