Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we have rules in this forum?
Yes
No

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: The Forum is getting cluttered, do we need rules?  (Read 1940 times)
riX (OP)

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:48:34 PM

In my opinion, this forum are getting increasingly hard to read, mostly due to bad "netiquette".

Do we need some kind of forum rules? Use this thread to discuss the pros and cons of rules and if you are in favor of them, what rules we should have?

Suggestions (in order of my view of importance):
  • The topic should reflect the content of the thread.
  • Further discussion about existing topics should be posted in the existing thread(s).
  • For off-topic discussion, a new thread should be created. (Occasional off-topic posts might be ok).

Of course, we also have to discuss the penalties for breaking the rules; suggestions are:
  • Timed ban from starting threads.
  • Timed ban from posting.
  • Account removal (for obvious troll/spam accounts, although it might never be needed, timed bans should suffice).

So, do you agree? Who likes five new "BITCOIN CRASH, SELL NOW !!1!1"-threads a day?

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 PM

the only rule I really want to have here is:
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE YOU START NEW THREADS YOU FUCKING FUCKS !
Wink
if the board search is too complicated for you, use google with site:forum.bitcoin.org

basically it should be like this:
interested in information --> looking for available source of information -> no information found ? then, and only then make a new thread regarding your needs

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:10:21 PM

The topic should reflect the content of the thread.

For off-topic discussion, a new thread should be created. (Occasional off-topic posts might be ok).

These rules already exist. They are part of "common sense". Use the report feature if you see this stuff.

Further discussion about existing topics should be posted in the existing thread(s).

I don't like this rule. Often there is a lot of new and useful discussion in "duplicate" threads. Even the constant "Deflationary=bad" threads get very good replies.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:38:04 PM

I don't like this rule. Often there is a lot of new and useful discussion in "duplicate" threads. Even the constant "Deflationary=bad" threads get very good replies.

And I get to post an article from Bitcoin Weekly about why deflation ain't so bad.  Wink

cschmitz

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 02:57:23 PM

I think there should be an attempt to curb the whole issue of people "signing up to predict doom" and generally causing mischief.
I am convinced there will be a rather forceful "attack" on the people of the forum by people or entities who want BTC to fail or even just manipulate the BTC rate to profit from trading.
Given the rapidly increasing popularity of btc and this being a very very exposed public place to yap about btc, i am convinced that some harsher steps are necessary to alleviate the issues.

Steps could be:

- Allow creation of new threads in the "bitcoin discussion" forum only after 25 postings
- Be quick on the thread deletion when people post factually wrong information
- make all new threads in the marketplace premoderated to be able to filter out the most obvious scam'ish things

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
lizthegrey

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:33:33 PM

I proposed having a set of rough guidelines in http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13512.0 but it hasn't gotten much attention.
jashan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 08:39:27 PM

So, do you agree? Who likes five new "BITCOIN CRASH, SELL NOW !!1!1"-threads a day?

Actually, I'd like to see a rule stating that posting "BITCOIN CRASH, SELL NOW !!1!1"-threads is considered spamming and results in immediate account termination and thread deletion.

It's kind of funny when you see it for the first time ... but ... it gets old immediately afterwards. Not something I feel I would have particularly missed.
Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:13:36 AM

Kind of starting to go with "yes", now... Sad

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:29:27 AM

I don't mind not having circuit breakers on the exchanges, but maybe we could temporarily halt the creations of new accounts anytime btc rises or falls more than 30% in 24 hours Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: