Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:23:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I safe on a Mac? + some beginner questions  (Read 1615 times)
kingcrimson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:34:52 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2012, 03:48:46 AM by kingcrimson

1) I'm getting into bitcoins a bit, I'm worried about all the people whose accounts were wiped clean. Have there been any incidences of mac users being a victim to this?

2) I am going to use a yubikey and 2-pass for mt gox and store the wallets offline on thumb drives. Should that be enough protection?

3) Let's say that that all the thumb drives I save end up malfunctioning, if I write down my addresses and passcode on paper, would I still be able to get the bitcoins back, without the wallet/dat dat?

Thanks!!! I hope to do some buying bitcoins on this forum soon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 03:44:21 AM

No one, to my knowledge, has ever had a single bitcoin stolen from a paper wallet.

It is simple: visit BitAddress.org, and print one.  Send Bitcoins to the address on your successfully printed wallet.  (never just save the address to your computer)

When ready to spend, import the paper wallet, and spend it all (sending any unneeded change to a new paper wallet).

This is what I do.  I also split my bitcoins across multiple paper wallets so my whole balance is never online at any time.  I import paper wallets just big enough to do my business, and nothing more.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kingcrimson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:48:25 AM

How do you access the wallets when the time comes, don't you need a dat file?
Edit: Don't you make the bars? I was just looking at your site
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:43:56 AM

1) Mac's are very safe from virius so don't worry but encrypt your wallet, and make sure you back it up.

2) I would use a localwallet and not mt gox as your primary wallet.

3) I would download armory to create paper wallets very safe.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:50:27 AM

Mac are not that safe to hold a good amount of bitcoins.
Printing a wallet from a website is the stupidest idea I've ever heared of.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:54:08 AM

How is mac not safe to hold a good amount of bitcoins? I never had an issue. And it is alot better than windows.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:05:12 AM

How is mac not safe to hold a good amount of bitcoins? I never had an issue. And it is alot better than windows.
If you really are a programmer you know that.
And don't start saying silly stuff like "no, there are no viruses around for Mac".

My workstation is a Mac, btw.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
kingcrimson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:13:13 AM

ced why is printing address a bad idea?
do you use linux? and how do you recommend people store their wallets
it seems all the users stolen from so far are on PCs, that the thefts haven't migrated to mac yet
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 05:26:59 AM

Printing a wallet from a website is the stupidest idea I've ever heared of.

Relax. It's not from a website. The wallet is generated entirely in your browser in javascript, and the entire website is a single static html file that includes everything and connects to nothing, so which you can clip and run offline from a clean booted machine.  At the very least, you can unhook your internet connection and confirm the page still generates and prints addresses without being online.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 05:28:24 AM

The easiest way to redeem a private key nowadays is to use your (or create a throwaway) wallet on BlockChain.info, import the coins, and send them to another address.  If you have a QR code, Blockchain can scan it through your webcam (it's some flash-based thingy that runs in your browser)

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 05:32:41 AM

No platform is safe to hold a good amount of bitcoins.  New vulnerabilities are found in all platforms all the time.  Chances are someone will eventually get in, and if they do, they generally take everything.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

If you really are a programmer you know that.
And don't start saying silly stuff like "no, there are no viruses around for Mac".

My workstation is a Mac, btw.

To be honest most Viruses circle around Java and if you go to a shady web sits and run java stuff. The last pure mac OSX virus was hosted in a torrent of pirated copy of iwork so yea again if you do shady things you get a virus. So I don't get how you have a mac and your saying they are unsecured?

No platform is safe to hold a good amount of bitcoins.  New vulnerabilities are found in all platforms all the time.  Chances are someone will eventually get in, and if they do, they generally take everything.

Again why you need to encrypt it and I use a cold storage method for most of my coins which I high recommend to new bitcoiners if you gain that kind of wealth.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:30:45 AM

A Mac is not secure enought. Stop. Linux is not secure enought.
You need a dedicated pc if you run serious money into bitcoin. Think at the Swiss researcher that got 10000btc stolen from his Linux pc.
About the website, what makes you sure that its not a dinamic page done to report back the private keys only once every 1000 views?

kingcrimson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:34:58 AM

The easiest way to redeem a private key nowadays is to use your (or create a throwaway) wallet on BlockChain.info, import the coins, and send them to another address.  If you have a QR code, Blockchain can scan it through your webcam (it's some flash-based thingy that runs in your browser)

So a paper key is like a money order that hasn't been deposited yet. And you can start a wallet and 'deposit' at any time?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 06:35:18 AM

A Mac is not secure enought. Stop. Linux is not secure enought.
You need a dedicated pc if you run serious money into bitcoin. Think at the Swiss researcher that got 10000btc stolen from his Linux pc.
About the website, what makes you sure that its not a dinamic page done to report back the private keys only once every 1000 views?

It could be. Make your own copy on disk, check the hash vs the signature, and use only the local copy.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:37:21 AM

Think at the Swiss researcher that got 10000btc stolen from his Linux pc.

Link? I never heard about this and google search returned nothing

can you explain this more I can't understand at all

I think the tin foil has gotten into your brain.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:43:47 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113775.0
9000 BTC stolen
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:30:57 AM

Mac is just as unsafe as Windows. May even more so, because of the false sense of security that Mac users tend to have.

Mac used to be safer because the amount of Mac users was completely insignificant compared to Windows (so it was simply not interesting for hackers to create viruses or malware for Mac). Same reason why Linux malware is very rare.

Lately, Apple has been doing well and now the Mac market is much bigger (now the second 'mainstream' OS after Windows). Along with that also came the interest of hackers and creators of viruses and malware.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:32:28 AM

torg approves of macintosh
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 02:59:02 PM

1) Mac's are very safe from virius so don't worry but encrypt your wallet, and make sure you back it up.
False

This too is false.

Mac is like Windows, there are viruses for both. With the difference that windows user protect their computer from virus with antivirus and other things while mac user go full ahead with "ahah there are no virus for mac"...

To be honest most Viruses circle around Java and if you go to a shady web sits and run java stuff. The last pure mac OSX virus was hosted in a torrent of pirated copy of iwork so yea again if you do shady things you get a virus. So I don't get how you have a mac and your saying they are unsecured?
Exactly the same thing apply for Windows. On windows you only get viruses if you do shady things/shady java websites and so on. It's not like you start a windows computer and after five minutes it automatically get infected

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: