Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:15:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats in it for ASIC guys to sell?  (Read 2949 times)
ricksta (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:41:51 AM

if I have access to ASIC, why wouldn't I just mine all the bitcoins myself than sell the hardware?
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:22:31 AM

if I have access to ASIC, why wouldn't I just mine all the bitcoins myself than sell the hardware?

in the gold rush of the old west...  the hardware stores that sold the shovels and pans are who made the most money!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:43:06 AM

Risk. Mining may or may not turn out to be profitable. Selling the hardware the risk is minimal, especially when you can get customers to pre-order for months in advance while you sit on the money and have nothing to ship them.

Buy & Hold
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:47:37 AM

Yeah, what everyone else said.  Anyone that is willing to sell ASIC's is making profit immediately on sale of the ASIC and doesn't need to wait to mine to make any return, nor do they need to worry about the fluctuating market of BTC. 

If you're a miner, you put out money hoping that you'll make enough back (and hopefully more) to cover your cost outlay.  That could take months or even a year.

If you're a ASIC vendor, once someone pays you for that ASIC you've already made your profit.
quasarbtc

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:39:45 AM

Good to think about.
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:41:33 AM

Well timed speculation on the price of BTC will result in hefty returns and your BTC are much more liquid. Hardware? not as liquid.
If you invest in BTC now you'll be making(losing) money now, not waiting for ASICs.
Speculating is much more action packed, but you don't get cool computer stuff to show off.
Pick based on your risk appetite find what interests you. OR do both. Diversification is always good.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:35:16 AM

It is interesting no private entity went the ASIC route themselves.

Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:13:17 AM

in the gold rush of the old west...  the hardware stores that sold the shovels and pans are who made the most money!

This is by far the best analogy I have seen for the situation.

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 11:35:23 AM

It is interesting no private entity went the ASIC route themselves.
How can you tell?
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:53:33 PM

if mining power concentrates to a handful of people, BTC is doomed!
it is like you play a game and keep loosing, then you drop the game after a while Wink
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:59:37 PM

if I have 2Million Dollars
should I put it all on red or black or will the house win.

it's all down to how much cash you have to begin with really...

the other way would be to just buy up all teh coins on MTGox

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
whenhowwho

Activity: 96

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:23:01 PM

because if an asic company went through all the time and expense to develop and asic and then use it to mine it would be very short sighted. Most companies are in it for the long game. They could spend the large chunks of money for development and deploy their on product and then spend a long time breaking even or they could sell them and make a profit immediately while at the same time increasing their customer base which leads to larger investments and profits over and over again. Using their equipment just to mine ould be tantamount to getting a golden goose and then killing it to see here the eggs come from instead of just letting the goose do its thing

1HUy7T9SyNLTJCVX3p8KzftApYdWgcsRqD
bitboyben

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:05:29 PM

because if an asic company went through all the time and expense to develop and asic and then use it to mine it would be very short sighted. Most companies are in it for the long game. They could spend the large chunks of money for development and deploy their on product and then spend a long time breaking even or they could sell them and make a profit immediately while at the same time increasing their customer base which leads to larger investments and profits over and over again. Using their equipment just to mine ould be tantamount to getting a golden goose and then killing it to see here the eggs come from instead of just letting the goose do its thing

+1
And unfortunately if they do suceed to the expese of the rest of the community (as was said above) bitcoin dies. But perhaps if they are doomed by their own success once they bail due to a lack of interest the individuals may be able to jump back in.
However if they want to suceed they should be bringing in new business and community members with thier hoards of cash not just using it to dominate the current market.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:01:33 PM

if you keep all goodies to yourself the gang will change the algorithm and screw you.

also there is competition and difficulty rises quickly. so what you do is that you mine for a while until difficulty is at an optimum level (10 times now or so) and then sell the hardware.

legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:05:29 PM

Step 1: Claim you can make ASIC's
Step 2: Take everyone's moneys  Grin
Step 3: ? ? ? ? ? ?
Step 4: Profit!

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
C10H15N

Activity: 858
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:21:42 PM

Yep, the guys who made and sold the supplies (Samuel Brannan, Levi Strauss) and the guys who stored/exchanged/transported the gold (Wells Fargo) made out the best.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
bitboyben

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:50:08 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothschild_family

I dunno, these guys did pretty good trading bullion by exploiting local price differences in markets...

dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:41:15 AM

They don't have asics readily available to mine with.  With all this pre-ordering going on it is obvious the funds that are being sent in are being used to manufacture these things.  Without pre-orders we would have no asic.

poop!
ryann

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:31:26 PM

1. Get money from preorders.

2. Build Asics with preordered money

3. Delay release month after month

4. Mine with preordered asics while delaying

5. Eventually give the asics to their customers.

6. Double/Triple/Quadruple (or more) your profit rather than just selling the asics right away

Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 09:13:45 AM

They don't have asics readily available to mine with.  With all this pre-ordering going on it is obvious the funds that are being sent in are being used to manufacture these things.  Without pre-orders we would have no asic.

You stil don,t HAVE ASICs, they DO have ur money...

COINDER
COINDER
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: