Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:42:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A solution to the self-moderated thread fiasco.  (Read 616 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 06:29:26 PM

<In response to Self Moderated Threads Only For Full Member +>

Create a section where all deleted self-moderated posts will permanently reside in locked threads having its titles quasi-mirror the corresponding self-moderated thread.

Further, the creator of a self-moderated thread MUST pen an explanation as to why the post was deleted for the deletion to take affect, whereupon the justification will permanently accompany the deleted post.

Further still, in place of the post that was deleted from the self-moderated thread would be a link to the post that was deleted by the thread's creator, again, the linked-to post depicting the reasoning for its deletion at the top of the fold.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3421

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 06:34:54 PM

It seems this post suits better to the following section: Bitcoin Forum > Other > Meta > New forum software

And as to your suggestion, this is actually a good one, at least this way if a scammer try to just delete post so their work doesn't get caught and notice, can be monitored and wouldn't just getaway with deleting posts

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 06:35:50 PM

Excellent idea will make people think twice before deleting posts.  Cool
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 06:36:55 PM

It seems this post suits better to the following section: Bitcoin Forum > Other > Meta > New forum software

And as to your suggestion, this is actually a good one, at least this way if a scammer try to just delete post so their work doesn't caught up, can be monitored and wouldn't just getaway with deleting posts

My apologies for not having this place correctly, for that sincerely wasn't my intent, coupled with not taking notice of Meta's subsections.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 06:38:04 PM

Correct, plus see the number of posts deleted, and read their explanations, thus having a baring as to what their mindset truly is.
steveds
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 07:42:11 PM

Correct, plus see the number of posts deleted, and read their explanations, thus having a baring as to what their mindset truly is.
it would be a nice to implement but it is not an issue to care about ?
however most self moderated threads are created to avoid sig spam IMO ,which is not criminal or scammy.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 07:49:05 PM

however most self moderated threads are created to avoid sig spam IMO ,which is not criminal or scammy.

I don't believe that Leroy Fodor's or Joshua Zipkin's threads (to site only two) were concerned about sig spamming when first implementing their respected self-moderated threads. I'm pretty sure such were put in place so to have the ability to delete posts exposing their nefarious activities.

Regardless, with my proposal each would have the opportunity to express why any given post deemed deletion.
steveds
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 07:59:13 PM

I don't believe that Leroy Fodor's or Joshua Zipkin's threads (to site only two) were concerned about sig spamming when first implementing their respected self-moderated threads. I'm pretty sure such were put in place so to have the ability to delete posts exposing their nefarious activities.

Regardless, with my proposal each would have the opportunity to express why any given post deemed deletion.
yes ,you are pointing out one single thread and making decisions ,its just not an issue to get solved.
self-moderated threads leave you a message when OP's delete your post ,no general rules apply to them.
if i dont like it i delete it ,simple.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 11:40:55 PM

<In response to another thread>

Why wouldn't you simply hit the reply button in that thread rather than make a second one?

worhiper_-_

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 11:51:46 PM

I think that blocking forum features for new accounts must stop or even reversed. I understand why one day accounts should vote on polls but this is getting ridiculous.

New accounts can't post images, and now can't create self moderation threads. What is it that justifies such changes? The forum now has a lot of traffic but this just makes posting for new members very inconvenient. Let's say that someone wants to make an announcement thread, should they pay another member to post for them or buy an account?

Staff should also consider the fact that honest people create accounts, a white listing system would require too much effort though.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 02:25:04 AM

I think this is somewhat of a good idea.

#1 - If there is some kind of controversy about the OP of a self-moderated thread, or if a self-moderated thread involves some kind of scam then this could certainly be very useful. I would say that such deleted posts should not be indexed to search engines and probably should only be available to users who are newbies and above (eg someone who is not logged in and someone who has made zero posts will not be able to view such posts). I would also say that the only way (besides typing the specific link into your browser) to access the deleted (by the OP) posts would be from a link on the self-moderated thread (eg you cannot view deleted posts from just browsing the forum).

#2 and #3 are tied together -- I am not sure how much good this would be. I think a lot of people would enter random strings of text into the explanation, especially in cases in which the OP is simply trying to keep his thread clean. Although it may be nice to get some kind of feedback regarding why a post was deleted as a poster could potentially change his posting habits in order to not have his post deleted.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 07:23:47 AM

I think this is somewhat of a good idea.

#1 - If there is some kind of controversy about the OP of a self-moderated thread, or if a self-moderated thread involves some kind of scam then this could certainly be very useful. I would say that such deleted posts should not be indexed to search engines and probably should only be available to users who are newbies and above (eg someone who is not logged in and someone who has made zero posts will not be able to view such posts). I would also say that the only way (besides typing the specific link into your browser) to access the deleted (by the OP) posts would be from a link on the self-moderated thread (eg you cannot view deleted posts from just browsing the forum).

#2 and #3 are tied together -- I am not sure how much good this would be. I think a lot of people would enter random strings of text into the explanation, especially in cases in which the OP is simply trying to keep his thread clean. Although it may be nice to get some kind of feedback regarding why a post was deleted as a poster could potentially change his posting habits in order to not have his post deleted.

I'm comfortable with having the threads of what I've envision NOT indexable by the search engines.

In re. "string of text": ONLY the worst nefarious actor would choose that ploy, for that would surely be the bane of their endeavor's existence.

To be clear, I'm not against self-moderated threads, for they serve a purpose, a course of action I've yet to utilize, of which doesn't have a thing to do with that I don't have a fuckin' clue as to how to create one.  Cry

With what I've proposed, the creator would have to give careful consideration to a post they're thinkin' 'bout deleting, for the justification on their part could easily carry more weight than just a simple deletion. Also, it could be programmed so that no two explanations can ever be the same regardless the author. And, a single word response wouldn't suffice, where, let's say, a minimum 100-character description is needed for the post to be deleted, then archived.

Here's how it would look:

Thread title: Introducing Acme's Cloud Thingie

First Post: My name is Al and I wish to introduce to you ...
Second Post: Al is a dog!
Second Post deleted now depicting the following: The author of this thread has deleted the original contents of this post of which can be viewed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=archive

Thread title of Archived Deleted Posts: Introducing Acme's Cloud Thingie (Archived Deletions)

First Deleted Post: With apologies to the poster, I opted to delete his post for being off-topic. They're more than welcome to post in my self-moderated thread accordingly.

Original content of deleted post:

Al is a dog!

I'm almost certain theymos would have time to create such given that he had time enough to map every IP pixel on the planet.  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: