Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:52:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-10-30 The Economic Times (Reuters) - BTC Could Tarnish Central Banks' Image  (Read 2131 times)
ben-abuya (OP)

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 09:50:23 PM

The growth of virtual currencies could make criminal activity easier and lead the public to blame central banks for failing to prevent it, according to European Central Bank research.

Virtual currencies such as Bitcoin are digital payments for goods which are often used for online gaming and are usually controlled by private sector developers.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international-business/virtual-currencies-could-tarnish-central-banks-image-ecb-research/articleshow/17011653.cms

This Reuters piece is the first wave of commentary on the big ECB Virtual Currencies paper which discusses Bitcoin at considerable length.

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 09:57:59 PM

It begins.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:59:31 PM

It begins.

My exact thought when I saw the title of this thread.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:39:48 PM

As always, sensational headline.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:43:39 PM

Central banks tarnish Bitcoin's image  Grin
Ascholten

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:47:02 PM

Do not steal from the people.  Governments HATE the competition!!

This is all about the power,  if the 'central authority' does not control the flow of money, then it does not control the people.

I tell you what, with the world economy going to shit like it is,  paper money might soon be worthless.  Bitcoins and gold might be the only viable currency around, because bitcoins are not tied to any monetary system or anyone's failed banks, and because gold is universal.

To shut down bitcoins they'd have to shut down the internet world wide.  They can try but those who are savvy can get around any blockades.  As long as there are radio's and old modems around, you can communicate.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
Esoteric

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 01:26:51 AM

The growth of virtual currencies could make criminal activity easier and lead the public to blame central banks for failing to prevent it, according to European Central Bank research.

Virtual currencies such as Bitcoin are digital payments for goods which are often used for online gaming and are usually controlled by private sector developers.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international-business/virtual-currencies-could-tarnish-central-banks-image-ecb-research/articleshow/17011653.cms

This Reuters piece is the first wave of commentary on the big ECB Virtual Currencies paper which discusses Bitcoin at considerable length.

Was that actually written by Reuters? It isn't a great piece. It is factual but offers no new information or opinion; all the information is already in the ECB report. "Point X gives Y... which you already know".
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 01:35:12 AM

Do you think they bought any coins ?

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 04:13:32 AM

To shut down bitcoins they'd have to shut down the internet world wide.  They can try but those who are savvy can get around any blockades.  As long as there are radio's and old modems around, you can communicate.

I read the entire ECB report and thought it was pretty good, objective and accurate when discussing Bitcoin. The 'trust central banks' slime oozed throughout though. The ECB shoulder shrugs about that in the report on page 43.

Furthermore, the global scope that most of these virtual communities enjoy not only hinders the identification of the jurisdiction under which the system’s rules and procedures should eventually be interpreted, it also means the location of the participants and the scheme owner are hard to establish. As a consequence, governments and central banks would face serious difficulties if they tried to control or ban any virtual currency scheme, and it is not even clear to what extent they are permitted to obtain information from them. In the particular case of Bitcoin, which is a decentralised peer-to-peer virtual currency scheme, there is not even a central point of access, i.e. there is no server that could be shut down if the authorities deemed it necessary.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 07:09:47 AM

Wow, Satoshi really is a Japanese programmer, the ECB told us so. /sarcasm

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 07:22:03 AM

IMO, not a good article (not a good writer).

He got the ECB report, cross read it and took out all the FUD.

Quote from:  The Economic Times
"Given the legal uncertainty surrounding these schemes... they can be used by criminals, fraudsters and money launderers to perform their illegal activities," said the research, which was released on Monday.

The report from the ECB is neutral and very well written.

Quote from:  ECB report page 25
However, practically identical problems can also occur when using cash, thus Bitcoin can be
considered to be another variety of cash, i.e. digital cash. Cash can be used for drug dealing and
money laundering too; cash can also be stolen, not from a digital wallet, but from a physical one; and
cash can also be used for tax evasion purposes. The question is not so much related to the format of
money as such (physical or digital), but rather to the use people make of it

They take it and make a negative article out of it. I miss the time when press was just objective instead of printing their own opinion.

You can find the full report here: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 09:32:00 AM

Wow liked the report. Materials drawn from this report should form the party line on the 'deflationary spiral' nonsense.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 09:51:09 AM

IMO, not a good article (not a good writer).

It's a typical yellow pages propaganda hit piece.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:17:51 AM

It begins.

My exact thought when I saw the title of this thread.

Ascholten

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:21:18 PM

To cut through all the bullshit.

We can't shut it down if we disagree with it, and can not control it ourselves and twist it to OUR needs.     THAT is the crux of their dislike of it, THEY don't own it, THEY can't easily stop it.  What are they going to do, outlaw bitcoins in the entire country?   It would not surprise me one bit to see any of these filthy little despots operating in the US now try something like that.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:37:57 PM

Disregarding the fact that preventing criminal activity is not in ECB mandate, rather price stability (failed) and financial system functionality (failed) are .... the massive criminal activity in the financial sphere that they have been silent on like LIBOR rate riggings (and perhaps complicit with) seems to take a back seat in importance to bitcoin commentary ...  Cheesy

keynet10

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 11:25:09 PM

Disregarding the fact that preventing criminal activity is not in ECB mandate, rather price stability (failed) and financial system functionality (failed) are .... the massive criminal activity in the financial sphere that they have been silent on like LIBOR rate riggings (and perhaps complicit with) seems to take a back seat in importance to bitcoin commentary ...  Cheesy

So true, people are starting to wake up to who the real criminal fraudsters in this world are. Jamie Dimon please stand up....................
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: