Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:33:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin Will Not Survive", says Jamie Dimon  (Read 7856 times)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 05:40:44 PM

I am fed up of all of these people saying bitcoin won't survive, for god sake

It's still an experimental currency, so no wonder why people are so concerned about whether it will "survive" or not.  People where the same way when Central Banks started changed the rates of gold standard to the notes issued out to people, and where extremely skeptical when they declared no more gold standard should be used.  When you make a huge change to the way things work, you have to remain skeptical... but these guys are saying it will "not survive" because they don't want it survive.  If it does, then it will essentially put them out of work, because everyone with a computer could easily be their own banker; which in turn puts them out of (high paying) jobs.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Omegasun

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:48:41 AM

There are a lot of believers of bitcoins who want to bitcoin for their rest of life. They are trying to spread it to each corner of the world so that to make it the global digital currency. As long as people love bitcoins, it will survive. No one can stop it from staying with us.

I am one of those believers. I want to talk to my friends and relatives about bitcoin. Most of the time, it is not well received.

Tagz
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:23:18 AM

I am fed up of all of these people saying bitcoin won't survive, for god sake

It's still an experimental currency, so no wonder why people are so concerned about whether it will "survive" or not.  People where the same way when Central Banks started changed the rates of gold standard to the notes issued out to people, and where extremely skeptical when they declared no more gold standard should be used.  When you make a huge change to the way things work, you have to remain skeptical... but these guys are saying it will "not survive" because they don't want it survive.  If it does, then it will essentially put them out of work, because everyone with a computer could easily be their own banker; which in turn puts them out of (high paying) jobs.

Exactly. I don't mind people having doubt over btc, it's normal! It's an experiment in itself, how could we all be perfectly convinced on it? Nobody know what gonna happen with it!

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 11:37:22 AM

1st World governments can't really ban Bitcoins from the daily use.
At least not in europe.

Nemesis099

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 02:14:16 PM

Bitcoin here is to survive and it will survive for many years to come, one person cannot judge the future of bitcoins, bitcoin will me more stronger in future and will be successful as a currency.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:09:11 PM

There are a lot of believers of bitcoins who want to bitcoin for their rest of life. They are trying to spread it to each corner of the world so that to make it the global digital currency. As long as people love bitcoins, it will survive. No one can stop it from staying with us.

I am one of those believers. I want to talk to my friends and relatives about bitcoin. Most of the time, it is not well received.

Im also not comfortable talking about Bitcoin because talking about alternatives to normal money is too cutting edge and you are always portrayed a s weirdo, but over time slowly it will become mainstream by itself. Also lets not forget that even if it never becomes super mainstream, it does not mean it cannot reach a trillion marketcap just as gold (who the hells owns gold or talks about owning gold with their family and friend.. no one).
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:12:51 PM

Bitcoin here is to survive and it will survive for many years to come, one person cannot judge the future of bitcoins, bitcoin will me more stronger in future and will be successful as a currency.

It is not just one person.It is the whole banking industry we will have as our enemy.
And these guys are very very close with the politicians as you might know!
Fact is they will not just watch us and gave up.They will come up with even more propaganda and smear campaigns and trying to undermine us.Divide and conquer etc etc.
This will be a tough fight which already has begun.And it will get worse!
So do yourself favour and never ever underestimate these bastards!
ekoice

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:44:55 PM

A lot of old-money folks have these opinions (misconceptions?) about Bitcoin. It's OK. They are irrelevant in the future economy.
Yes i am sure these billionaires don't like other currencies like bitcoins to be famous and get benefit to the public. I can understand what happening in their minds and they don't want such plans to be famous like bitcoins.
jkrules

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:46:49 PM

A lot of old-money folks have these opinions (misconceptions?) about Bitcoin. It's OK. They are irrelevant in the future economy.
Yes i am sure these billionaires don't like other currencies like bitcoins to be famous and get benefit to the public. I can understand what happening in their minds and they don't want such plans to be famous like bitcoins.

Yeah, agreed, they don't want that bitcoin should be more popular and get on the mainstream or become a global currency, they hate bitcoin and they want that others should also follow them.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:42:55 PM

Same here. I've been trying to convince my friends who invest in the stock market about bitcoins but they say that stock market shares have a real value and are legal but bitcoins aren't yet legal and they might fall in trouble if they invest. They also say that banks would close their account. I've no reason to give them to invest now and hence to some extent these articles and statements seem true.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:43:52 PM

I agree with him to an extent. Till the Government doesn't make Bitcoins a legal currency and regulate it, the crypto currency doesn't look to have a great future. Just like what happened with Liberty Reserve and the owner was arrested to have an online wallet that could be used for illegal purposes, I am afraid the same case would be with bitcoins as well.

Liberty reserve was meant to be a money laundering scheme and hence was different.
The most important fact is the the US government has auctioned bitcoins seized from silk road. This gives Bitcoin implied legality. Plus with Bitlicences being in place, the question of Bitcoin's legal status doesn't arise.

Liberty Reserve, e-Gold, Liberty Dollars were all shut down from central locations. The Gov't can cause troubles for some users, but will not easily destroy Bitcoin.
"Satoshi" could do much more damage to the Bitcoin economy than Big Brother.

y8tvkid

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:03:44 PM

Yeah, agreed, they don't want that bitcoin should be more popular and get on the mainstream or become a global currency, they hate bitcoin and they want that others should also follow them.

Yes, and bitcoin can never die, unless it reaches to zero value, and I don't think that is happening in near future, so we should not listen to what people spread news related bitcoins.
elloco4ever

Activity: 623
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:13:08 PM

Yes, and bitcoin can never die, unless it reaches to zero value, and I don't think that is happening in near future, so we should not listen to what people spread news related bitcoins.

Yes Bitcoin will not die and some losers who are jealous about the growth of Bitcoin spreads these kind of news and thinks that it will panic people and people will stop trusting BTC but it's not gonna happen.

Am I spamming? Report me!
DMB

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:17:08 PM

JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon has issued new remarks about bitcoin, dismissing the digital currency's potential to survive in the long-term.

Speaking at the Fortune Global Forum, Dimon said people were wasting their time with digital currencies such as bitcoin.

He added:

"This is my personal opinion, there will be no real, non-controlled currency in the world. There is no government that's going to put up with it for long ... there will be no currency that gets around government controls."

Full article: http://www.coindesk.com/jamie-dimon-bitcoin-will-not-survive/

this guy must be a total crazy person when it comes down to it. or his views on things are totally out of whack.

just look at how fast it already has grown since the public has heard of it.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:54:40 PM

Same here. I've been trying to convince my friends who invest in the stock market about bitcoins but they say that stock market shares have a real value and are legal but bitcoins aren't yet legal and they might fall in trouble if they invest. They also say that banks would close their account. I've no reason to give them to invest now and hence to some extent these articles and statements seem true.

This is because the Western public is largely docile and too trusting of government and authorities, though that is changing slowly now, see Greece for example.
In China and India (now Argentina and Venezuela lesser so) they have long histories of being sceptical and distrustful of communist authoritarian rulers messing around with their money and financial freedom so they grok bitcoin much more readily.  Also they maybe more techncial savvy when it means saving themselves financially.

The Western public mainstream is largely slow and trusting though there are pockets that are sharp and cynical of authority and do not listen to corrupt criminals like Dimon and his henchmen, or cower in fear when some pencil-neck official warns against exercising your right to monetary freedom.

fruitcommander

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:11:13 PM

A single human being cannot predict or judge the future of bitcoins, bitcoin is popular because of the people who are using it, bitcoin will die only if people would stop using it.
Omegasun

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:37:38 PM

A single human being cannot predict or judge the future of bitcoins, bitcoin is popular because of the people who are using it, bitcoin will die only if people would stop using it.

He can say whatever he wants. I will keep on holding my bitcoin and see its value rise very very high.

Tagz
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█