Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:05:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: rumors of 3.5Th antminer S7 "lite"  (Read 8641 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 07:38:43 AM

Get your shit together bitmain.  Also put out a miner with very low sound level, like the s3 for example.  people will buy it even if its less efficient and more expensive

i don't know what they can not afford better fan, it's not like they cost too much or whatever, i can buy with for $5 or less on amazon with the plus program

they should really do this, or at least provide a fan with 3-4 pin, so we can lower the cfm
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:49:19 AM

There is no such thing as a "quiet" high flow fan, to get to the range of CFM they need to achieve decent cooling they HAVE to go with a fan that makes quite a bit of noise.

TANSTAAFL.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:29:22 PM

There is no such thing as a "quiet" high flow fan, to get to the range of CFM they need to achieve decent cooling they HAVE to go with a fan that makes quite a bit of noise.

TANSTAAFL.

Ive replaced nearly all my fans with same or better cooling. And the noise is easily two to height time lower, so yea the one Bitmain use are not bad but they are very cheap and that is why they go with them, because its much more efficient cost wise to use those.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:14:23 PM

I have yet to see any company come out with something modular where you can just buy a main trunk and keep adding things easily to it.  I guess the modular add-on idea hasn't taken off.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 01:35:36 AM

there is no point business-wise to have another 2boards design! simple as that!

the fan used from s4, s5 till now is a crap and a piece of shit ! Shocked
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 01:42:49 AM

I have yet to see any company come out with something modular where you can just buy a main trunk and keep adding things easily to it.  I guess the modular add-on idea hasn't taken off.
It would need some R&D before it takes off. Most R&D goes towards efficiency. Cant really blame them since the water cooled unit failed miserably.

there is no point business-wise to have another 2boards design! simple as that!

the fan used from s4, s5 till now is a crap and a piece of shit ! Shocked

Just halve the amount of boards. Fill the gap with bigger heatsinks. Make profit from people who are too cheap to buy a s7.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
Indianacoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 04:45:37 PM

Now they are trying to hide their shadiness by releasing S7 lite with lower hashrate! Roll Eyes I think they need to change this BM1385 chip in order to overcome with heating and efficiency issues. At least in S8 maybe! Wink
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 10:35:32 PM

Now they are trying to hide their shadiness by releasing S7 lite with lower hashrate! Roll Eyes I think they need to change this BM1385 chip in order to overcome with heating and efficiency issues. At least in S8 maybe! Wink

That's just because that poster does not understand what that means and the miner consumption vs power consumption at the wall, there is nothing shaddy here, with the drop in hash rate, there is also a drop in power consumption.

With a 90% eff psu that would come up to 1157watts at the wall~ down from 1240~ and the hashrate goes down at the same ratio.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 01:01:39 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2015, 02:08:55 PM by Finksy

That's just because that poster does not understand what that means and the miner consumption vs power consumption at the wall, there is nothing shaddy here, with the drop in hash rate, there is also a drop in power consumption.

With a 90% eff psu that would come up to 1157watts at the wall~ down from 1240~ and the hashrate goes down at the same ratio.

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165162 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

Edit:typo

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 10:03:15 AM

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

3x 54 =162 chip not 165
I think that the new 4,05 TH/s S7 can be better as old 4,86 TH/s
carlosmnk

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:05:28 PM

In fairness the efficiency of the B6 appears to have been lowered by 10% (Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, etc...)  And chip count was reduced to 135 vs 165 for earlier batches. Speculation is that this is to decrease the string size in order to increase chip voltage, due to some issues that seem to have come up when PSU's put out slightly lower than 12V. There were clearly some QC issues in earlier batches, hence the two different hashrates in different batches, though my 2x B1 S7's are hashing away at 100%, and even OC'd a bit to 5TH/s without a hiccup.

3x 54 =162 chip not 165
I think that the new 4,05 TH/s S7 can be better as old 4,86 TH/s

I a world where the eficiency is so important is understandable that a company launch a worse product after one better... I wanna wait and see too.

Played with: USB RedFury - BlackArrows Prospero X1/X3 - Butterfly Monarch- Spondoolies SP20E - Avalon 6 - Antminer U3/S3/S3+/C1/S5/S7 Batches 3-7-8 - Sfards SF100 - Innosilicon A2 Terminator - Alcheminer 96/256 - KNC Titan - Etherum Rigs
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:52:45 AM

The new s7 is marked as sold out on bitmain so I wonder what the next batch has in store for us.  Are they going to produce another batch of the same, something different or drop a new chip and new unit.  I'd guess they just produce another batch but the drop in btc price has hurt their value since they are using a hard btc price instead of dollar.  Soo I wonder will they release something to the public?  The units they haven't even shipped yet so it will be some time till then
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:59:01 AM

The new s7 is marked as sold out on bitmain so I wonder what the next batch has in store for us.  Are they going to produce another batch of the same, something different or drop a new chip and new unit.  I'd guess they just produce another batch but the drop in btc price has hurt their value since they are using a hard btc price instead of dollar.  Soo I wonder will they release something to the public?  The units they haven't even shipped yet so it will be some time till then

They have did batches pretty far out really for them.  It's almost to point its kinda a pre-order I think you get a month or so ahead.  I mean the current batch could ship "between Dec. 7 ~ Dec. 17 (if shipped out 5 days later than it, it won't be considered as delay )." So Dec 23 ship out around a month and 6 day's and they are not late.

So It would not surprise me if we see another one of the newer S7's again just wait till it's closer to that batch being shipped or possibly  shipped.   I do not expect them to change it again or make a two blade, I think they are going to remain firm on current design at this point.
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:42:29 AM

They have did batches pretty far out really for them.  It's almost to point its kinda a pre-order I think you get a month or so ahead.  I mean the current batch could ship "between Dec. 7 ~ Dec. 17 (if shipped out 5 days later than it, it won't be considered as delay )." So Dec 23 ship out around a month and 6 day's and they are not late.

So It would not surprise me if we see another one of the newer S7's again just wait till it's closer to that batch being shipped or possibly  shipped.   I do not expect them to change it again or make a two blade, I think they are going to remain firm on current design at this point.

My money still on all future batches being of the 135 Chip, 4.05TH variety. Still intrigued to see what the actual consumption & J/GH these actually achieve? However we have a while to wait for first tests on a Batch 6, and there must be a risk that deliveries get slowed by Xmas?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
RichBC

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 01:03:20 PM

It seems that my forecast was wrong.  Smiley  Batch 7 is another variation with 162 Chips, 5.06TH, 1270W, Default Frequency 625MHz, 0.25J/GH and Supply Voltage 12.0V+5%, should not be less than 12.0V

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002015111710183627718X85SYG0616

I can only guess that they are selecting BM1385 for these?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 04:41:13 PM

It seems that my forecast was wrong.  Smiley  Batch 7 is another variation with 162 Chips, 5.06TH, 1270W, Default Frequency 625MHz, 0.25J/GH and Supply Voltage 12.0V+5%, should not be less than 12.0V

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002015111710183627718X85SYG0616

Rich

Interesting they have a new batch.  It's almost like pre-ording you order so far ahead.  1.5 Month lead time to get product is a change in bitmain.  It is intersting as i would guess with 1.5 month lead time they could order all parts, etc from customers money not even need to use their own like when batches were made close to shipping date.

I really hope they push timeframe to less day's ahead when they look at more batches.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:47:58 PM

Rich

Interesting they have a new batch.  It's almost like pre-ording you order so far ahead.  1.5 Month lead time to get product is a change in bitmain.  It is intersting as i would guess with 1.5 month lead time they could order all parts, etc from customers money not even need to use their own like when batches were made close to shipping date.

I really hope they push timeframe to less day's ahead when they look at more batches.

I suppose it give them more operational leeway, i'm guessing they realized that people trust them enough that they can get away with doing this, as it give them another edge. Interesting of them to make a step up in chips instead of down. Look like RichBC's guess did not come to be.

Sound a bit risky to buy in now, as with the difficulty increase, i'm not sure this unit will be worth 5BTC in 3~4 difficulty rounds.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:12:31 PM

Look like RichBC's guess did not come to be.

Tough game this guessing.  Smiley Then again who would have guessed that we would have 4 different Default Frequencies / TH/s and 2 different chip count S7 in such a short period of time?

Still they are running out of permutations, unless we start seeing different Default Frequency 135 Chip versions.  Smiley

Rich

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:40:46 PM

Tough game this guessing.  Smiley Then again who would have guessed that we would have 4 different Default Frequencies / TH/s and 2 different chip count S7 in such a short period of time?

Still they are running out of permutations, unless we start seeing different Default Frequency 135 Chip versions.  Smiley

Rich

I would really like to see a two board S7 with a high chip permutation, with bigger heatsink, should make the thing very quiet during winter and make it cheaper to buy it single unit by single unit.

Back to wishing for a 3.5TH~ "lite" for Christmas.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:18:27 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2015, 10:40:54 PM by RichBC

Tough game this guessing.  Smiley Then again who would have guessed that we would have 4 different Default Frequencies / TH/s and 2 different chip count S7 in such a short period of time?

Still they are running out of permutations, unless we start seeing different Default Frequency 135 Chip versions.  Smiley

Rich

I would really like to see a two board S7 with a high chip permutation, with bigger heatsink, should make the thing very quiet during winter and make it cheaper to buy it single unit by single unit.

Back to wishing for a 3.5TH~ "lite" for Christmas.

Yes I guess we have several games... Guessing what they might do, guessing what it is while we wait for someone to get one, and Wishing for what we actually want.  Smiley

On the Wishing front yes I still think that a 2 Board S7 would be a great product. I am actually now torn between wishing it would be based on 54 or 45 chips / board? 45 chip I feel would be a very solid product with a lot of scope for over & under clocking and volting. Whereas 54 chips / board would push up the hash rate and I think respond well to overvolting which is much easier to do with a Server PSU than undervolting. Unfortunately I don't expect to see either...

Am still intrigued to find out why they have found it necessary to have so many variants? I can only assume that they are getting a very broad spread of BM1385 chips and this is there way of coping with this? As has been said already it's going to be a nightmare in the 2nd hand market to know what you are buying.

Rich

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: