Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 12:58:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is up with all these broke dicks requesting loans?  (Read 4115 times)
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:29:37 PM

Correction--you are both everyone's problem.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:35:42 PM

Correction--you are both everyone's problem.
Roll Eyes
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:40:21 PM

jwzguy

I do not doubt tomatocage's intentions, however it is his methods that are of concern.  There are probably millions of new user of bitcoin  - curiosity seekers who come here on a regular basis seeking out additional info or understanding of what this is all about as the media coverage grows.

While there are plenty of scammers and their methods are pretty obvious to most members who have been around for a while, there are probably more newbees who have no idea that their requests are considered "scammy" when they are just exploring.

There are plenty of idiots out  there who will (invest) and/or loan out their hard earned money to any anonymous person who asks.  Then there are legitimate lenders who will vet these requests based on there own and the borrowers risk profile.

To randomly call out anyone seeking a loan with a low post count is neither productive/nor helpful and in fact is destructive to the growth of our community.

Wouldn't it be better to possibly explain to these newbees how the system works rather then just attack them after their first or second post.

I see this frequently on the currency exchange board.  I have traded numerous time with newbess and those that pass my verification requests have been legitimate 99.9 % of the time.  

And frankly, early on I' was scammed more my Senior and Hero members because I mistakenly trusted that classification as someone  would could be trusted.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:51:13 PM

While there are plenty of scammers and their methods are pretty obvious to most members who have been around for a while, there are probably more newbees who have no idea that their requests are considered "scammy" when they are just exploring.
I understand what you're saying, however, from what I've seen in this subsection here over the last year or so, it's almost all scammers. A lot of them follow the same formulas - it's obvious what they are after from their insincere posts in the other sections. (I haven't seen TC "randomly" doing anything, btw.)

That being said, if you want to politely explain why they are acting in a suspicious manner every single time it comes up, be my guest. I have taken that approach on several occasions.

The flipside of your argument against "scaring away newbs who don't know any better" is the "less discerning lenders that don't know any better" who might take a closer look when suspicious behavior is identified when they see the thread.

The fact you were scammed by people with a high post count is not a counter-point. It means we should be even more on guard. Post count is certainly not enough to trust someone. I personally wouldn't lend to anyone I hadn't met (or didn't at least know someone I had met.)

SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:58:58 PM

I understand what you're saying, however, from what I've seen in this subsection here over the last year or so, it's almost all scammers. A lot of them follow the same formulas - it's obvious what they are after from their insincere posts in the other sections. (I haven't seen TC "randomly" doing anything, btw.)

Same people who keeps registering over and over again ..O_o

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:02:14 PM

Same people who keeps registering over and over again ..O_o
+1
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:05:25 PM

I am not a lender either, and would not trade nor lend to anyone with out having some connection to their identity in the real world for collection purposes.

I'll say this again, I started a watch list some time ago which was my subtle way to say , these are new or existing users how may not have scammed anyone yet, but who are exhibiting suspicious behavior in my interactions with them.

So instead of calling them out immediately other user could check the watch list before executing a trade or a loan and they could be removed from the watch list if they turned out to be legitimate, or branded a scammer if that was the eventual case.  

Unfortunately is did not seem to be useful so it was not maintained.

In any event one turned out to be a scammer, one disappeared after being called out and another user was taken off the list after successful trades

(this was used for currency exchange and not for lending)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=96233.msg1061068#msg1061068

I do know johnthedong hat started a defaulted creditors list some where But I'm not sure if that is maintained anymore either.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: