Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When does altcoins price pump begins?  (Read 3684 times)
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 11:27:35 AM

Hyped BTC will be naturally cashed out in alts. When people begin to realize that BTC is already overvalued, they will begin buying alts to maximize their profits.

yes. Historically this is what has happened. But I think we are a long way from serious volume profit selloff of BTC. I think we will have to be well beyond current ATH. And the funds will flow to the strongest alts. Probably just a few.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 12:38:15 PM

I dont think there s such thing as solving volatility problems. Pumps and dumps will always take place as long as crypto does not become so widespread a single person or group of people cannot affect the price, due to huge volumes.

try pumping nubits then. it would be hilarious Cheesy or perhaps read their whitepaper at https://nubits.com/

nubits has held a steady peg of 1 USD for more than a year by now. it works incredibly well. what is more, it has paid quite a reasonable amount of dividends to the shareholders already

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1211057.0

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 01:01:09 PM

I dont think there s such thing as solving volatility problems. Pumps and dumps will always take place as long as crypto does not become so widespread a single person or group of people cannot affect the price, due to huge volumes.

try pumping nubits then. it would be hilarious Cheesy or perhaps read their whitepaper at https://nubits.com/

nubits has held a steady peg of 1 USD for more than a year by now. it works incredibly well. what is more, it has paid quite a reasonable amount of dividends to the shareholders already

what kind of BS topic is this? if you think you can break the peg of 1$ then why don't you do it to prove your point? until CMC shows that NBT is keeping the peg, it doesn't matter what warm air someone blows out of their mouth.

just go to poloniex and see for yourself that there are plenty of buy and sell orders near 1$ price.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:10:11 PM

what kind of BS topic is this? if you think you can break the peg of 1$ then why don't you do it to prove your point? until CMC shows that NBT is keeping the peg, it doesn't matter what warm air someone blows out of their mouth.

just go to poloniex and see for yourself that there are plenty of buy and sell orders near 1$ price.

There are screenshots that shows a ridiculous 5 btc buy support.
When btc spikes nubits and co have a big liquidity problem and it is only getting bigger the more btc rises.
Just think about it and hope they dont run.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 01:23:40 PM

When btc spikes nubits and co have a big liquidity problem and it is only getting bigger the more btc rises.

let me repeat myself --- if things were really so bad, then how come the peg has been kept? just break the peg as a proof of concept and see what happens. don't just spread FUD. I have used nubits for a year now and I have always been able to sell and buy as much as I need to. if there is no liquidity in one exchange then there is liquidity in the other exchange. it works.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:11:54 PM

let me repeat myself --- if things were really so bad, then how come the peg has been kept? just break the peg as a proof of concept and see what happens. don't just spread FUD. I have used nubits for a year now and I have always been able to sell and buy as much as I need to. if there is no liquidity in one exchange then there is liquidity in the other exchange. it works.

Didnt meant to offense or fud, just some thoughs.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 02:43:08 PM

There will always be screenshots of such.
Some might be fake, but there are real ones as well.
I can only speak for Nu, because I'm not familiar with other "stable" coins.

Providing liquidity for Nu comes with some safety measures. In very volatile times it might happen that walls are pulled for a short period of time.
But it's necessary to do that. Otherwise you might end up selling 1 NBT for the BTC equivalent of $ 0.9 (in case the BTC price swings down by 10% in a short period of time while the wall doesn't get pulled).
There's nothing wrong with that. Selling 1 NBT for $0.9 and buying it back for $1 is economical suicide.
I understand that people are unhappy not being able to profit from misplaced walls...
As soon as the volatility settles, 1 NBT can be bought or sold for $1 (+/- exchange fee and a little buffer to prevent the walls from being shifted at each tiny move of BTC price).

NuBits have been stable for more than one year (even being under pressure with exchange hacks in February this year), are able to handle daily trading volumes of millions USD (have a look at January this year). The recent daily trading volume was hundreds of thousands of USD. The peg was kept tightly all the time.

If you want to have a live overview of walls maintained by Nu, have a look here: https://alix.coinerella.com/walls/
Of course there's not one exchange with all the liquidity - Nu is decentralized even in this area.

Seriously - what are the alternatives?
Trading to real USD (or other fiat) at an exchange which you are not able to withdraw in minutes and send them back in minutes 24x7 (and only after you have passed KYC etc. barriers)?
BTC-E coupons or alike?

USDT (Tether)? You are aware that Tether is fully centralized by holding the collateral in USD? If the funds get frozen or lost for whatever reason, USDT is worthless.

bitUSD is open source and distributed, but has little (currently: no) volume at exchanges. The spread is much closer since the release of BitShares 2.0 - it's yet unknown how it can handle high volumes on exchanges. Have a look at the number of supported exchanges and the trading volume: http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/bitusd/#markets
And you complain about "only" 5 BTC buy support for NuBits at a certain time?

coinoUSD is based on NXT, but a fully centralized Coinomat operation. It requires proxy assets to work, which doesn't make using it very convenient.

is closed source, distribution status is unknown (to me) and the inner workings seem to be hidden behind marketing names like "Argus-Nemesis algorithm", "Clotho-Hydra algorithm", etc. - come to your own conclusion!

NuBits is open source, distributed and based on well-known software (ultimately based on Bitcoin code, with Peercoin and Peershares in between).
If you want a stable, blockchain based, open source, decentralized, pegged (to USD) currency capable to handle decent volume and without external collateral, the choice is somewhat limited at the moment Wink

mhps

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 12:46:19 AM

coinoUSD is based on NXT, but a fully centralized Coinomat operation. It requires proxy assets to work, which doesn't make using it very convenient.

From discussions here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1000725.msg11126060#msg11126060 there is no mechanism to guarantee the future value of 1 coinUSD. You have to depend on the issuing site to actually have the money to redeem coinoUSD, just like Tether. It's a centralized e-currency. You may as well use PerfectMoney or OKPay or exchanges'  e-coupons.

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
bigfryguy

Activity: 416

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 03:59:08 AM

Im not asking for much before I switch to an altcoin..

Just give me something that is instantly transfereable, while also being instantly respendable, and while being near impossible to doublespend...  also if it could be totally decentralized and have minimal to no blockchain bloat, and have the ability to have 1000's of tx/sec.....   

then Ill consider switching.

oh and if it could have anon capability, that would be nice as well.

masterOfDisaster

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:12:38 AM

Im not asking for much before I switch to an altcoin..

Just give me something that is instantly transfereable, while also being instantly respendable, and while being near impossible to doublespend...  also if it could be totally decentralized and have minimal to no blockchain bloat, and have the ability to have 1000's of tx/sec.....   

then Ill consider switching.

oh and if it could have anon capability, that would be nice as well.

Then you consider switching? From what? Bitcoin? Because Bitcoin offers all that?
bigfryguy

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:05:12 AM

just saying that I will put all my Bitcoins into whatever altcoin can do all these things...

I love Bitcoin, but If a coin can solve all the problems with using bitcoin ill go all in...

actually, Im already half way there, if the project I like proves in time to have accomplished all these goals, Ill go all in and say bye bye to BTC.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:13:15 AM

just saying that I will put all my Bitcoins into whatever altcoin can do all these things...

I love Bitcoin, but If a coin can solve all the problems with using bitcoin ill go all in...

actually, Im already half way there, if the project I like proves in time to have accomplished all these goals, Ill go all in and say bye bye to BTC.

These wonder alts promise the Earth. It doesn't count for shit unless actual humans pile in no matter how wonderful they are technically. Have a dabble by all means but Bitcoin itself is risky enough and that's taken years to get the amount of trust and faith it has now. Without those your money is likely to turn to dust. Ask all the thousands of people on here who lost out when they believed their coin was 'the answer'.  
masterOfDisaster

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 12:52:14 PM

It will be extraordinarily hard to have one "coin" that does all and all of it better than other ones.
Maybe the Unix Philosophy "Do One Thing and Do It Well" is more efficient.
You have less dependencies on other things and some things can't just be achieved at the same time, because they are at opposite ends.

You want anonymity - pick the right one! (e.g. Monero; huge blockchain growth)
You want speed - pick the right one! (e.g. ; closed source, unknown level of decentralization)
You want minimal to no blockchain bloat - pick the right one! (e.g. Peercoin; over 2 years old, less than 500 MB blockchain size)
You want it decentralized - pick the right one! (why not Peercoin again... secured by PoS, but distribution via PoW still ongoing)
You want a high number of transactions per time - pick the right one! (have no clue what is _really_ capable of 1000's of tx/sec)

You can't have a high number of transactions with a small blockchain in a decentralized design very easy if ever.
On the other hand decentralization and small blockchain work very well with each other.

All you need to have the right attribute at the moment you need it is a frictionless exchange of different coins - just trade to the coin that has the required attribute when you need it!
If you want to speculate, buy BTC, LTC, whatever.
If you want stability, buy bitUSD or NBT!

Decentralized exchanges might help a lot here, especially those who operate with native tokens.
Sadly Mercury and Blocks & Chains Exchange are not yet operational and all existing decentralized exchanges require proxy assets or are in other ways inconvenient.

For the time being services like shapeshift.io seem to be the only convenient and frictionless means of exchange - but obviously shapeshift is centralized.
bigfryguy

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:46:15 PM

sorry didnt mean to derail this topic.....  Alts will start their pump after the Bitcoin Bullrun obviously, unless something comes out that solves the problems that Bitcoin faces, while being better than all the other clone coins out there at what they claim they can do.

Trouble821

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:10:57 PM

sorry didnt mean to derail this topic.....  Alts will start their pump after the Bitcoin Bullrun obviously, unless something comes out that solves the problems that Bitcoin faces, while being better than all the other clone coins out there at what they claim they can do.

Earlier this year the alts rallied before Bitcoin. Bitcoin was doing nothing, then dead alts started mooning one after the other while Bitcoin remained down. Earthcoin, Feroraoin, and Mooncoin all had spectacular rallies after being declared dead and languishing since 2014. Eventually Bitcoin rallied but it's sometimes the alts that moon first.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:19:59 PM

Earlier this year the alts rallied before Bitcoin. Bitcoin was doing nothing, then dead alts started mooning one after the other while Bitcoin remained down. Earthcoin, Feroraoin, and Mooncoin all had spectacular rallies after being declared dead and languishing since 2014. Eventually Bitcoin rallied but it's sometimes the alts that moon first.

The way i see it is altcoins are used by traders that don't wish to cash out to fiat, but rather in an altcoin that seams profitable at the time, so when i see bitcoin
price surging forward , i sell every alt i have, and re-buy them once bitcoin upward pressure stops. There are many pumps that are unrelated to btc price tho, much harder to predict those.
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:36:43 PM

My guess with the alt's it is about luck, meaning you buy them when they are reaching the all time low.

Most alt rally's are started by...nothing at all. Look at vtc, ftc and even ltc), no news, no features just a sudden pump & dump. Buying alts (expect for a handful innovative coins) is just a waste of time/money.

JP Morgan

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 07:31:33 PM

This time, the pump of bitcoin is by some institutions. They are not interested in altcoins. So the pump of altcoins will come very late and degree of pump is less than previous ones.
masterOfDisaster

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:41:29 PM

Except for those leading the pumps and dumps, no one can really know when they happen and what their target is.
Not being the leader will make it hard to be on the winning side, because there's obviously an information asymmetry.

It might be a more reliable approach to find those altcoins which really do something others don't and invest in them.
Just because some altcoin has unique attributes doesn't mean it WILL be successful. But it means that it has a chance to be successful.

It's very much like with startup companies - a lot of them fail, but those that are successful might become very valuable.

So go and search those altcoins that have attributes which might make them successful!
Diversify your investments. Be patient. Don't panic buy or panic sell.

...or try to play the trading game - sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose...

And if you want to try something completely different, invest money in corporations that have moved their management processes to a blockchain (DACs).
You can buy tokens of those corporations and participate in the development by making decisions and can profit from the success by rising prices or receiving dividends.
Examples for DACs are e.g. BitShares, Blocks & Chains Exchange (under construction), the Nu network (not the stable currency they issue, but shares of the corporation: NSR), NXT and for sure some more that I'm not aware of.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:45:45 PM

Probably when the 1w RSI is oversold and/or daily is below 20...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: