Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:25:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Owning a .com anonymously and securely. Is it possible?  (Read 1675 times)
Fking (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:37:19 PM

Ok, there are quite few domain providers that accept bitcoins to register a domain for you. So the payment is anonymous but

a. You use whois guard with your real info underneath, so the registrar has it and most of them will provide it even before the court order.

b. you use fake info for the whois (regardless you have whois guard on top or not). Ok, you can't be traced back, but the domain can be suspended at any moment for failing to complain the ICANN regulation for having real contact info.
Which has a sub-questions btw. Does that actually happen, and how do they check if the info isn't real?

c. some of those registrars offer a real whois protection where the domain is registered under the name of a company, usually in a free speech friendly country. So you have your anonymity, technically the ICANN regulation is fulfilled BUT actually the domain isn't yours.
So if for example the site you run becomes super profitable or attractive to the whois company for some reason, they can take control point it to their server and scr*w you.

I just wanted to start a discussion about it to see if i'm missing an angle here or if someone can suggest a better way where you have anonymity AND security that you can keep the domain.
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 07:41:09 PM

Ok, there are quite few domain providers that accept bitcoins to register a domain for you. So the payment is anonymous but

a. You use whois guard with your real info underneath, so the registrar has it and most of them will provide it even before the court order.

b. you use fake info for the whois (regardless you have whois guard on top or not). Ok, you can't be traced back, but the domain can be suspended at any moment for failing to complain the ICANN regulation for having real contact info.
Which has a sub-questions btw. Does that actually happen, and how do they check if the info isn't real?

c. some of those registrars offer a real whois protection where the domain is registered under the name of a company, usually in a free speech friendly country. So you have your anonymity, technically the ICANN regulation is fulfilled BUT actually the domain isn't yours.
So if for example the site you run becomes super profitable or attractive to the whois company for some reason, they can take control point it to their server and scr*w you.

I just wanted to start a discussion about it to see if i'm missing an angle here or if someone can suggest a better way where you have anonymity AND security that you can keep the domain.

I think if you took the actions of scenario c and did them yourself, so, registering a company in a free speech friendly country, you could control the domain through the company and remain anonymous.

Although, if you really want to do that, why even bother with the clearweb.

Cheers,
-Jon

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:34:09 PM

Indeed, if anonymity is your main priority, maybe something like a TOR hidden service is what you're looking for.  Of course, those have many disadvantages, so it depends on how much you want to be anonymous.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
bytedisorder

Activity: 489

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 09:25:00 PM

We here at Bitronic Technologies offer anonymous domain name registration via scenario A and B, however we do comply upon request with ICANN.

If you are looking to buy domain names with bitcoin anonymously, check us out.

Unfortunately the US is most certainly no longer a free speech friendly country.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 09:33:55 PM

Anonymously and securely... and useless.
If there is court order to seize the domain name, it does not matter who is the official owner.
On the other hand, in case of mybitcoin.com it was successful strategy.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 01:32:12 PM

technically the ICANN regulation is fulfilled BUT actually the domain isn't yours.

The domain will never technically be yours/ours if we have to keep paying rent on it yearly. You pay once for something that is "technically" "yours".

If a domain name is a service, perhaps it could be "owned" .

To backtrack a bit, paying for the domain for 100 years could make it yours, but with the way technology changes, who knows what will be around the corner in three years?
bytedisorder

Activity: 489

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 07:31:04 PM

We also offer ID Protect. Other WHOIS masking products only falsify your WHOIS records which can jeopardize your domain registration. ID Protect secures your private information by storing it in a trusted 3rd party data vault, and is completely complaint with ICANN (ICANN is the governing body of Internet rules and regulations).

ID Protect forwards legitimate emails to your real email address, but keeps spammers and data miners away.

Without ID Protect, anyone can find your personal contact information including your home address.  ID Protect hides this information while protecting your personal address from getting into the wrong hands.
Luceo

Activity: 350

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 10:35:31 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2012, 11:14:11 AM by Luceo

We offer scenario C at Fennec. We work with a known and trusted anonymous registrar which registers and holds domains using their companies (mostly Asian based). They've been going for a long time so we're confident that they're not going to disappear.

Fking (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 10:39:17 PM

We offer scenario C at Fennec. We work with a known and trusted anonymous registrar who registers domains in their companies (mostly Asian based). They've been going for a long time so we're confident that they're not going to disappear.

Yes, that's where i saw that option first Smiley
are they enom resellers?
Luceo

Activity: 350

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:27:43 AM
Last edit: November 04, 2012, 11:15:20 AM by Luceo

I believe they're webnic resellers, though I haven't confirmed.

Their list of domain offerings and those offered by webnic are identical, so I think it's a safe guess.

kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 09:45:29 AM

i hear you can own a .onion anonymously and securely!
Fking (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:06:56 PM

I think if you took the actions of scenario c and did them yourself, so, registering a company in a free speech friendly country, you could control the domain through the company and remain anonymous.

Cheers,
-Jon

that's good idea, but unfortunately for most project it will be way over the budget, and actually how do you create a company anonymously?

Fking (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:09:53 PM

Indeed, if anonymity is your main priority, maybe something like a TOR hidden service is what you're looking for.  Of course, those have many disadvantages, so it depends on how much you want to be anonymous.

true that, TOR can do that, but from marketing perspective it's a suicide. If anonymity is your number 1 priority TOR would be the choice, but if you want balance between anonymous and reach....better do as better as you can in the clear web.
Fking (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:13:11 PM

We here at Bitronic Technologies offer anonymous domain name registration via scenario A and B, however we do comply upon request with ICANN.

If you are looking to buy domain names with bitcoin anonymously, check us out.

Unfortunately the US is most certainly no longer a free speech friendly country.

Which leads me to my sub questions in b.
Have you had a case where ICANN actually suspends the domain for not having real info, and how do they check that? WHOIS protected or not, i guess they don't care since they can ask you for the info underneath?
That would be interesting to know.
Fking (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:15:51 PM

Anonymously and securely... and useless.
If there is court order to seize the domain name, it does not matter who is the official owner.
On the other hand, in case of mybitcoin.com it was successful strategy.

That's why i was wondering if ICANN issued general domain or country code domain which is in the jurisdiction of non-US country, can still be affected by US court orders since ICANN is US based or not?

Also would you tell us what's the story behind mybitcoin.com you are referring to?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:31:58 PM

bulletproof domain
fake whois

glorious success!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: