Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:45:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core  (Read 9286 times)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 05:48:09 PM

1 MB.. 1!..  Just 1!.. for a global payment network!!?? jesus christ..

Come on.. This whole situation with Core vs XT, all the bad blood etc, could have been diffused completely with ZERO risk if the core boys had simply bumped the min block size to 2 or (dare I say it 3) MB.

That's it. End of story. Finished.

Then they can take another few years on the REAL solution.

It is, IMHO, 'completely' an issue with the way CORE has handled this. XT is a symptom of their dithering..

' Geordie! - It's time to EJECT THE CORE '.. You can't have one in a decentralised system. Makes no sense.

This whole situation reminds me of the beginning of RAMBO : First Blood.

They could have diffused the situation, diffused HIM, let him slip through the net, and picked him up working in a gas station a couple of months later.

Instead - they chose to bring a LOT OF BODY BAGS.

Bad choice.

Roll Eyes

Won't you stop getting your panties in a bunch and wait for responsible adults to weight the proper alternatives and analyse the best decision moving forward?

If you expect Bitcoin to grow exponentially and are afraid blocks are going to get filled up too quick what good is a linear 1mb increase?

By the way I'm pretty sure they are going to come up with a proposal that involves something like 30% growth YOY.

Be patient.

Not tonight dear

Waiting forever is irresponsible from a business perspective. End of story.

Enough patience, the deadline is December. Deal with it.

Bitcoin is not a business  Cheesy

Deadline according to who? Brian Armstrong? Lel

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 08:40:13 AM

Armstrong should stick to what he is good at, shuffling money around, schmoozing up to political power brokers and extracting personal financial data for reporting to authorities ... and leave his limited technical ability out of the public spotlight, in case people begin to doubt the wisdom of investing in his company.

IKR?  Armstrong the Pointed-Headed CEO needs to stop assclowning and go back to shitlording, his true area of expertise.

And why does he still like boring old XT, when "Bitcoin" "Unlimited" is all the rage in Gavinista Circles?

He really must avoid interfacing with engineers.  It doesn't turn out well when that happens.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 08:59:07 AM

Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core by the end of December

In my view, Bitcoin XT is the best option I've seen so far. Not just because it has working code, but also because it has a simple implementation that is easy to understand, the block-size increases seem about right to me, and I have confidence in the people behind the project. My preference at this point would be to have Gavin step up as the final decision-maker on Bitcoin XT, and have the industry move to that solution with help from Mike Hearn, Jeff Garzik and others that wish to do so.”

The CEO believes an upgrade is urgently needed in order for the Bitcoin network to handle a sudden increase of Bitcoin usage. As such, Armstrong emphasized that Coinbase will not wait for consensus to form among the Bitcoin development community.

“We will upgrade regardless of whether Bitcoin Core is updated,” Armstrong said. “Capacity planning is something you should try to get ahead of. Growth can be unpredictable, and I want to remove all blockers to Bitcoin's success. I've been disappointed to see how slow Bitcoin Core has moved on this issue, and we're open to switching forks.”

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/coinbase-ceo-brian-armstrong-bip-is-the-best-proposal-we-ve-seen-so-far-1446584055

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-technology-worth-nothing-interview-dark-wallet-front-man-amir-taaki-1412722833

Taaki made really good points in this interview.

Bitcoinj- and Lighthouse-developer Mike Hearn, for instance, was just pushing for an extension to the protocol in order to eliminate possible double-spend transactions in point-of-sale situations. He proposed a system in which miners can vote to steal the block reward from other miners if they accept double spends. The problem is that this opens up the possibility for large mining pools to collude against smaller miners, and use this power to blacklist transactions.And this is just one example, there are many more like it. But it really is insane, it's ludicrous. Just to be able to buy coffee with our Bitcoin-creditcards, and make it a little bit more convenient, we want to destroy all of the freedom it provides? Lose out on the opportunity to enable people to economically organize themselves over wide geographical areas, between different communities, and different organizations with different financial instruments, with tools we have never before seen in the history of humanity? Do we really want to give that up for a silly dream of a few corporations that want to sell a product to consumers, to pump the price? Come on... We're really losing a big thing if we sacrifice Bitcoin for that.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:23:03 AM

Resembles a software engineering problem to me. "Rambo: First Blood", not so much. Who's John in this scenario, Gavin Andresen  Huh

All you hand wavers are forgetting that the Core team are doing something about this. They're going slow. For a reason.

This is a consensus based network. It takes time to re-design a consensus network that's running 24/7/365. There's near enough zero room for screw ups.

The most simple feature to help handle increased transaction rates has been worked on for months now: the mempool limiter to mitigate spam attacks. Several different programmers went through several different design approaches, and finally arrived on an amalgamation of a few of those ideas some weeks ago. It takes a long time to get it right, and they took a long time. And the right solution will be version 0.12.

So be patient, bitcoin brings good thins to those who wait. We should all know that by now.

Vires in numeris
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:32:10 AM

Well if they want to promote and stay on bitcointalk and r/bitcoin they are gonna have a hard time
BIP 101 is a proposal for modifying Bitcoin. Discussing it is allowed. Promoting the usage of BIP 101 before consensus exists is not allowed.
If Coinbase starts promoting XT to customers directly on coinbase.com, Coinbase will be banned.
Quote from theymos, reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3rejl9/coinbase_ceo_brian_armstrong_bip_101_is_the_best/cwo5okx
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:13:57 AM

Resembles a software engineering problem to me. "Rambo: First Blood", not so much. Who's John in this scenario, Gavin Andresen  Huh

Actually, in this metaphorical scenario, John represents the 'Block Size Debate'.

The Cops / Military are the CORE team.

Just as in the movie, the cops handled Rambo badly, the CORE handled the 'Block Size Debate' badly.

Who's Gavin ? Hadn't really reserved him a spot.. Troutman !? As Rambo's original mentor.. (And the Original Bitcoin mentor, post-satoshi, as chosen by satoshi)

Hope that's all clear now.

Life is Code.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:26:05 AM

Actually, in this metaphorical scenario, John represents the 'Block Size Debate'.

The Cops / Military are the CORE team.

Just as in the movie, the cops handled Rambo badly, the CORE handled the 'Block Size Debate' badly.

Who's Gavin ? Hadn't really reserved him a spot.. Troutman !? As Rambo's original mentor.. (And the Original Bitcoin mentor, post-satoshi, as chosen by satoshi)

Hope that's all clear now.

Not really, haven't seen the movie. Address the part of my reply where I wasn't joking if you like.

You're saying "why not bump the size a little", but you've got no answer to the question "why not hit the spam more directly first"

Vires in numeris
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:44:38 AM

1 MB.. 1!..  Just 1!.. for a global payment network!!?? jesus christ..

Come on.. This whole situation with Core vs XT, all the bad blood etc, could have been diffused completely with ZERO risk if the core boys had simply bumped the min block size to 2 or (dare I say it 3) MB.

That's it. End of story. Finished.

Then they can take another few years on the REAL solution.

It is, IMHO, 'completely' an issue with the way CORE has handled this. XT is a symptom of their dithering..

' Geordie! - It's time to EJECT THE CORE '.. You can't have one in a decentralised system. Makes no sense.

They could have diffused the situation, diffused HIM, let him slip through the net, and picked him up working in a gas station a couple of months later.

Instead - they chose to bring a LOT OF BODY BAGS.

Bad choice.

Roll Eyes

Won't you stop getting your panties in a bunch and wait for responsible adults to weight the proper alternatives and analyse the best decision moving forward?

If you expect Bitcoin to grow exponentially and are afraid blocks are going to get filled up too quick what good is a linear 1mb increase?

By the way I'm pretty sure they are going to come up with a proposal that involves something like 30% growth YOY.

Be patient.

Not tonight dear

Waiting forever is irresponsible from a business perspective. End of story.

Enough patience, the deadline is December. Deal with it.

Yes, core will be forced to raise the limit at least to 2 MB within the next 2-4 month.
They won't be able to prolong the stalemate ("which is their preferred outcome" iCE) by doing nothing and endlessly talking.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:05:52 AM

Well if they want to promote and stay on bitcointalk and r/bitcoin they are gonna have a hard time
BIP 101 is a proposal for modifying Bitcoin. Discussing it is allowed. Promoting the usage of BIP 101 before consensus exists is not allowed.
If Coinbase starts promoting XT to customers directly on coinbase.com, Coinbase will be banned.
Quote from theymos, reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3rejl9/coinbase_ceo_brian_armstrong_bip_101_is_the_best/cwo5okx
So, if Coinbase promote XT on their own website, they get banned from reddit? Has theymos gone completly insane?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:18:27 AM

Yes, core will be forced to raise the limit at least to 2 MB within the next 2-4 month.
They won't be able to prolong the stalemate ("which is their preferred outcome" iCE) by doing nothing and endlessly talking.

For once, you're right. I think the above is a highly likely outcome, and combined with the mempool limiter, we should see the transaction rate become less pressurised. Next stop lightning hubs.

Vires in numeris
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:53:47 PM

For once, you're right. I think the above is a highly likely outcome, and combined with the mempool limiter, we should see the transaction rate become less pressurised. Next stop lightning hubs.

I doubt that a 2 mb kick the can down the road will satisfy the big boys enough to not fork on Core. Time will tell. Shortly.

mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:58:25 PM

XT has code which blacklists IPs. Until that is removed, it can keep sinking to where it deserves to go.

Even without those features XT stands for 8 GB blocks.
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:15:38 PM

XT has code which blacklists IPs. Until that is removed, it can keep sinking to where it deserves to go.

Even without those features XT stands for 8 GB blocks.

In 20 years...

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:21:39 PM

I doubt that a 2 mb kick the can down the road will satisfy the big boys enough to not fork on Core. Time will tell. Shortly.

Remember that you're not misquoting me, you're misquoting your friend.

Vires in numeris
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 05:52:59 PM

So, if Coinbase promote XT on their own website, they get banned from reddit? Has theymos gone completly insane?

Theymos is being logically consistent with his previously stated position w/r/t moderating off-topic XT altcoin shilling.  That is the opposite of "completely insane."

Fuck Coinbase, fuck Circle, and (most of all) fuck Goldman Sachs.

Fuck the King.  Kill the Masters.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
MayDee

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 06:22:33 PM

Peter R. Rizun at Scaling Bitcoin Montreal 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad0Pjj_ms2k
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 06:45:09 PM

Peter R's mojo is made potent by an economically and technically illiterate audiences who lack critical thinking skills and the ability to generate unique thoughts on their own.  And to the fact that some segment of the population is drawn to shiny and colorful things which itself is an artifact of our simian ancestry where nature selected individuals who were able to identify fruit which was ripe.  Fortunately for Peter R the world is full of such people.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 06:52:05 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlatan

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
MayDee

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 06:56:38 PM

Peter R's mojo is made potent by an economically and technically illiterate audiences who lack critical thinking skills and the ability to generate unique thoughts on their own.  And to the fact that some segment of the population is drawn to shiny and colorful things which itself is an artifact of our simian ancestry where nature selected individuals who were able to identify fruit which was ripe.  Fortunately for Peter R the world is full of such people.

I see a lot of name calling, but can't see any actual arguments...
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 07:00:37 PM

I see a lot of name calling, but can't see any actual arguments...

Name calling is the best argument small block proponents have in their pocket. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: