Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:39:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASICs featured in issue #4 of Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 4807 times)
punin (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 11:09:25 AM

With many reports of people getting the november issue of Bitcoin Magazine, and indeed even some scans surfacing, I was wondering if there was any relevant new information to be found in that magazine.

I was under the impression, that the november issue of Bitcoin Magazine would contain more detailed information regarding BFL's ASICs, and stated that issue #4 will answer many questions that people were asking. I've seen scans of this magazine, and it all looks like 6 month old information to me.

Could anyone with access to the full magazine confirm if there indeed is any previously undisclosed detailed technical information on BFL's products?

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:22:25 PM

With many reports of people getting the november issue of Bitcoin Magazine, and indeed even some scans surfacing, I was wondering if there was any relevant new information to be found in that magazine.
No, none. Already read all the pages.

I think there was a SUSFU/FUBar (or perhaps even a TARFU) moment when people realized it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_slang_terms#FUBAR

A BOHICA may soon follow.

I was under the impression, that the november issue of Bitcoin Magazine would contain more detailed information regarding BFL's ASICs, and stated that issue #4 will answer many questions that people were asking. I've seen scans of this magazine, and it all looks like 6 month old information to me.

Could anyone with access to the full magazine confirm if there indeed is any previously undisclosed detailed technical information on BFL's products?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 03:49:45 PM

That's cool, another potential candidate for them to engage in revisionist editing if it blows up, be hit on the fingers by the community and back-peddle.

Didn't work out too well with issue #1 and Bitcoinica did it?
punin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 03:53:04 PM

No, none. Already read all the pages.
Did you read the actual magazine, or just the scanned pages?

Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 04:39:53 PM

Wait, so the new information in the mag is not new or just wasn't included when it was hinted it would be? I was under the impression the BFL article contained spoilers.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 04:40:56 PM

Did the article mention Nasser's background? I'm not a hardware/software geek, therefore I don't know if his stated background qualifies to engineer ASICs: http://www.freelancer.com/u/Nasser750gx.html
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:33:31 PM

I will offer a 20BTC bounty to anybody who posts a measurement of the size of the die used in BFL's "SC" devices...

I will also offer a 20BTC bounty for knowledge of which process node BFL is using...

Hi Elden, the node and method are detailed in the upcoming issue of bitcoin magazine.   (Issue #4).

This is the information that was supposed to be contained.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:41:15 PM

Bogart - that information is indeed in there.  Punin must've missed it.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:50:55 PM

No, indeed it isn't. The interview refers to the future direction and processes but says nothing about the current chip.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:52:15 PM

I didn't see it. Could you please quote it?
Xfinity

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:56:02 PM

No, indeed it isn't. The interview refers to the future direction and processes but says nothing about the current chip.

I was also looking forward in reading about current chip. Grrrr....

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:56:49 PM

I won't quote it - I haven't received the magazine myself yet, and don't want to be responsible for "leaking" the information if you all are lying about having received it.  Wink  But look at the last sentence on page 63.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:05:23 PM

I won't quote it - I haven't received the magazine myself yet, and don't want to be responsible for "leaking" the information if you all are lying about having received it.  Wink  But look at the last sentence on page 63.
The copy posted on the BFL forums (with Bitcoin Magazine's permission) doesn't have the page numbers, but would the sentence you're talking about be paraphrased "BFL skipped structured ASICs entirely and went to the full custom approach"?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:15:33 PM

Bogart - that information is indeed in there.  Punin must've missed it.

The copy posted on the BFL forums (with Bitcoin Magazine's permission) doesn't have the page numbers, but would the sentence you're talking about be paraphrased "BFL skipped structured ASICs entirely and went to the full custom approach"?
Oh my... it appears as though I do not have the final revision (though I thought it was the final revision until now), and somehow, between the revision I do have, and the printed copy, the important part was removed.  What the actual f...
RHA

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:31:28 PM

I have the magazine. The general article "Fluttering Expectations" is on pages 66 to 69. Than there are two pages of something like Q&A. I found nothing about die size nor exact process size (apart of "the company already plans on reducing the size of their next generation offerings to 45nm or even dipping into the sub 40nm domain").
The new thing is something important for P2Pool - the machine will "send back shares as they are found".

I'm going to examine other pages.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:46:35 PM

I've ordered issue #2, 3, and 4 about a month ago and have yet to receive any of them yet. It does not surprise me one bit though because it took around 2 months for me to receive issue #1 and by then they were already advertising issue #3. I don't know why it takes so long, but I'm going to continue to buy them either way.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 08:32:51 PM

Bogart - that information is indeed in there.  Punin must've missed it.

Oh my... it appears as though I do not have the final revision (though I thought it was the final revision until now), and somehow, between the revision I do have, and the printed copy, the important part was removed.  What the actual f...
Maybe they removed the important bits so that there was room in the interview with Josh to include two full sets of stats; one for the specs with no power figures, and the newly revised specs with the little single and power information. Tongue
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 08:52:43 PM

We'll fix it soon.
punin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 09:50:19 PM

This is more like it: http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bfl-confirms-65nm-process-for-sc-lineup/

Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:26:12 PM

Smiley

I guessed right, 65nm, big surprise?

The disturbing thing is they are using Full Custom ASIC, at 65nm process node, at 60watts. (@60GH/s)

The competitor (bASIC) is using structured ASIC I believe and is below the 100watt mark on a 90nm process node. (@54GH/s)
Some leaked pictures show that it might be at around 58 to 60watts. But the caption was removed so it is hard to figure out if true or not.

Either way, for a smaller process node...not as efficient as it should be. Perhaps I am missing something....?
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: