Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 10:11:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Church of Satoshi and Latter Day Coins  (Read 7521 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:10:10 PM

Before this goes further, can we just establish that there will be no dietary restrictions? Because if you try and make me give up bacon, I WILL switch to Litecoin. Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it.  

Pizza Day?

It was a miracle- that the faith in the coin could be exchanged for real world goods.

more or less retired.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 08:12:39 PM

Before this goes further, can we just establish that there will be no dietary restrictions? Because if you try and make me give up bacon, I WILL switch to Litecoin. Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it.  

EDIT: Just thought of two more.
1. No church teaching against the use of intoxicants (let's face it, if we force a split with the Silk Road contingent, we're gonna end up on the losing side of that one).
2. No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).

Sounds good!

Everything is  better when it contains bacon.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 09:23:44 PM

Scientology is huge and powerful. Bitcoin has a far more philosophically sound background.
Religion is believing in BS. Bitcoin is knowing hard science. The complete opposites of spectrum. But why not, Bitcoin can be very successful mock religion like FSM or Church of Subgenius.
But I'm sure the thought of being a "Pope" to this new movement has occurred to him. He is obviously a smart man, I'm sure this thought has occurred to him as has the thought of what place in history he will occupy if Bitcoin succeeds and endures for thousands of years.
And our grand kids then will have a religious paintings with Gavin's stupid smile holding white laptop who is radiating holy light lol! We must have visual depictions of Satoshi and Gavin forbidden.

The source code is more important than the code writer!
I suppose the Bitcoin Foundation (from now on referred to as The Foundation) is analogous to the Catholic Church as it's the most codified edifice of Satoshi's will and undoubtably will end up the richest and most powerful
They might mutate and cripple Bitcoin original message and meaning like catholic church did with christianity.
1. No church teaching against the use of intoxicants (let's face it, if we force a split with the Silk Road contingent, we're gonna end up on the losing side of that one).
We must have some religious rites like rastafarians have. We must observe the divine and secret process of ordering holy substances from Silk Road to ensure that the work of Satoshi the bitcoins does not lose the market value! And this is not superstition, there is good reasoning behind that!
No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).
Bitcoin religion is all forgiving! The pedophiles of Freenet introduced the sinner MisteryMiner into religion of Bitcoins.
Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it.
We could have the sad day of July 2011 remembered when Bitcoin bubble crashed. And we could have apocalyptic prophecy of end times when hashing power reaches so high that all blocks have hashes of only zeroes. Then there will be second coming of Satoshi who will come with new algorithm and start mining on new blockchain. He will separate the righteous bitcoiners from those who harm the cryptocurrency!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 11:42:26 PM

Pizza Day?

Thank Satoshi this pizza doesn't cost 10,000 bitcoins.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 11:55:16 PM

Scientology is huge and powerful. Bitcoin has a far more philosophically sound background.
Religion is believing in BS. Bitcoin is knowing hard science. The complete opposites of spectrum. But why not, Bitcoin can be very successful mock religion like FSM or Church of Subgenius.
But I'm sure the thought of being a "Pope" to this new movement has occurred to him. He is obviously a smart man, I'm sure this thought has occurred to him as has the thought of what place in history he will occupy if Bitcoin succeeds and endures for thousands of years.
And our grand kids then will have a religious paintings with Gavin's stupid smile holding white laptop who is radiating holy light lol! We must have visual depictions of Satoshi and Gavin forbidden.

\
Saint Gavin as seen by Caravaggio.

Cheesy

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 12:12:18 AM

The source code is more important than the code writer!
I suppose the Bitcoin Foundation (from now on referred to as The Foundation) is analogous to the Catholic Church as it's the most codified edifice of Satoshi's will and undoubtably will end up the richest and most powerful
They might mutate and cripple Bitcoin original message and meaning like catholic church did with christianity.
We must have some religious rites like rastafarians have. We must observe the divine and secret process of ordering holy substances from Silk Road to ensure that the work of Satoshi the bitcoins does not lose the market value! And this is not superstition, there is good reasoning behind that!
No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).
Bitcoin religion is all forgiving! The pedophiles of Freenet introduced the sinner MisteryMiner into religion of Bitcoins.
Oh, and we need more holidays. Getting to use one "diversity holiday" to miss work every four years for Halving Day just isn't gonna cut it.
We could have the sad day of July 2011 remembered when Bitcoin bubble crashed. And we could have apocalyptic prophecy of end times when hashing power reaches so high that all blocks have hashes of only zeroes. Then there will be second coming of Satoshi who will come with new algorithm and start mining on new blockchain. He will separate the righteous bitcoiners from those who harm the cryptocurrency!

You make a valid point though- the source code should be more important then the writer, AND perhaps we should be careful about making individuals omnipotent while still alive. There are a great number of end users who consider Satoshi to be such a terrific genius that his idea was perfect at it's very inception. Looking to the Catholic church should inform us as to what to be careful for, so that no one individual or group becomes the right hand of Satoshi and thus an unassailable bearer of ultimate truth.

more or less retired.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 12:26:04 AM

Weird idea, but if it can protect BTC from being legislated, why not...

Maybe relevent or not, but I wish to post this pic
(from the last bitcoinmoney article about october)

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 01:28:35 AM

The Gavin is pope?

Would Bruce I be considered an earlier Pope before he self-excommunicated himself, leaving the fold with his beloved and spending a well-deserved holiday in Pattaya, whereupon they exercised lads via an unsanctioned gospel, preaching the three-pronged anti-missionary approach?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 01:59:44 AM

The Gavin is pope?

Would Bruce I be considered an earlier Pope before he self-excommunicated himself, leaving the fold with his beloved and spending a well-deserved holiday in Pattaya, whereupon they exercised lads via an unsanctioned gospel, preaching the three-pronged anti-missionary approach?

Bruce was a heratic. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 02:28:13 AM

So why doesn't someone just do it already- and register the Church of Satoshi?

I would hope the Church of Satoshi would not bow down to the dark coercive powers of the State to seek legitimacy. Shocked

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:15:45 PM

Saint Gavin as seen by Caravaggio.

Cheesy

Awesome!

BTW: it does have some theological sounding anagrams in english:
http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=satoshi&t=1000&a=n

Other then "Ass Hot I" there are not many that make sense. If you search for possible anagrams of "Satoshi Nakamoto" however, there are at least 100001 that http://www.wordsmith.org finds. It may be the holy task of our religious researchers to browse through them till eternity..

2. No weird sex stuff (and of course, by that I mean that the church should be totally cool with weird sex stuff).

Too bad, I was just about to introduce the sacred act of holy prostitution into our religion (SFW)
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:24:41 PM

Who is the anti-Satoshi? I was gonna suggest Bernanke, but he strikes me more as just a low-level demon.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:43:57 PM

Who is the anti-Satoshi? I was gonna suggest Bernanke, but he strikes me more as just a low-level demon.
Real Solid can be the Devil of Bitcoin. And anti-Satoshi.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:57:51 PM

But maybe the anti-Satoshi has yet to come. At the end of Bitcoin Days. When the Anti-Satoshi is able to find the private key of all possible public keys. But the believers who believe in the one true Satoshi will follow him/her into the blockchain afterlife, the one and true crypto.

more or less retired.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 04:09:45 PM

But maybe the anti-Satoshi has yet to come. At the end of Bitcoin Days. When the Anti-Satoshi is able to find the private key of all possible public keys. But the believers who believe in the one true Satoshi will follow him/her into the blockchain afterlife, the one and true crypto.
At the end days the Real Solid will come disguised as Satoshi and will start selling ScamCoin 3.0 and do fractional reserve banking.

beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 04:27:55 PM

Guys, your are definitely crazy, and I do love seeing people which actually read the Book.. Cheesy

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 09:03:57 PM

I'm going to think about this --- and get back to you =P

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 03:41:45 AM

Would SA trolls be considered Infidels?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:41:26 AM

The main difference between Bitcoin as a religion and normal religions is that Bitcoin is real, and it works.

While one might say that I worship the blockchain, I can show you instantly that it does what it's supposed to do. I can prove the validity of the system. Normal religions have no such evidence, and rely on "faith" which is a euphemism for "belief despite a lack of evidence."

Bitcoin may be the first "utility-based" religion as opposed to being faith-based.
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:22:42 AM

So why doesn't someone just do it already- and register the Church of Satoshi? There is certainly enough philosophy here.

Um? Why not? Certainly you can come up with a million reasons why not.

Granny always said... You can fuck up a perfectly good thing, or make a bad thing worse by getting the church (or the government) involved in your life.

So... Granny would say FUCK NO

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: