Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody in Washington is not happy  (Read 2560 times)
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 10:09:43 PM

They can collect 50 million signatures -- if they attempt to secede in any practical way, anyone doing anything to support that end goal will no doubt be slaughtered like pigs.

That is the unfortunate reality.  Never bring a signature to a gunfight.  :-)
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 03:59:30 AM

Wake me up when it crosses 2.6 million, which is 10% of the population of Texas.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 04:54:44 AM

They can collect 50 million signatures -- if they attempt to secede in any practical way, anyone doing anything to support that end goal will no doubt be slaughtered like pigs.

People have fought for independence before, I think it is pretty naive to think it won't happen again just because of the era we're in, all that's needed is for one of the states to call themselves a republic and then the federal government will throw a fit.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 05:07:27 AM

People have fought for independence before, I think it is pretty naive to think it won't happen again just because of the era we're in, all that's needed is for one of the states to call themselves a republic and then the federal government will throw a fit.
What a state calls itself is largely irrelevant. Most people still consider it the Republic of Texas. I just recently learned that London and The City of London are two separate entities, so I'll forgive you not knowing the intricacies of the federal system. Ideally, each state governs itself, except in certain matters as defined by the constitution. This includes internal structure, such as whether it is structured as a republic or a commonwealth, or some other form of democracy.

Now, when a state declares itself completely sovereign, and not subject to federal control, that's when things start to get messy. As has been mentioned, last time this was attempted, lots of people died over it. Constitutionally, it was supposed to be possible, but Lincoln rather put the kabosh on that. Before the civil war, one would say, "the United States are." After, one says, "the United States is."

This is likely to get messy very quickly, or the US will simply dissolve as an entity.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 05:12:39 AM

damn that went up quick lol
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 05:49:40 AM

Holy cow, it's 92,691 now, what happens if it reaches 500,000? LOL Cheesy
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:07:26 AM

I need to double check things but I'm pretty sure it's entirely within the power of states to do this.

Have you heard of a little thing called the Civil War? It paints a vivid picture of the Federal government's stance on state secession.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:09:14 AM

I'm curious what the UN will do, they approve of nations becoming sovern and they attack those who try to stop it.
Will the US be able to attack a state that rebels and be hypocrites?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 06:19:00 AM

This is likely to get messy very quickly, or the US will simply dissolve as an entity.
As bad as the fed can be, I would rather have it around than whatever takes its place. Not to mention what happens in the time inbetween.

The "inbetween" is definitely not on my top ten list of things to experience before I die. Life in a failed State is Not Fun®. The replacements for a federal government likely to spring up from such a failed State aren't what I would consider prime vacation spots, either.

That said, a dissolution of the federal government need not be the violent, turbulent thing we all fear. Tell me, what interaction with the federal government do you have, on a day to day basis? How much would life really change for you if it went away? The US military would all likely come home. That can't be a bad thing. Who here doesn't have a friend or a relative in the military? Federal lands would become property of the state they are in. Federal income tax would go away. State taxes would probably go up a bit to compensate for loss of federal funding. Probably the worst hit would be the reporters. With no beltway scandals, they'd have to go back to reporting state and local stuff. Poor guys.

Step in the right direction, if you ask me.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 07:02:49 AM

Have to laugh at states that violate civil rights with impunity seceding from the U.S. Especially Texas, which uses Jim Crow laws to keep minorities from being able to effectively defend themselves in public, as well as New Jersey.

As far as I'm concerned, their governments have already seceded, as long as they've been using the Constitution they ratified as toilet paper.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 04:20:40 AM

I need to double check things but I'm pretty sure it's entirely within the power of states to do this.

Have you heard of a little thing called the Civil War? It paints a vivid picture of the Federal government's stance on state secession.

I believe it's called "The War of Northern Aggression" ;-)
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 04:33:00 AM

I believe it's called "The War of Northern Aggression" ;-)

I prefer "The Second American Revolution." Wink

Haole

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 04:36:07 AM

Well, I reckon you don't ask permission to secede, you just go ahead and frickin' do it.

While this is encouraging, I could see it getting co-opted on a national level and going pfft like the occupy movement for example...

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 04:39:37 AM

Well, I reckon you don't ask permission to secede, you just go ahead and frickin' do it.

While this is encouraging, I could see it getting co-opted on a national level and going pfft like the occupy movement for example...

Don't write off Occupy just yet. They're doing good things. But I have a hard time imaging a secession movement being co-opted federally...Wink

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 08:39:35 AM

Correct.  Texans asking (pretty please) the feds for permission to secede is no different (in principle and in practice) than Negroes asking their masters to walk free.  If one wants to be free, asking for one's freedom ain't going to work, because the very act of asking presupposes that one is not free to begin with.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 08:47:50 AM

Well I hope that's not the case, the problem with the occupy movement is the ones that appeared on the media at least were misguided people really raging against the establishment and didn't actually know what caused it so they targeted the most obvious scapegoat wall street. While these guys did benefit a lot from the crisis they didn't actually cause it. Peter Schiff even posted up a video on youtube where he tried actually debating with them on their own terms and thought they should be marching on the federal reserve instead but they just went ahead and ranted about evil corporations.

What I'm worried about is these states that succeeding are only going to be filled with racist and religious evangelicals like the kind that would watch fox news and believe every word of it, if that happens then the movement would lose all credibility and just be another pathetic confederacy.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: