Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:36:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you calculate before deciding to Fold or Call?  (Read 2337 times)
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 11:23:46 PM

You should have a good idea of what your odds are that you can win or not.  Now nothing is for sure in poker because anything can happen, but if you have say a 50% chance to win, and you have invested a lot of money in there it might be worth it to call depending on how much they raise.

50% chance to win is just a coin flip. Do you invest large ammounts of money in coin flips?
That's one of the problems in poker, people don't really compare the "pot odds" (what you need to invest) with the "game odds" (your chances of winning that hand). If the pot has 5BTC and you need to invest 6 BTC, in order to play, and your game odds are just 50%, then you should just fold, because it wont be profitable in the long run.

I might have just 20% of chances to win, if the pot offers me a 50% profit return I will stay there.
You really must compate pot odds with game odds, it does not matter if you have a high chance of winning or not, it only matter if it profitable in the long run or not.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 12:02:54 AM

You should have a good idea of what your odds are that you can win or not.  Now nothing is for sure in poker because anything can happen, but if you have say a 50% chance to win, and you have invested a lot of money in there it might be worth it to call depending on how much they raise.

50% chance to win is just a coin flip. Do you invest large ammounts of money in coin flips?
That's one of the problems in poker, people don't really compare the "pot odds" (what you need to invest) with the "game odds" (your chances of winning that hand). If the pot has 5BTC and you need to invest 6 BTC, in order to play, and your game odds are just 50%, then you should just fold, because it wont be profitable in the long run.

I might have just 20% of chances to win, if the pot offers me a 50% profit return I will stay there.
You really must compate pot odds with game odds, it does not matter if you have a high chance of winning or not, it only matter if it profitable in the long run or not.

So basically you are just rewording exactly what I wrote.  If I have a 50% chance of winning and I am invested 10BTC.  And the raise is .5BTC  You are damn right I am calling.  If you fold you are an idiot. 

You went the other way saying if you have 20% odds with 50% profit return, then you will stay.
SyGambler
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804

guess who's back

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 02:05:54 AM

I'm sorry mate but your example is kind wrong , when the pot has 5 BTC it's impossible to invest 6 btc
I guess you meant when the pot has 5 btc and someone raise 6 btc then you are investing 6 btc to win 11 btc not 5 btc
so right now you are getting 11 to 6 and the odds are not 50%
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:00:30 AM

funny thing is that, when i watch those pro who play, they fold or call is not depend on the pot, it is mainly depend on their cards and possible opponent cards. if they have a little better cards, they hardly will call when pot gets big but when they get big cards, they will try to think of how to make the pot as big as possible. i still think the main factor is their cards and little on pot.
enhu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 02:30:00 PM

playing on the table is different than playing online. observing how your opponent act may help you decide. if i can see he doubts his cards, he might just have pair or so. i like it When hero call wins.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:05:18 PM

Its MUST that you calculate before every call or fold!In fact,you should be calculating in your head after each move as you will be aware how deep you're into the game.Its been observed maths experts are good at poker games ,just for the fact that they're good with numbers.
StevenLiang

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:49:02 PM

playing on the table is different than playing online. observing how your opponent act may help you decide. if i can see he doubts his cards, he might just have pair or so. i like it When hero call wins.

Yeah, i like that too.
But sometimes when you play on big blind bet table on real table. Is too many bluff there.  Undecided

I prefer play real poker with friends with small amount of money.
It's fun, and no body lose actually.
Aemon

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:59:55 PM

I'm sorry mate but your example is kind wrong , when the pot has 5 BTC it's impossible to invest 6 btc
I guess you meant when the pot has 5 btc and someone raise 6 btc then you are investing 6 btc to win 11 btc not 5 btc
so right now you are getting 11 to 6 and the odds are not 50%

Sorry I meant when the pot has 5BTC and someone raises it 6BTC.  And you have 50% chance of winning you probably should not call.  It depends on how much of that 5BTC is yours though, if you had 1BTC invested in there then it is entirely different vs say 2BTC or 2.5BTC.
paka

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:29:16 PM

You do not need calculation in poker, its just knowing that you have a weak or good hands. Besides in online poker you have a time wether to call or fold. So, probably you do not have much time to calculate
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 07:49:27 AM

You do not need calculation in poker, its just knowing that you have a weak or good hands. Besides in online poker you have a time wether to call or fold. So, probably you do not have much time to calculate

You need to evaluate from the previous step in the game to see what cards others might have, then take the decision accordingly. If others bluff, you can call.
BTC Tipster

Activity: 182

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 08:25:28 AM

It actually depends on your cards, cards on deck and your opponent.

enhu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:49:35 AM

You need to evaluate from the previous step in the game to see what cards others might have, then take the decision accordingly. If others bluff, you can call.

its not like you as a player can see the facial expression of your opponent that you can tell whether a player is bluffing.  the only clue i can thhink of is when everyone else folds, then most probably all ours cards are worth folding.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
paka

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:59:22 AM

Evaluation is different from calculation buddy. You can't even see the cards of the others, its just guessing if they do have strong or weak cards
fravia

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:34:50 PM

Evaluation is different from calculation buddy. You can't even see the cards of the others, its just guessing if they do have strong or weak cards

Umm.. Honestly, there are both, evaluation and calculation in poker. Not only u gotta evaluate the body language of ur enemies but u also have to calculate a bit, e.g. chances of getting that and that card (on the river).

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
paka

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:40:34 PM

Umm.. Honestly, there are both, evaluation and calculation in poker. Not only u gotta evaluate the body language of ur enemies but u also have to calculate a bit, e.g. chances of getting that and that card (on the river).

Its getting of topic and seriously body language? you got to be psychic in order for you to look at your opponents in the computer  Grin
Aemon

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:41:59 PM

Its getting of topic and seriously body language? you got to be psychic in order for you to look at your opponents in the computer  Grin

We aren't talking about gambling on the computer.  We are talking about live events, poker online is not a very skilled game at all.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:16:49 PM

So basically you are just rewording exactly what I wrote.  If I have a 50% chance of winning and I am invested 10BTC.  And the raise is .5BTC  You are damn right I am calling.  If you fold you are an idiot. 

You went the other way saying if you have 20% odds with 50% profit return, then you will stay.

In your example it seems that you are giving more attention to your winning chances. I was just trying to say that I don't care about the winning chances alone. They could just be 20% or 1%, if comparing the pot odds with the winning odds proves to be a profitable play in the long run I will take it, even if I will probably lose that hand, because the winning odds are low.

The problem with most players is that they only look to winning odds most of the time.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

StevenLiang

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 05:47:53 AM

For some reason your statement is good because we already bet a lot money on pot and we still have more than 50% odds for win. But in poker we really need to see the game play and the opponent.

Is that bluff or maybe they got flush or straight on 'turn' or 'river'.
In that case our 50% odds maybe just Two Pair or Threes.
StevenLiang

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 05:52:54 AM

In your example it seems that you are giving more attention to your winning chances. I was just trying to say that I don't care about the winning chances alone. They could just be 20% or 1%, if comparing the pot odds with the winning odds proves to be a profitable play in the long run I will take it, even if I will probably lose that hand, because the winning odds are low.

The problem with most players is that they only look to winning odds most of the time.

Yes, a lot people play on that way, and just pro player who play well and see the game with 'Wide View'.
BitOffer

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 06:01:30 AM

Things I should consider before I fold are call.
1. My chances of winning
2. The pot amount
3. My total chips
4. The opponent
If my odds of wining is above 50 percent, I would call.
If pot amount is already big and the amount I need to call is small I will call. Provided I have above 25% chances I will win.
If I have many chips and the amount I need to call is very small and I have chance to win I will call.
If the opponent is a confirm bluffer I will call If I feel I have better cards than him.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: