Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:24:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Device!?!?  (Read 686 times)
keora (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:44:00 PM

Hi Guys!

I am probably just too dumb, but I have configured my CGMINER but it just won't start.

It always tells me that it can't find no devices and that it wait's for an USB hotplug... Sad

I just got a PC and Laptop that keeps running at my university for nothing (it has to be running) and I just want to use both for mining.

Pls help! Smiley

Cheers Stefan Huh
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5033

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 12:51:02 PM

Hi Guys!

I am probably just too dumb, but I have configured my CGMINER but it just won't start.

It always tells me that it can't find no devices and that it wait's for an USB hotplug... Sad

I just got a PC and Laptop that keeps running at my university for nothing (it has to be running) and I just want to use both for mining.

Pls help! Smiley

Cheers Stefan Huh

which OS did you use?
It sounds like you want to use your cpu instead of an asic, in that case did you do this when compiling?:

./configure --enable-cpumining && make

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
keora (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:58:41 PM

Windows 7 - yeah wanna use CPU - where do I enter this line?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5033

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 01:03:21 PM

Windows 7 - yeah wanna use CPU - where do I enter this line?

I'm not really familiar with mining under windows... For linux, you just install the dependancy's, clone the git source and compile cgminer for the ASIC you're going to use (or in your case, compile it for CPU mining).

I guess there must be precompiled binaries available for cpumining... Altough i would suggest you mine something else. There are a couple altcoins out there that can be mined with your cpu, but mining sha256 (bitcoin) with your cpu will make you no BTC at all...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 01:21:28 PM

Hi Guys!

Pls help! Smiley

Cheers Stefan Huh

Don't do this on your laptop.  Honestly you will thank me later on.  You are not going to be mining much with cpu at all.

Pushing a laptop CPU is not good longterm they just don't have the cooling as desktops have.  They are not meant for high intensity 24x7.  I would not risk it and keep the laptop for just regular use.   And after you mine with desktop you will see CPU will make you barely anything.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 01:39:54 PM

Cgminer only mines with dedicated bitcoin mining hardware plugged into your computer. Neither your CPU nor your GPU can be used to mine bitcoin with.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:07:03 PM

Cgminer only mines with dedicated bitcoin mining hardware plugged into your computer. Neither your CPU nor your GPU can be used to mine bitcoin with.
This is the creator of the software he did this to keep people from ruining their computers, so if you are following an old guide op it is no longer correct as difficulty (how much power needed to mine a block) has gone up. If you just want to play with bitcoin I suggest buying a sidehack usb or if you want to play with altcoins I suggest using this always on pc for staking, if you go with the later look into the altcoin sub topic for more information.

I would second this if your wanting to learn but in a order for a compac. You can learn mining for cheap and it's also fun.

I have a feeling OP is in the dorm or something with "running at my university ".   So he might be wanting to mine on "free" electricity.  If this is true look at asics that are used and do some ROI math.  Also look into sound and heat.  Some you honestly would not want to mine with if your in some one room dorm room type space.

I've seen some really nice school housing and some really old housing so I'm not sure what OP has.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: