Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:49:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I miss GPU Mining  (Read 4770 times)
lightlord
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3226
Merit: 1226

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 10:07:01 PM

-------------------------------
MSI AFTERBURNER:

Core Voltage (mV):   1137 from 1174
Core clock (MHz) :    1100
Memory Clock (MHz): 1375
Fan speed: 60%
7970 Temp: 85 C
-------------------------------
571 KHSAH Mining Rates:

Here's a more OC clocked version, its stable, though
I don't run it at this, as its too loud, 54%-60% it goes up 10X in sound.
But here it is

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:03:22 AM

Try turning your core clock down and the aggression up, I get higher hashes on a 7770 with 915 core / 1360 mem and aggression 19

For some reason high core clocks result in not being able to use high aggressions

You should be able to do 915 core with 965 mV too

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:14:41 AM

I think I'll miss GPU mining less than I won't miss GPU mining Smiley

Days of being excited to get new hardware, set up new miner rigs and watching my GH go up and up will be missed.

Days of trying to keep 40 GPU's running on 9 machines, 8000 BTU Air Conditioner still barely keeping the room at 95 degrees F, $800-$900 electric bills, crazy noise & heat, and tripping over extension cords won't be missed.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:45:18 AM

I think I'll miss GPU mining less than I won't miss GPU mining Smiley

Days of being excited to get new hardware, set up new miner rigs and watching my GH go up and up will be missed.

Days of trying to keep 40 GPU's running on 9 machines, 8000 BTU Air Conditioner still barely keeping the room at 95 degrees F, $800-$900 electric bills, crazy noise & heat, and tripping over extension cords won't be missed.

I agree 100%, it was a wild and crazy ride, that I enjoyed a lot; but I literally barely slept for months, it was like a dry-sauna 24/7 in my room, I'm pretty sure I permanently damaged my hearing from having so many fans running full blast, and trying to convince the people I lived with that the Feds were (probably) not going to break down our door searching for a "Grow" house due to power bills that could only be explained as normal if we were a 10 bedroom mansion in antarctica was a bit exhausting.

Lots of good stories and memories though, so that's something.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 01:02:55 AM

I really don't see the difference between having a GPU you could sell for $200 but choose not to in order to mine Litecoin/Vanity addresses, and investing $200 to purchase the same GPU for the same purpose. Either way you're giving up $200 in order to mine.
Yes, $200 = $200, but that isn't the only cost.

Cards don't show up at your door and start mining. You have to do some setup and probably play with clock speeds. If you've already done this for a card for BTC, transitioning the card to a new purpose is less work than setting up a brand new card.

420 (OP)

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 01:36:38 AM

Is this thread from the futur? GPU mining is still profitable.
Yes it is. But we are counting the last weeks here...

I will keep mining, unlike others, I see the big picture and I'm in for the long run... so if I make 1 btc or 20 today, I don't really care...
worst case scenario I'm upping my electricity bill and lowering my heat bill so... maybe in 10 years when I have 10,000 - 15,000 BTC then BTC might be worth more than $10... Smiley

if heater is gas that's much cheaper than heating via gpu

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 04:55:35 AM

I'll keep mining with my GPU, until 30M diff or so, cause I'm in for the long, and truly beleive BTC will worth much more within few years..
If I had not lost my full time well paid job, be sure I had grab a bunch of those cheap GPU availlable..  Sad  Those bastard, they fired me while on sick leave..  Enjoy Capitalism Tongue
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:07:39 AM

I'll keep mining with my GPU, until 30M diff or so, cause I'm in for the long, and truly beleive BTC will worth much more within few years..
If I had not lost my full time well paid job, be sure I had grab a bunch of those cheap GPU availlable..  Sad  Those bastard, they fired me while on sick leave..  Enjoy Capitalism Tongue

Why not sell the GPUs and buy BTC instead? You'll end up ahead.
420 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:38:05 AM

exactly. if you can't mine profitably don't go into the negatives just to get coins you think will be worth more later. take the USD and BUY the coins Smiley

Meatball

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 01:33:13 PM

If I had not lost my full time well paid job, be sure I had grab a bunch of those cheap GPU availlable..  Sad  Those bastard, they fired me while on sick leave..  Enjoy Capitalism Tongue

exactly. if you can't mine profitably don't go into the negatives just to get coins you think will be worth more later. take the USD and BUY the coins Smiley

Yeah.  Mining at a loss at any point is just stupid.  If you are paying out more than you are making from BTC, you would have been better to buy BTC straight up like the others have said.

Let's say it costs you $12 to make $10 worth of BTC, you have $10 worth of BTC.  If you had just spent that $12 on BTC, you'd have $12 worth of BTC. Smiley
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 02:09:36 PM

I miss my Radeon's

Don't worry 420.  Your Radeon's are safe with me  Grin
420 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:30:59 PM

I miss my Radeon's

yes, I hope

got 2.2g/hash yet?

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 10:07:26 PM

I miss my Radeon's

yes, I hope

got 2.2g/hash yet?

Huh  Huh  Huh
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 11:37:19 PM

I will keep mining, unlike others, I see the big picture and I'm in for the long run... so if I make 1 btc or 20 today, I don't really care...
worst case scenario I'm upping my electricity bill and lowering my heat bill so... maybe in 10 years when I have 10,000 - 15,000 BTC then BTC might be worth more than $10... Smiley
What if they're worth $0?

That's part of a high risk investment... I understand other people mine to make quick profit since the cost (power)/ benefit (BTC price) gives them an edge... well....for me mining is a hobby as well as a long term investment. BTC is not my primary source of income, on the contrary, I spent close to $5000 in rigs, however, I already recovered the investment BTC wise, and I'm just keeping as many as possible...
I don't buy BTC, I just mine them... and in the future, they might worth 0, or we might be debating about the time we used to own a whole BTC!!! Smiley
we'll never know...

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 11:59:12 PM

yes it is strange moving to just plug and play BTC mining. At least we have Litecoin to turn GPUs on to

Meatball

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:22:56 AM

Death, might I inquire as to what you are mining with to have that 10-15K mining number in your head?  That's 1,000 - 1,500 BTC a year.  Assuming absolutely no change in difficulty, that's about 10.5 GH/sec right now and will 21 GH/sec at the next difficulty change when reward drops to 25.  Then 42 GH/second 4 years from there, then 84 GH/sec 4 years from there.  Once again, assuming 0 change in difficulty, which is not going to happen.

420 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 03:42:14 AM

Death, might I inquire as to what you are mining with to have that 10-15K mining number in your head?  That's 1,000 - 1,500 BTC a year.  Assuming absolutely no change in difficulty, that's about 10.5 GH/sec right now and will 21 GH/sec at the next difficulty change when reward drops to 25.  Then 42 GH/second 4 years from there, then 84 GH/sec 4 years from there.  Once again, assuming 0 change in difficulty, which is not going to happen.

maybe he's including trading bitcoin on the ups and downs to increase his supply...

Meatball

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 03:47:06 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 03:58:18 AM by Meatball

Could be, he could have 100 GH running for all I know.  Just seems like there's a lot of people around lately that seem to think "My computer can makez me money for free? Sweet!  I'll mine with my Celeron e3300 and I'll be a bajillionaire in 5 years!"

I just hope new (and even some old) folks are taking some time to do a bit of research before they invest too much into mining and really understand the money that can be made vs. how much money they're spending on hardware and power.  Seeing some of the posts, I think there's a lot of confusion/misinformation that people are working off of.

A little bit of research and number crunching can relatively easily let you know if it's smarter for you to mine, not mine but buy BTC directly, or just avoid BTC altogether.  Smart/Informed decisions can be made about BTC if you're willing to put in a little bit of time.  I hate to sound like a crotchety old SoB, but there seems to have been a real uptick lately in people who don't see to have any clue what they're doing and there's no excuse for that, all the information is out there if you just look.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:55:12 AM

I really don't see the difference between having a GPU you could sell for $200 but choose not to in order to mine Litecoin/Vanity addresses, and investing $200 to purchase the same GPU for the same purpose. Either way you're giving up $200 in order to mine.

That's actually a decent point - which is why the best pro miners have sold their farms slowly over the last 3 months. Personally, I'm down to just my fpgas and the 6x 6990s on my gaming computers.

I'm actually looking forward to retiring those so people can have guilt free gaming again.

Asics are going to change up the game - but it will settle out in the long run... my advice is pick your price point (mine's about $10/btc) go short as soon as an asic ships or you see the difficulty going up... There will definately be a couple of crashes as people generate 2 weeks of coins in a day or 3. Then when it gets 'low enough' buy buy buy.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:04:50 PM

I am still putting together GPU miners, call me crazy or whatever, that's up to you.

It is not for BTC though, they will all be mining alt coins. Think of it as a long term investment.

GPUs will not be useless for mining after the reward half, they will only be useless for BTC mining.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: