Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong calls the industry to fork Bitcoin Core  (Read 9286 times)
SerenaL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 09:55:50 PM

Is a split in the community really worth it? I imagine that such changes could ruin the bitcoin price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 10:02:02 PM

Is a split in the community really worth it? I imagine that such changes could ruin the bitcoin price.
Not everything is about the price. It would damage every aspect of the Bitcoin ecosystem. I do not understand why anyone in their right mind would want everything to split up. You do not take over by force. Either gain consensus with the right features, or stop what you're doing. I do agree that the Core development could increase their pace, however with proper testing. I'd rather have a slow development than implementations of possibly damaging code.

You know your argument is very weak, so you (consciously or not) puff up your rhetoric with feeble attempts at impact exaggeration.
Censorship.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 11:38:59 PM

Fuck XT and fuck Coinbase. If you want to promote a fork, come up with something better than BIP 101 and Hearn's crap.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:12:08 AM

Someone please tell Coinbase that XT is dead in the water? Last time I looked Coinbase is not mining so what they want matters not.

Thats sad but its true.
Anyway most people don't care to cast vote (so its no)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:01:07 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 02:33:40 AM by hdbuck

Forkers should fork off.

May they have coinbase goldman sachs too.

Interesting theymos seems to like stamp. I sure hope they would not go jack nut along with them forkers.

These relentless corporatist shills are exhausting, yet, what cant kill bitcoin makes us stronger!  Cool

danielW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 02:27:46 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 04:20:05 AM by danielW

I am happy to be siding with the cyptherpunks and not the money-hungry suits and US gov (or other gov) boot lickers ('please regulate us', yuck Roll Eyes ).

I prefer the cyptherpunks whose priority is privacy and keeping Bitcoin as hard to control as possible.

The funny thing is the suits chase the $$$, but its having a currency that can not be controlled by any gov, that protects users privacy, and gives users control, that is what will create value. Like always in business, its people who focus on providing value not the people who chase money, that actually make the big $$$.

On a related note.

Do the people at coinbase have any idea, how it would look to the rest of the world, if their take over is successful?? To China To Russia, To India.

So instead of anti-gov cyptherpunks, we gonna have people who go visit the CIA regularly, empowered and paid for by boot-licking US big companies. How does that look to the rest of the world?

I don't want some paypal 2.0 customised to the whims of US government. I don't want their fucking coin. I love Bitcoin I will not love their US centric, more centralised coin. The rest of world is sick of US dollar. Coinbase and buddies can go and piss off.  

I am sticking with cyptherpunks.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 02:39:11 AM

I am happy to be siding with the cyptherpunks and not the money-hungry suits and US gov (or other gov) boot lickers ('please regulate us' yuck Roll Eyes ).

I prefer the cyptherpunks who primary focus on privacy and keeping Bitcoin as hard to control as possible.

The funny thing is the suits chase the $$$, but its having a currency that can not be controlled by any gov that protects users privacy and gives users control, that is what will create value. Like always in business, its people who focus on providing value not the people who chase money, that actually make the big $$$.

On a related note.

Do the idiots at coinbase have any idea, how it would look to the rest of the world, if their take over is successful?? To China To Russia, To India.

So instead of anti-gov cyptherpunks, we gonna have people who go visit the CIA regularly empowered and paid for by boot-licking US big companies. How does that look to the rest of the world?

I dont want some paypal 2.0 customised to the whims of US government. I dont want their fucking coin. I love Bitcoin I will not love their US centric, more centralised coin. The rest of world is sick of US dollar. Coinbase and buddies can go and piss off.  

I am sticking with cyptherpunks.

Preach.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 02:59:26 AM

Censorship.  Roll Eyes

Very disappointed to see Adam Back of all people conceding the (politicized, strategic, colloquial) use of "censorship" as synonymous with forum moderation.

Time to start mocking everyone who uses the more provocative, inflammatory term with not only that classic XKCD, but also with pictures of actual Sensor Ships.

Like this.

ZOMGAWD HALP ITS TEH SENSOR SHIP!!1!1!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 07:24:00 AM

It seems to me that there is a new round of Bitcoin XT debate coming to us as the end of the year is nearing. I am sure that propaganda will do its job!

definitely seems to be a coordinated ramp-up in the big-block agit propaganda ... just like near the beginning of the year.

I suppose when all you have is mouthpieces, but not brains, you have to use your mouthpieces.

meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 07:27:09 AM

It seems to me that there is a new round of Bitcoin XT debate coming to us as the end of the year is nearing. I am sure that propaganda will do its job!

definitely seems to be a coordinated ramp-up in the big-block agit propaganda ... just like near the beginning of the year.

I suppose when all you have is mouthpieces, but not brains, you have to use your mouthpieces.

Is that what you're using?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:38:24 AM

Cry  jump out of your bubble and see who and what is really damaging the community   Cry

The premise that thermos is in a "bubble" is fallacious because it is ad hominem.  Let's be rational and communicate in good faith, instead of arguing about who is or isn't in a bubble.
Bitcoin, inclusive of its community, is antifragile.

We REQUIRE adversity such as the attempted Gavinista governance coup and attempted hostile XT fork to grow stronger.

lol! you just refute your own words within 3 seconds. amazing.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:34:54 AM

If they want XT for more\better\full control, then XT it WILL be.

For them but not for me and not for the rest of the users.

Veris in numeris

Vires in numeris
GannickusX

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:42:50 AM

The premise that thermos is in a "bubble" is fallacious because it is ad hominem. 

Uuuuh, ad hominem against the Greatest Censor of Bitcoin History ...

Well, what he is doing is not really censorship, he believes xt is an altcoin therefore anyone who posts or talks about it in the bitcoin section will get removed. It happens already with any altcoin, if you start a discussion here about litecoin it will get removed because it is an altcoin. By your logic, any deleted post about any altcoin is censorship.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:51:22 AM

Well, what he is doing is not really censorship, he believes xt is an altcoin therefore anyone who posts or talks about it in the bitcoin section will get removed. It happens already with any altcoin, if you start a discussion here about litecoin it will get removed because it is an altcoin. By your logic, any deleted post about any altcoin is censorship.

Forget it. Just one example: The second most viewed thread has not just been moved. It has been locked. You can't fool all the people all the times. The tide is turning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:52:21 AM

If they want XT for more\better\full control, then XT it WILL be.
For them but not for me and not for the rest of the users.
VerisVires in numeris

Ita fiat.  Wink
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:17:42 PM

Cry  jump out of your bubble and see who and what is really damaging the community   Cry

The premise that thermos is in a "bubble" is fallacious because it is ad hominem.  Let's be rational and communicate in good faith, instead of arguing about who is or isn't in a bubble.
Bitcoin, inclusive of its community, is antifragile.

We REQUIRE adversity such as the attempted Gavinista governance coup and attempted hostile XT fork to grow stronger.

lol! you just refute your own words within 3 seconds. amazing.

no he did not, do you speak english?
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:57:09 PM

Coinbase is like a shitty bank. Bitcoin was created to be a free system. These two , are opposite entities.

Coinbase is monitoring your transactions, it's reporting you to Feds and so on...Why would I use Coinbase instead a normal credit card?
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 02:09:51 PM

We can't have big blocks because big blocks will centralize nodes and kill any hopes of a decentralized blockchain. It's pretty damn simple yet some people refuse to ignore this very crucial fact, for some reason.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:31:24 PM

Coinbase is like a shitty bank. Bitcoin was created to be a free system. These two , are opposite entities.

Coinbase is monitoring your transactions, it's reporting you to Feds and so on...Why would I use Coinbase instead a normal credit card?

ecause normal credit cards can monitor your transactions as well, you should get rid of everything that has to do with the fiat system, and use only a wallet to spend your bitcoin

which is what everyone use bitcoin, should do
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:36:43 PM

I have write this before i will write it again. It seems that the business ecosystem around bitcoin are desperate to take control of the source code of it with their own developers etc. This is a fight for the soul of bitcoin. And it is clear who is with them like Roger Ver, Mike Hearn, Gavin Andressen and many more.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: