Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:02:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S3 problem  (Read 950 times)
rithym (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 07:02:17 AM

Hi to all

I have Bitmain S3 have been mining last few months no problems. Couple days ago I power up the miner and both fans run flat out but no mining. I thought perhaps it is software issue so I tried a factory reset using a paperclip near the ethernet port and once rebooted found the miner on my network and re-installed the configuration .gz file that I saved months ago. This made no difference still when I power up the S3 the fans run flat out but no mining. I have also changed the psu I have a 32A, a 40A and an ATX Corsair CX600 which puts out 46A on the 12V rail. Swapping between these supplies also makes no difference the S3 fans just continue to run flat out with no mining.
Not sure what to try next any help much appreciated

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 04:12:39 PM

Sometimes this can happen from software corruption or using old configs on newer firmware.  I would update the miner with the latest firmware. Do not keep settings or upload a settings file.  Again make sure you do not keep settings.

Manual configuring everything after uploading the newest firmware.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
rithym (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:00:27 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions I tried the new firmware with and without old settings but still the same issue. I found a nice chap from Finland on Ebay who sold me a replacement control board for 50 dollars not the same as original but an adapted S1 control board. S3 works fine now at 250 Frequency it's pulling 420W at the plug and mining just over 500 GH/S with no X's and very low errors (0.01%) Nice little 400W heater in my bedsit so far no need for extra heater it's been down to 5 C outside but remains 23-25 C in the room.

Bitmain support was non-existent despite several emails asking for spares.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201460056095?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope this helps someone else with a problem board I have read it is possible to recover the board corruption using an adapter & software but this would be beyond my scope.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 07:31:03 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions I tried the new firmware with and without old settings but still the same issue. I found a nice chap from Finland on Ebay who sold me a replacement control board for 50 dollars not the same as original but an adapted S1 control board. S3 works fine now at 250 Frequency it's pulling 420W at the plug and mining just over 500 GH/S with no X's and very low errors (0.01%) Nice little 400W heater in my bedsit so far no need for extra heater it's been down to 5 C outside but remains 23-25 C in the room.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201460056095?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope this helps someone else with a problem board I have read it is possible to recover the board corruption using an adapter & software but this would be beyond my scope.

Sorry that you had to go this way. Sound like an expensive replacement, when you consider thats half of what a S3 go for at the moment. You might be able to sell the controller to someone who has some TTL adapter or whatever tools they need to try to unbrick it. If thats even the problem.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
blockchainmines

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:50:37 AM

Sorry that you had to go this way. Sound like an expensive replacement, when you consider thats half of what a S3 go for at the moment. You might be able to sell the controller to someone who has some TTL adapter or whatever tools they need to try to unbrick it. If thats even the problem.

Well since it serves dual purpose as a space heater I say good job, however if it wasn't, doing that with that rate that the difficulty is climbing it is hard to justify dumping too much money of any into any S3's at this stage in the game IMO.  Unless of course you have super cheap power and are looking to hang on to any bitcoins you earn, but the space heater is a the bonus in this story.  Good work!!
rithym (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:56:18 PM

I do actually have 3KW solar array which, even with the S3 running 24/7, still manages to fully charge my battery bank daily when the sun is shining which is most days here in the Algarve. So, I am not paying the electric company as such but just recovering some of the initial solar investment I made 3 years ago plus I might end up with a bitcoin or two by the time the difficulty doubles again I believe middle of next year. I turn the unit off on cloudy days to divert max energy to battery charging. Once the warmer weather returns in March I will put the S3 back in my workshop don't need the added heat in my room then.        
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:06:21 PM

I do actually have 3KW solar array which, even with the S3 running 24/7, still manages to fully charge my battery bank daily when the sun is shining which is most days here in the Algarve. So, I am not paying the electric company as such but just recovering some of the initial solar investment I made 3 years ago plus I might end up with a bitcoin or two by the time the difficulty doubles again I believe middle of next year. I turn the unit off on cloudy days to divert max energy to battery charging. Once the warmer weather returns in March I will put the S3 back in my workshop don't need the added heat in my room then.        

And you're making use of the heat, thats pretty nice. How much do the solar array and the battery bank cost? And hold long does the battery bank last?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
rithym (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 02:11:29 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2015, 07:09:36 AM by rithym

How much do the solar array and the battery bank cost? And hold long does the battery bank last?

All in with controller, batteries and PV panels I paid around €4000. Should get 5 -7 years from the battery bank this system knocks off approx €100 a month from electric bill so payback is around 40 months... the space heater S3 and Bitcoin is just a bonus.

Also, I wanted to add for anyone else reading that the new controller board I fitted does not allow the cover to be put back on the S3 and this has been a blessing in disguise. OC the unit to 250 Frequency now runs at just over 500 GH/s but temperatures are much lower remaining stable at 41 C. Temp's used to creep up around 45 - 47 with the cover on. Fans run always at 1,920 rpm which is not too noisy for me.    
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: