Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 09:43:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Set-up to run up to 25 ASIC units  (Read 6270 times)
jjshabadoo (OP)

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:36:08 PM

So I'm trying to get my mind around what the best set-up would be for up to 25 ASIC units. Either the BFL SC singles or bASIC.

I have some people who want to buy some units and have me host them.

So let's say you have about 100 watt draw for each unit on average.

Could you run 25 of these units with a laptop that has an i7 quad core cpu, 8gb ram and a 128GB ssd ?

What about USB bandwith ? Can you use a couple high quality usb hubs or will they have bandwith issues ?

Would you run 5 750watt seasonic gold PSUs or could you use 2 1250watt seasonic gold PSUs ?

Or is it better to just add on 5 of these to 5 existing GPU rigs and run separate mining clients ?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:24:33 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 05:30:24 AM by CoinHoarder

So I'm trying to get my mind around what the best set-up would be for up to 25 ASIC units. Either the BFL SC singles or bASIC.

I have some people who want to buy some units and have me host them.

So let's say you have about 100 watt draw for each unit on average.

Could you run 25 of these units with a laptop that has an i7 quad core cpu, 8gb ram and a 128GB ssd ?

What about USB bandwith ? Can you use a couple high quality usb hubs or will they have bandwith issues ?

Would you run 5 750watt seasonic gold PSUs or could you use 2 1250watt seasonic gold PSUs ?

Or is it better to just add on 5 of these to 5 existing GPU rigs and run separate mining clients ?

I can't answer everything, but I can try to answer a couple things.

1. I think it's unnecessary to get a solid state hard drive. You will hardly be using the HD, the only thing it would speed up would be installation of software, boot up, etc... no need for it to be that fast to mine. Any normal HD should do.

2. As long as you use powered USB hubs, you can hook up to 144 devices on each computer USB port. Two USB hubs are not necessary, one would do just fine. The only reason I can think of to use two hubs would be to make it more stable (1 USB hub dies, all asics go down.... but if you have 2, only half of them will.) Just make sure to shop around and read reviews. Some hubs are super cheap.

3. An i7 is a little overkill also IMO, computers hardly use the CPU much. Hit cntrl-alt-delete and check out your CPU usage. It's probably sitting around 1-2% if you have an i7. I don't think that kind of speed is necessary. I would use a good ole Sempron, but I'm cheap like that. Smiley

4. Sorry to be redundant, but 8gb RAM seems high too. 4Gb should be fine I think.
tHash

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:30:41 AM

To start with, if you are thinking of ASICs, then rather than get 25 singles, get a Minirig SC.   This would eliminate many of your perceived issues.

Also, make sure you are calculating returns based on a reasonable network difficulty.   The network could easily be over 1000 terrahash by time you receive your order.   ROI on orders placed now may extend to 2 years.
jjshabadoo (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

I understand the ROI, mine were ordered LONG ago. Others simply seem to want to throw their hat in for fun (like buy 1-2 units) instead of just buying bitcoins directly.

I already have the laptop and it sits there useless.

so two hubs might make sense

and probably 5 psus instead of 2 1250's (already have the psus of either type)
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 12:34:02 AM

You can run several hundred units off of a netbook.  At least BFL units, I dunno about bASIC units.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:43:04 AM

An old PC/laptop with Win7 or linux should do just fine,single core or dual makes very little difference(lower wattage,the better IMO).Heck even just 1gig of RAM will work fine & an old drive laying around will work too,I have IDE drives of 20 gig just waiting for this  Grin

As long as your not drawing power from the USB,144 devices (or more) is correct  Wink

Not sure about power supplies just yet,waiting for more concrete info,BUT I know Cablez will have any adapters we may need or he'll make them up for us  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 12:44:33 AM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:45:58 AM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

Sweet!!!!!! Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:05:01 AM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

Damn, that is impressive!

Heck even just 1gig of RAM will work fine

If you're using windows 7 64 bit, 2Gb is neccesary.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:24:09 AM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

Damn, that is impressive!

Heck even just 1gig of RAM will work fine

If you're using windows 7 64 bit, 2Gb is neccesary.

For what??

I've been using dual core AMD's (45 watt) cpu's & 1 gig RAM & an old hard drive (IDE) 20 gig & Win7 64bit Ultimate,for my mining rigs for over a year now & notice no difference in mining performance.

Now,if you plan on using that same PC for everyday web browsing or gaming,yes you'll need more..................  Roll Eyes

CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:29:19 AM

For what??

I've been using dual core AMD's (45 watt) cpu's & 1 gig RAM & an old hard drive (IDE) 20 gig & Win7 64bit Ultimate,for my mining rigs for over a year now & notice no difference in mining performance.

Now,if you plan on using that same PC for everyday web browsing or gaming,yes you'll need more..................  Roll Eyes

I didn't know that, cool. The reason why I said 2Gb is necessary is because that is what M$ advertises it as a "system requirement". I guess if it works with only 1Gb, then more power to ya! Ram is cheap anyhow.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/system-requirements
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:16:42 AM

For what??

Now,if you plan on using that same PC for everyday web browsing or gaming,yes you'll need more..................  Roll Eyes

For windows, x64 windows 7 uses more than a gig all by itself.

Ideally, for your mining machine you'll want at the very least 2 gigs, and that's if you plan on doing nothing else with it. Also, I would highly recommend going SSD for the simple fact that when/if your system has an issue, you can reboot it so much faster than a system with a hdd.

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:45:06 AM

2. As long as you use powered USB hubs, you can hook up to 144 devices on each computer USB port. Two USB hubs are not necessary, one would do just fine. The only reason I can think of to use two hubs would be to make it more stable (1 USB hub dies, all asics go down.... but if you have 2, only half of them will.) Just make sure to shop around and read reviews. Some hubs are super cheap.
127 devices on each USB port, including the hubs.
Most 7-port hubs are 2 4-port hubs so they count for 2.
The maximum depth for chaining, connecting a hub to another hub, is 5 iirc.
So connecting a 7-port hub to a 7-port hub to a 7-port hub is possible, but you might find out what port you need to connect to.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:55:38 AM

127 devices on each USB port, including the hubs.
Most 7-port hubs are 2 4-port hubs so they count for 2.
The maximum depth for chaining, connecting a hub to another hub, is 5 iirc.
So connecting a 7-port hub to a 7-port hub to a 7-port hub is possible, but you might find out what port you need to connect to.

Also some of the bigger hubs support multiple tiers of chained smaller hubs...

I use these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817474012

Your top chain is usb3. then it's 3x8 ports.

Anyway, you can hook 4 of these and max out a chain. Also love the buttons for controlling power on each port.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 09:21:26 AM

For what??

For windows, x64 windows 7 uses more than a gig all by itself.

Ideally, for your mining machine you'll want at the very least 2 gigs, and that's if you plan on doing nothing else with it. Also, I would highly recommend going SSD for the simple fact that when/if your system has an issue, you can reboot it so much faster than a system with a hdd.

Well,for my instance,I used older AMD 5050e 2.6 ghz,dual core CPU's (cheaper & lower wattage).I had a DDR2 mobo & RAM on hand.Also DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3.

I have had no issues whatsoever using only 1 gig for my mining rigs,so MS is wrong,period.

As for SSD,they are $1 per gig or more,where as standard drives are about .20 cents per gig...........why spend extra cash if your trying to SAVE money  Huh

BUT,if you are going to do ANYTHING else on that PC,yes at least 2 gig,preferably 4-6 gig is necessary for best performance of your OS & PC  Wink

jjshabadoo (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:18:03 PM

Good stuff and thanks to all.

I was confused by some other posts here about how much information(hashes) the ASIC devices will performing and if this could over-ride the bandwith or capability of the USB ports.

I like things to be concise so I was looking into one of those mondo hubs and then figured I'd buy one to keep in reserve in case it fails.

I also have a microcenter very close to me now so I am pretty psyched! Easy to get parts now for cheap rather than wait for newegg, etc.

I am also figuring for load and efficiency purposes I should use the 5 750 watt psu's.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 01:28:12 AM

164 separate units?

Got some pix? I'd like to see that.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 01:55:57 AM

No, I have split that unit into two separate computers because it was a bit unstable.  Although I have since found out that USB3 is the ultimate culprit of that instability.  It seems that plugging in a massive number of devices to a USB3 port freaks it out and they go into a connect/disconnect cycle, whereas connecting the same number of devices to a USB2 port works just fine.

This post shows the devices: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/267-How-many-Minirigs-(not-SC)-are-out-there?p=3815&viewfull=1#post3815  But they hooked up to two separate machines now instead of 1.  There are about 240 devices in that picture (not counting the 120 on the right, which are connected to a separate set of machines), so they are split roughly evenly between two machines, both at around 120 something each.

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:04:32 AM

I don't want to login on a forum I won't use just to see a picture.
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:03:37 AM

This post shows the devices: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/267-How-many-Minirigs-(not-SC)-are-out-there?p=3815&viewfull=1#post3815 
(...)  There are about 240 devices in that picture (...).
Inaba, there are 18 mini-rigs at the picture, not 240 singles. Correct the link.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: