Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me complete my goal  (Read 2978 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:27:17 AM

a letter with the CC on it with ordered picks should be enough right? I mean, I don't just have a link to the CC on the main page but rather each pick states who the author is and that the pick image/logo was released under the CC-BY-SA. I believe the bitcoin logo falls under this somewhere.

I would definitely include the letter, to make sure that the attribution aspect is covered and that the "intact" requirement of the notice is satisfied.

You've already said that you're intending to put your own logo on the back of the picks.  I'd consider stamping them with the recognised symbol for CC-BY-SA as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/CC-BY-SA.png

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logansryche (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:30:16 AM

Was planning on it - that way customers know that the images were obtained by CC.
It was also brought to my attention the the link on the first post was out of date and is fixed now >.<
Snaer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:05:35 AM

So the images you are using have CC licenses attached? I asked above but you might have missed it.
Can you give us some examples of the logos you want to use?
Thanks hon.

-Zoey
Not sure what you mean as I have alot.

That's fine. Just give us 5 examples of the logos you're going to use. Are they from popular brands like Coca-Cola? Is the BitCoin logo on there?

Just some examples hon!

-Zoey
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:16:38 AM

was thinking of the bitcoin logo, the 7-11 logo, black and decker logo, the borderlands logo and a few others(I have a list of what I want to put onto a pick somewhere). If you came to me and wanted a logo put onto a pick, I'd do that as well and only charge the logo price(currently 80 cents). All orders(regular and custom) would obviously have a minimum order of 1.

This brings me to my next point: shipping. Shiping on pick orders 1-20 in the US would run you 80 cents, and $2 worldwide I think(I'll have to look). Pick orders 20+ will then carry the US flat rate of $8, Mexico/Canada $12, and Australia/UK $20. I'm only restricting orders to Nigeria for obvious reasons. I don't think I can get the rates any cheaper then what they are.
Snaer

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:03:55 AM

You can't use any of those logos as they're not licensed under Creative Commons, hon.  Sad

-Zoey
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:06:57 AM

Actually I can ask they be released to me under CC for my use(although not sure who to ask for releasing the bitcoin logo under CC o.O)
Snaer

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:14:50 AM

No, whomever creates the work has to release it under a Creative Commons license. If the designer of a work does not specifically release their work under some sort of license it's automatically considered under copyright by US law. The logo designer can get more protection by filing for a copyright or trademark.

None of these corporations are going to release any of their corporate logos under a Creative Commons license as that would most likely invalidate their trademark and at the very least dilute their brand.

You could request to use their logo for your commercial product, but they would charge in the ten of thousands of dollars if they did it at all.

The CC license doesn't give you the right to use any work you wish, it's not like a drivers license, hon. It's something that the producer of the content has to apply to their work.

-Zoey
repentance

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:15:59 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 06:27:46 AM by repentance

was thinking of the bitcoin logo, the 7-11 logo, black and decker logo, the borderlands logo and a few others(I have a list of what I want to put onto a pick somewhere). If you came to me and wanted a logo put onto a pick, I'd do that as well and only charge the logo price(currently 80 cents). All orders(regular and custom) would obviously have a minimum order of 1.

This brings me to my next point: shipping. Shiping on pick orders 1-20 in the US would run you 80 cents, and $2 worldwide I think(I'll have to look). Pick orders 20+ will then carry the US flat rate of $8, Mexico/Canada $12, and Australia/UK $20. I'm only restricting orders to Nigeria for obvious reasons. I don't think I can get the rates any cheaper then what they are.

The Black and Decker logo is a trademark registered with the US Patent & Trademark Office.  The 7-11 logo is also a registered trademark.  They are additionally protected by copyright laws and your intended use does not fall within fair use provisions.  Using someone else's registered trademark for a commercial purpose is something which requires the express permission of the trademark holder (and the copyright holder as well if they are different people/entities).  It's very easy to find out if a company logo is a registered trademark.  

Actually I can ask they be released to me under CC for my use(although not sure who to ask for releasing the bitcoin logo under CC o.O)

Actually, you can't.  By definition, a CC licence makes a work available for use by everyone, not just by you.  The reason people trademark logos is so that they can control who uses that logo and when they do licence others to use their logo (which isn't especially uncommon) there are generally significant licensing fees and/or royalties involved.  Many companies have existing merchandising/licensing agreements contracts which they would be breaking if they were to suddenly make their images available for use by everyone free of charge.

You might be able to get away with cutting picks from expired gift/store cards issued by the companies concerned, but I wouldn't count on it if your actually selling them and especially in large quantities.  That's the kind of thing they generally don't care about if you're doing it for personal use but can get very shitty about if you're doing it commercially.

It should not cost $20 to ship 20 guitar picks to Australia.  Amazon has sent me books by international express post for less than that and guitar picks weigh a lot less than books.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

If you look up a small padded envelope by priority mail to australia is $19 and change, and yes, my words once again getting me in trouble. B&D is a trademark, correct. The bitcoin logo, however is not, although not sure who i'd ask permission to use that on a pick. I'd probly have to knock off logo picks then if I truely can't use them.

EDIT: I just found a site offering royalty free logos for grabs, I might end up using them or find some way to use licensed logos. Good thing you folks are here to help iron things out o.O
repentance

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:42:08 AM

If you look up a small padded envelope by priority mail to australia is $19 and change, and yes, my words once again getting me in trouble. B&D is a trademark, correct. The bitcoin logo, however is not, although not sure who i'd ask permission to use that on a pick. I'd probly have to knock off logo picks then if I truely can't use them.

I'm not sure whether the Bitcoin logo itself has ever been trademarked (there are reasons why it might be difficult to trademark).  There are several trademark registrations of the Bitcoin name though.  I can't remember who holds which trademark in what class and where but MtGox holds at least one,  Paymium holds another, and someone else holds the trademark in France.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105638.msg1231502#msg1231502

For the most part, people have registered the Bitcoin trademarks so that patent/trademark trolls can't register them in "first to file" countries and prevent them being used by the community.  For a very long time one of the reasons people wanted a Bitcoin foundation was so that it could hold the trademarks for the benefit of all Bitcoin users.

People have been using the various Bitcoin logos on commercial products for a while now without any dramas so you're probably safe in respect of that one.

Definitely keep looking for logos and other images which are already in the public domain or already licensed under CC.  Expired trademarks might also be a good thing to look for as many people will have never seen some old corporate logos from decades ago so they might have a certain "retro" appeal just because they're different.

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:46:14 AM

yep, doing that now so it doesn't bite me later.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:01:24 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who's pushed me to get this started correctly, however, it was suggested privately by some people that I preorder a jalapeno and use the coins mined from that to fund this and any other future projects. I think i'm going to go in that direction. It'll give me more time to iron out any other issues I may or might have.

-Matt
Snaer

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 11:20:42 PM

Hon, by the time the Jalapeño gets to you, BFL's ASIC boxes will have pushed the difficulty so far up you'll never make your money back. Why don't you just put the money you'd spend on a Jalapeño towards this project?

At this point you're not going to have enough, or make enough money to catch up on mining. (My finance classes are finally paying off. Cost-Benefit-Analysis FTW! LOL!)

-Zoey
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:09:58 AM

At this point you're not going to have enough, or make enough money to catch up on mining. (My finance classes are finally paying off. Cost-Benefit-Analysis FTW! LOL!)

-Zoey
If what you're saying is true, then even if I wanted to get into mining I couldn't get into mining.
I feel a big bubble bursting if the difficulty gets too high.
repentance

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:27:52 AM

-Zoey
If what you're saying is true, then even if I wanted to get into mining I couldn't get into mining.
I feel a big bubble bursting if the difficulty gets too high.

Your two big issues are that you're not going to get your jalapenos before the block reward halves and that by the time people who place orders now receive their ASICs a whole heap of hashing power will have been thrown at the network by those who had earlier pre-orders and received the first deliveries.  You will still be able to mine some BTC, but your returns may be slow and small.    Hopefully they'd be enough to cover your loan repayments and your electricity costs, but you need someone to run the numbers for you (lots of people in the custom hardware forum are good at this) and work out whether you'd have anything left to put into funding the things you want to do with the coins you mine. 

You could probably earn the $300 you borrow to buy the ASICs a whole lot faster by doing odd jobs in the real world than you can earn it by mining.  Likewise, you could probably earn $20 to buy stock for your guitar pick business by mowing one lawn.  The amount you can earn from mining with your jalapenos once they're paid off might be good for "hobby" money, but it's unlikely to be enough for funding expenses, whether they're business or personal.

The guitar pick business is also unlikely to bring in more than "hobby" money at first, so you really need to be looking at setting up a lot of income streams if you're going to choose ones which don't earn much or you need to think about income streams which will provide a greater return.  You need to be making a weekly profit in excess of what you would earn in a minimum wage job in order to make these ventures worthwhile.

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:40:35 AM

Well I guess it my situation everything would be considered a hobby, but yeah. Things to consider before continuing.
Snaer

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:53:14 PM

Well I guess it my situation everything would be considered a hobby, but yeah. Things to consider before continuing.

Do you have a real world job hon? Following your threads on here it seems like you have a lot of ideas and are very passionate about things.

-Zoey
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 06:05:41 PM

Do you have a real world job hon? Following your threads on here it seems like you have a lot of ideas and are very passionate about things.

-Zoey
I don't and I won't go into why for personal reasons. I'm a self-proclaimed ideas man. I always have.
I literally dream ideas in my sleep, and with bitcoins setup the way they are, my ideas gear themselves towards that.
Snaer

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 05:25:09 PM

Welcome to Cosmic Picks
Ever shop for a custom guitar pick to find out either the minumum order is 100 or the prices are astronimical? We at Cosmic Picks understand and pride ourselves at having the nations lowest price on regular and custom guitar picks! Guitar picks come in a variety of colors and materials using the 351 standard and theres no minimum order!
Whither you're looking for picks to throw to adoring fans, need a cool way to promote your company or event, or looking for some rock'n favors for a wedding or birthday, Cosmic Picks is here to help.

Hon, you might want to run a spell check on this. I also can't figure out why you've got pictures of iPods up there? It also looks like you're still trying to sell picks with corporate logos on them. I thought you decided not to do that?

-Zoey
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 05:41:44 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, website is now in maintenance mode.
Visitors can visit, but will be prompted with a maintenance prompt.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: