Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:21:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 2.5 released  (Read 3894 times)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 06:21:49 PM

I ran the new 2.5.1 .exe on my Windows 7 system.  It ran my Trezor based wallet and it ran my software wallet.  I also ran this version on my Windows 8 system, testing it with my Trezor and it worked OK.  I did message signing tests and sending tranactions with the Trezor.

Looks good!  Thanks, Thomas!

Which 2.5.1 did you run, the one Thomas posted earlier i.e. the test one or the electrum-2.5.1-portable.exe ?

Just want to check because if it was the portable one then something must be wrong with my setup. Just tried sending from it again and nothing happens when I press on the send button.

modification date 10/23, MD5 DEB41AC7004E6C6C5B514E0C34C68664 electrum-2.5.1-setup.exe

This is a Windows installer, not a portable version.  (I can confirm that it runs on two of my systems using Trezor, but these systems had previously installed, Python Trezor,Cython, Libusb etc... which I did not uninstall, so it is conceivable that these images might not run on a plain vanilla Windows.)

I sent and received funds on my Windows 7 installation using a software wallet and a Trezor wallet. All four combinations worked. Also, I verified that sending funds to a payment protocol request works.

I think you are confusing the portable version electrum-2.5.1-portable.exe with the Windows installer electrum-2.5.1-setup.exe. Windows installer will store electrum data locally in %appdata% portable does not. Portable version can be installed and run from a USB drive or in an encrypted container and will not write to the host computer.

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 06:26:47 PM

I think you are confusing the portable version electrum-2.5.1-portable.exe with the Windows installer electrum-2.5.1-setup.exe. Windows installer will store electrum data locally in %appdata% portable does not. Portable version can be installed and run from a USB drive or in an encrypted container and will not write to the host computer.

No, I know the difference between the two, just thought I will try the Windows installer if the portable still did not want to work. Been running the portable since version 1.9.8 from a USB. I however think it might be the 'older' data files as mentioned. Will clear it all out just now and let it download everything again and see if that sorts it out.

EDIT: Not sure what the problem was yesterday when trying to send. Just tried to send quickly before deleting all the files and transaction went through without a problem. So portable 2.5.1. working fine now.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 07:34:11 PM

I have been using Electrum 2.3.2 for a long time. I have no issues with it. Because of the "Low-S values", I need to upgrade my Electrum. I downloaded 2.5.2 setup.exe for windows and it failed to start, saying something about "settings are wrong and need to reinstall". I tried 2.5.1 and it's the same.

I found this thread about "Electrum 2.4.4 and higher crushes at start on WinXP SP3 x86":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1219257.0

I also have Electrum on WindowsXP. I believe this is a known problem. There is a solution suggested in the above thread. I could install this "python" and download the python version of Electrum. But this is not I want to do for long term. Is Electrum going to drop support for Windows XP, or this is just a temporary glitch and will be fixed in later versions?

Thanks!
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:39:28 AM

I have been using Electrum 2.3.2 for a long time. I have no issues with it. Because of the "Low-S values", I need to upgrade my Electrum. I downloaded 2.5.2 setup.exe for windows and it failed to start, saying something about "settings are wrong and need to reinstall". I tried 2.5.1 and it's the same.

I found this thread about "Electrum 2.4.4 and higher crushes at start on WinXP SP3 x86":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1219257.0

I also have Electrum on WindowsXP. I believe this is a known problem. There is a solution suggested in the above thread. I could install this "python" and download the python version of Electrum. But this is not I want to do for long term. Is Electrum going to drop support for Windows XP, or this is just a temporary glitch and will be fixed in later versions?

Thanks!

Python is a programming language , and Electrum is written on Python so you will have to download it if you want to get this working , same goes for Multibit HD for example , it's written in Java so you will have to download Java if you want to get it working .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
medUSA
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 08:13:48 AM

Python is a programming language , and Electrum is written on Python so you will have to download it if you want to get this working , same goes for Multibit HD for example , it's written in Java so you will have to download Java if you want to get it working .

The "electrum-2.5.2-setup.exe" has python files included. Electrum should run right off the bat after installation without the need to install python separately. The same downloaded setup file installs fine on my other Windows 7 computer and not on a Windows XP notebook. That same notebook has been running Electrum from 1.9 to 2.3.2 without problems for a long time. Even Core runs fine on that notebook.
camponez

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:42:06 AM

I got this error when I tried to open on Ubuntu 15.10:

$ electrum
"sni-qt/11012" WARN  09:41:06.933 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE
QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment.
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x0
(...too many lines like this...)

Any ideas?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 10:08:41 AM

medUSA then I'm not so sure about it :/ You will get faster answer on Github since it's a technical issue .

$ electrum
"sni-qt/11012" WARN  09:41:06.933 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE

Any ideas?

What version are you using ? I saw ThomasV post somewhere and the error seems to be the same , he just asked the person to upgrade his wallet to the latest version . (which is 2.5.2 now)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
camponez

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 10:14:09 AM

medUSA then I'm not so sure about it :/ You will get faster answer on Github since it's a technical issue .

$ electrum

Any ideas?

What version are you using ? I saw ThomasV post somewhere and the error seems to be the same , he just asked the person to upgrade his wallet to the latest version . (which is 2.5.2 now)

I'm using the latest one. The problem seemed to be related to the Ubuntu upgrade to 15.10.

I tried to run another pyqt to see if the same error happen. It didn't. However, when I tried run electrum after that, it worked! Weird. But it's ok now.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 09:36:08 PM

new release today: version 2.5.3
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 06:54:52 AM

Hopefully
Code:
* installwizard: do not allow direct copy-paste of the seed
will make people more aware of the importance of the seed.

Though I still think it is not enough.
We should have like a pop up window with a big red exclamation mark telling them the importance.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:09:09 AM

Good job thomas , I just wanted to know , can we give suggestions for electrum and you add them ? Because I already contacted you about few important suggestions before however you never replied to me , so I'm not sure where to post them .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
shefchenko17

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

This mine is not mine! My mine is mine!

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 10:04:12 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 10:20:51 AM by shefchenko17

excuse me but how are we supposed to update this electrum sh*t? to uninstall  the old one and download  the new one or.. ?
So I downloaded from https://electrum.org/#download  THAT -> "Install Electrum-2.5.3.zip" and inside there was no .exe file or something like that. Could you please guys explain why is it so complicated and why cannot a man download a file/rar and then run it and then just get into his wallet...
I cannot send anything because of DUST or some other sh*t and I cannot run the new version so... GREAT WALLET thums up !!!! .........

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so!
medUSA
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2015, 10:33:50 AM

Thanks, I am going to try this update. Hopefully it will work under Windows XP. Will update this thread regardless.
torusJKL

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 11:45:24 AM

excuse me but how are we supposed to update this electrum sh*t? to uninstall  the old one and download  the new one or.. ?
So I downloaded from https://electrum.org/#download  THAT -> "Install Electrum-2.5.3.zip" and inside there was no .exe file or something like that. Could you please guys explain why is it so complicated and why cannot a man download a file/rar and then run it and then just get into his wallet...
I cannot send anything because of DUST or some other sh*t and I cannot run the new version so... GREAT WALLET thums up !!!! .........

Are you using Windows?

If you want to install the program download the Windows installer: electrum-2.5.3-setup.exe.
The zip file contains the python sources that you would need to run with a local python installation.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2015, 07:35:50 PM

I made another release, 2.5.4, that should fix the 'dust' issue.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
torusJKL

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 06:26:52 AM

I made another release, 2.5.4, that should fix the 'dust' issue.
Thanks for the fast fix.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: