Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:52:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Terracoin a FPGA coin?  (Read 7025 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 07:08:02 PM

As terracoin seems to be more or less just a copy of Bitcoin. It could prove tempting in the coming ASIC days as a FPGA coin. There are a large number of Bitcoin FPGA's that won't mine LTC and won't be competitive against ASICS. As Terracoin is new, a copy that is likely to get mocked to no end, regular GPU miners will most likely prefer to Mine LTC. But FPGA's wont have the luxury, and since BTC is actually valuable ASICS's will hang out in BTC world (for now). So perhaps that makes Terracoin and ideal FPGA coin (for now)?

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 03:35:34 PM

Holy crap, I mined my first 20 TRC in under 30 minutes with just 25Mhash/s!  Cheesy

Nice! Difficulty is low right now so it's easy to mine blocks. Unlike some other coins the rewards aren't super high do don't feel bad about not having a million coins 2 days after you first hear about it. :-)

more or less retired.
pyromaniac

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:02:10 PM

Terracoin a FPGA coin?
Not only that. Terracoin also good for a very small ASICs, like Jalapeno. Mining bitcoins on it are not very profitable because of the growth of difficulty after ASICs release.

miner2049

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:23:55 AM

Holy crap, I mined my first 20 TRC in under 30 minutes with just 25Mhash/s!  Cheesy

https://i.imgur.com/5HDBJ.png

What kind of miner did you use to get the TRCs?  How do you configure it?

Thanks  Smiley
miner2049

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:50:41 AM

What kind of miner did you use to get the TRCs?  How do you configure it?

Since Terracoin is a clone of Bitcoin, any Bitcoin miner should work with Terracoin as well. I'm using BFGMiner 2.9.1 with Terracoin server
set as pool, over bfgminer.conf file. The whole procedure is not so trivial, and I don't know at what stage of it you're at now. Have you
installed Terracoin? Have you set it up as server? Do you have any Bitcoin miner installed? Do you have .conf file for it, or you prefer to
set it up using command line options?

Thank you for your quick reply.  I do have the Terracoin wallet installed. I did download BFGMiner, but I haven't configured it.

I don't have the Terracoin client (wallet) set up as a sever.  I think that is what you are asking.

I currently have GUIminer installed. 

I know that I need more instructions to get mining software confirgured to work with Terracoin.

I have to go to work in several hours so I won't be able to respond to your reply for another 16 or so hours.

Thank you again,
miner2049
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:20:43 PM

I'm tempted to duplicate the Bitcoin wiki and do a "search and replace" for Bitcoin -> Terracoin.

Grin

more or less retired.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 01:09:01 PM

Since Terracoin is a clone of Bitcoin, any Bitcoin miner should work with Terracoin as well. I'm using BFGMiner 2.9.1 with Terracoin server
set as pool, over bfgminer.conf file. The whole procedure is not so trivial, and I don't know at what stage of it you're at now. Have you
installed Terracoin? Have you set it up as server? Do you have any Bitcoin miner installed? Do you have .conf file for it, or you prefer to

Thank you for your quick reply.  I do have the Terracoin wallet installed. I did download BFGMiner, but I haven't configured it.

I don't have the Terracoin client (wallet) set up as a sever.  I think that is what you are asking.

I know that I need more instructions to get mining software confirgured to work with Terracoin.

I have to go to work in several hours so I won't be able to respond to your reply for another 16 or so hours.

Thank you again,
miner2049

OK hope I can help here... as I have GUI Miner setup on a comp, along with the TRCoin client and have successfully mined some Terracoins.

All I did was:

1) download the Terracoin client from terracoin.org (the sourceforge project)

2) Unzip all the files.

3) Double click the Terracoin-qt to start the wallet.... and create the necessary folders in your %appdata% folder

4) On windows (XP or 7 or Vista i believe) click the windows start icon > Run... (or Search) and type in %appdata%  including the % at the start and end.... This opens your "Roaming" directory.

5) open the Terracoin folder

6) I use Notepad++ to create a file called terracoin.conf   (important NOT to have the .txt at the end) in this directory

7) add the following lines to your conf file.... (Change ur username and Password to ones unique to you)

server=1
rpcuser=YOURMINERUSERNAME
rpcpassword=YOURMINERPASS
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=18332

(NOTE you can add the line....    gen=1    to the bottom as this will use the client to use your CPU in attempting to generate blocks... but you do NOT NEED to do this if you have another mining software installed...)

Cool Now I simply put the following values in my GUIMiner and chugged away with the Hashes

Pool = Other
Host = 127.0.0.1
Port = 18332
Username = YOURMINERUSERNAME
Password = YOURMINERPASS
flags = (whatever your setting you like... but i use -v -w128 to squeeze a bit more out of one or two of my cards)

9) you have to have the Terracoin -qt ... OR the terracoind daemon running in order to be able to connect your mioner to the host you have specified, but so long as you have the client running, and have your config file setup correctly, and your GUIMiner configered correctly, you should be able to mine to your hearts content.....

Hope this helps and I do hope to be experimenting a little with this Terracoin in the next few days/weeks as I have some coding ability etc and want to get to grips with some other areas of cryptocurrencies... like the blockexplorer and a mining pool.. and figured this would be a good coin to practice on... rather than BTC Tongue

any donations greatly appreciated Smiley

TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N
LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D
LQC: vbJVpeF82Ezd3Dx8ubWeiFeEguFwPctzJL
I0C: jU8MuSJcw7XmauyddGFSoo5HzEAPgjxfsz
IXC: xhUfkeNiVGaWFkEcuv8tTUGHX6PLt9dZ94
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 01:12:29 PM

Hope this helps and I do hope to be experimenting a little with this Terracoin in the next few days/weeks as I have some coding ability etc and want to get to grips with some other areas of cryptocurrencies... like the blockexplorer and a mining pool.. and figured this would be a good coin to practice on... rather than BTC Tongue

I feel the same way. Doing what's already been done, just doesn't feel as satisfying for some reason. Even if it's only a minor difference.

more or less retired.
miner2049

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:19:53 PM

Thank you again,
miner2049

OK hope I can help here... as I have GUI Miner setup on a comp, along with the TRCoin client and have successfully mined some Terracoins.

All I did was:

2) Unzip all the files.

3) Double click the Terracoin-qt to start the wallet.... and create the necessary folders in your %appdata% folder

4) On windows (XP or 7 or Vista i believe) click the windows start icon > Run... (or Search) and type in %appdata%  including the % at the start and end.... This opens your "Roaming" directory.

6) I use Notepad++ to create a file called terracoin.conf   (important NOT to have the .txt at the end) in this directory

7) add the following lines to your conf file.... (Change ur username and Password to ones unique to you)

server=1
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=18332

(NOTE you can add the line....    gen=1    to the bottom as this will use the client to use your CPU in attempting to generate blocks... but you do NOT NEED to do this if you have another mining software installed...)

Cool Now I simply put the following values in my GUIMiner and chugged away with the Hashes

Pool = Other
Host = 127.0.0.1
Port = 18332
Password = YOURMINERPASS
flags = (whatever your setting you like... but i use -v -w128 to squeeze a bit more out of one or two of my cards)

9) you have to have the Terracoin -qt ... OR the terracoind daemon running in order to be able to connect your mioner to the host you have specified, but so long as you have the client running, and have your config file setup correctly, and your GUIMiner configered correctly, you should be able to mine to your hearts content.....

Thank you Strata.

I setup my GUIMiner and Terracoin client as you instructed.  I ran the miner last night for about 8 hours and it only accepted 10 shares.  It seems to be running with one Nvidia card at 1.2Mhash.  CPU usage on the 4 threads is 100% and even running the 2nd Nvidia card doesn't do much to effect the share acceptance.

It used to run close to 30 MHash with bitcoin client in a pool running both cards.  I guess this mining operation for Terracoin is less efficient.

It'll probably take a month before I get lucking and solve a block and get 20TBC.

What do you think?

miner2049
miner2049

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:17:29 PM

Thank you again,
miner2049

All I did was:

2) Unzip all the files.

server=1
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=18332

Pool = Other
Host = 127.0.0.1
Port = 18332
Password = YOURMINERPASS

Thanks subSTRATA ,

I finally got it up an running Tuesday night.  It has accepted over 400 shares on each of the two nVidia cards.  But, as I have seen today, apparently solo mining for terracoin is becoming if not too difficult.  So now I need to find a pool.

Fuzzybear thank you for your help too.

Do either of you know of an easy way to join a terracoin pool?

I started reading a bit about it, but since I have a day job, my time is limited to late nights and weekends to catch up on BTC and now TRC.

Thanks again,
miner2049

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM

Coinotron has a terracoin pool now. Coinotron.com

more or less retired.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 04:15:32 PM

yeah miner2049 i mine on coinotrons pool... he/she is the best Cheesy... soooo many alt currencies to chose to mine!!

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:32:22 PM

Props to the TRC developers (code modifiers) in that TRC addresses look like bitcoin addresses. That is fucking awesome.

Also good job on not changing the BITCOIN logo to the TRC logo (if there is one).

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:28:59 AM

Props to the TRC developers (code modifiers) in that TRC addresses look like bitcoin addresses. That is fucking awesome.

Also good job on not changing the BITCOIN logo to the TRC logo (if there is one).

praise satoshi!

more or less retired.

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:01:53 PM

How to mine terracoin?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:03:55 PM

I opened the webpage and it didn't start any cpu mining or gpu mining

HotSwap

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:37:40 PM

I opened the webpage and it didn't start any cpu mining or gpu mining

Grin

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 11:02:42 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 11:20:57 PM by 420

Cool. How new is terracoin? I can't even see any exchanges that support it, even coinotron pool doesn't list an exchange rate

Ufasoft with TRC worker:

Result: blahblah rejected

miner2049

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 09:19:30 AM

yeah miner2049 i mine on coinotrons pool... he/she is the best Cheesy... soooo many alt currencies to chose to mine!!

Hi FuzzyBear,

I just got home from seeing the new Bond flick.  It was OK.  I saw in the saw in the system tray location near my clock that I mined a 20TRC block.  I'd like to donate to you and subStrata for helping me out, but I can't find the transaction. When I opened up my Terracoin client it said that I have one transaction, but I don't have an unconfirmed balance, or a confirmed balance.  Since I've never mined a coin before, do I have to wait until it is mature to see it in my wallet?

Thanks,
miner2049
miner2049

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 09:48:19 AM

I just got home from seeing the new Bond flick.  It was OK.  I saw in the saw in the system tray location near my clock that I mined a 20TRC block.  I'd like to donate to you and subStrata for helping me out, but I can't find the transaction. When I opened up my Terracoin client it said that I have one transaction, but I don't have an unconfirmed balance, or a confirmed balance.  Since I've never mined a coin before, do I have to wait until it is mature to see it in my wallet?

Yes, you have to wait 120 conformations - that means 120 blocks to be solved after one you solved - for 20 TRC you've mined to
become available for spending. It's a security measure, and it's neccessary, since mining is the only way new coins are generated
and enter the Bitcoin system. For new coins to become accepted by system, they must be legit beyond reasonable doubt, which
is what 120 conformations insure.

Thanks subStrata,

That makes sense.  I thought that is what was happening.

I know how to tip a bartender and a cabbie, but how do I know what a TRC is worth to 'tip' or donate to you and FuzzyBear for your help.

Any thoughts what is commonly done?

Thanks,
miner2049
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: