Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:53:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shall I hold or invest with %12.5 premium per year ?  (Read 5477 times)
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:42:10 PM

Hello all,

I've good sum of bitcoins, and they represent good sum as well in my local currency.

I was thinking about selling all my bitcoins, lock that fiat money in investing certificates in my bank where I get %12.5 premium per year and buy bitcoins every month (it will take some time to re-buy again all my bitcoins, but not that long, could be 1-2 years as I will include my fiat salary as well).

Or, shall I hold and keep holding ?

If you were me, what would you do and why ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:59:28 PM

It depends, how does that contract look like? 12.5% seems good... too good actually. Can you retire your funds at any time or do you need to stay with them whatever happens? I just can't trust long term fiat investments anymore. How many BTC you got?
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:02:51 PM

It depends, how does that contract look like? 12.5% seems good... too good actually. Can you retire your funds at any time or do you need to stay with them whatever happens? I just can't trust long term fiat investments anymore. How many BTC you got?

I can retire the funds after it pass the 6 months freeze period.

The investment is by my local bank here, so it's 101% safe. Even if the bank went broke, the government will must pay us and this is like nearly so difficult nowadays as our economic status is good.

Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 11:09:57 PM

I think it comes down to your outlook for bitcoin price over the next year or so. If your analysis leads you to believe bitcoin price will continue to appreciate at a rate greater than 12.5% per year why sell? Now if it is a question of diversification and you feel too much of your capital is tied up in bitcoin I could understand selling a portion now to diversify into fiat or gold, and pay down debt or mortgages.

tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:14:24 PM

Hello all,

I've good sum of bitcoins, and they represent good sum as well in my local currency.

I was thinking about selling all my bitcoins, lock that fiat money in investing certificates in my bank where I get %12.5 premium per year and buy bitcoins every month (it will take some time to re-buy again all my bitcoins, but not that long, could be 1-2 years as I will include my fiat salary as well).

Thanks in advance.

If you feel the need to do something, do 50/50.
As you already have been a bitcoin buyer, you are presumably bullish on the price. What do you think Bitcoin will be trading at in a year's time?
What is your local currency and your national economic situation, and how do you see it developing over the short term?
12.5% is globally pretty high in these days of Central Bank money printing, a rate like that implies that there are inflationary aspects to your national economy or weakness in its currency.
It sounds good, but not if inflation eats it up.

The only country that comes to mind paying that is Egypt. I'd stay out of holding too many EGP atm.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:15:36 PM

I think it comes down to your outlook for bitcoin price over the next year or so. If your analysis leads you to believe bitcoin price will continue to appreciate at a rate greater than 12.5% per year why sell? Now if it is a question of diversification and you feel too much of your capital is tied up in bitcoin I could understand selling a portion now to diversify into fiat or gold, and pay down debt or mortgages.

My buddy, thanks for your reply.

To be honest, I want to invest my money.

As you know me well, I'm insanely permabull and I know that we can reach $50K and $100K in the coming 5-12 years.

But what I would like to do is the following,

Buy again my frozen BTC while enjoying guaranteed profit per month (%12.5 premium divided by 12 months). As I will buy all the sold BTC again with that profit PLUS my salary profit.

I don't want to diversify my portfolio nor I've any debt to pay.

AncilVTwo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:15:48 PM

lets see the current price is roughly 400 usd per bitcoin and i dont expect it to go over 550 by the end of the year, im guessing itll be around 500 so thats a 20% increase in value but theres a chance you take. with the 12.5% investment the profit is guranteed.
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:22:21 PM

If you feel the need to do something, do 50/50.
As you already have been a bitcoin buyer, you are presumably bullish on the price. What do you think Bitcoin will be trading at in a year's time?
What is your local currency and your national economic situation, and how do you see it developing over the short term?
12.5% is globally pretty high in these days of Central Bank money printing, a rate like that implies that there are inflationary aspects to your national economy or weakness in its currency.
It sounds good, but not if inflation eats it up.

The only country that comes to mind paying that is Egypt. I'd stay out of holding too many EGP atm.

You nearly nailed it, but no, I'm not from Egypt.

There is inflation in my country to be honest, and the currency while it's compared to USD, it's really weak.

But as I've mentioned earlier, I want to enjoy some good returns and I insist on buying all my bitcoins again.

I hate 50/50 thing, I would like to do it all in to be honest.

lets see the current price is roughly 400 usd per bitcoin and i dont expect it to go over 550 by the end of the year, im guessing itll be around 500 so thats a 20% increase in value but theres a chance you take. with the 12.5% investment the profit is guranteed.

Good two points here

1. The %12.5 is guaranteed.
2. I don't think we will spike that hard to $550 or $600, even if we will reach $600, I could compensate the difference easily.

tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:27:08 PM

Good luck whatever you decide, I would just point out the obvious and say that if your fiat inflation is say 10% then your real return is not 12.5%, but 2.5%.
Given your permabull stance, I would stick with Bitcoin personally. Moon, and all that. Smiley

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:39:29 PM

Good luck whatever you decide, I would just point out the obvious and say that if your fiat inflation is say 10% then your real return is not 12.5%, but 2.5%.
Given your permabull stance, I would stick with Bitcoin personally. Moon, and all that. Smiley

I totally understand you, but you've missed one or two points,

1. We can't be ultra sure that in a duration of 10-12 years by max. (the duration where I will be holding BTC), that we will not convert BTC to fiat, so we will be forced to use inflated money.
2. I will cover the BTC I've sold in 1-2 years max., so that inflation won't be that big in that duration.

I'm in a mind mess really.

I want a good investment opportunity.

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 11:47:46 PM

Where can you get a note paying 12.5%? Which bank? I might be interested.

If inflation is 10% per year we'll have much bigger problems to contend with!

CryptoGreek

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 11:50:52 PM

Dear Fakhoury, a word of advise:
Thousands of Greeks lost their savings, after the 2012 PSI haircut, which included their "super-duper-guaranteed " government-issued bonds.
There is no such thing as "100% Guaranteed", when banks and governments are involved.
Just HODL!  Grin
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 12:07:55 AM

Holding is my opinion, if you have the risk appetite.
Investing in Bank Certificates is safe, but you have the risk of missing out on huge bitcoin price movements.  Smiley
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:14:37 AM

Dear Fakhoury, a word of advise:
Thousands of Greeks lost their savings, after the 2012 PSI haircut, which included their "super-duper-guaranteed " government-issued bonds.
There is no such thing as "100% Guaranteed", when banks and governments are involved.
Just HODL!  Grin
Unfortunately Greeks recent history is not positive in terms of managing their national debt. It was not surprising that government reached out for money of their citizens to help itself.
If you are living in any country with similar problems and suspect that your national currency is not so stable, don't invest in it and don't keep it!
Also history of Cyprus and Greek show, that your money stored in banks are no longer fully yours...
romjpn

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:36:08 AM

Where can you get a note paying 12.5%? Which bank? I might be interested.

If inflation is 10% per year we'll have much bigger problems to contend with!

If your bank offer it, you can have an account in South African Rands for example, and get more (indexed on inflation). My Japanese bank offer that (I've never used it though). Because returns on JPY are ridiculously low.

---~~~***~~~--- http://InvestBitcoinGuide.com ---~~~***~~~---
Invest your bitcoins/altcoins into legit businesses. Get solid returns !
We hate scams and ponzis !
CryptoGreek

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 01:43:56 AM

Unfortunately Greeks recent history is not positive in terms of managing their national debt. It was not surprising that government reached out for money of their citizens to help itself.
If you are living in any country with similar problems and suspect that your national currency is not so stable, don't invest in it and don't keep it!

I see numerous comments about Greece in this forum, and the easy thing to say is that "Greeks didn't manage their debt".
The thing is, that you don't really know when the time comes where your country suddenly has a debt problem. Imagine living in a country with a 110% Debt/GDP ratio (a normal ratio nowadays), everything is fine, until one day some EU officials decide that your debt is a problem. And your country suddenly needs a bail-out. Things can go south very fast, if someone decides that your state debt is a problem.

Also history of Cyprus and Greek show, that your money stored in banks are no longer fully yours...
That's exactly what I described in my blog post earlier:
Are your money safe in a Greek bank? Think twice.
BitcoinBlackjack

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 04:18:58 AM

I would do just about anything for 12.5% a year! Seems too good to be true
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 06:02:53 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2015, 06:46:51 AM by n2004al

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

I will advice to sell only few of those Fakhoury. Or to not sell at all (better). That 12.5% you will earn from the investing in certificates will be easily surpassed by another "bubble" like this that happen this last week. The price of bitcoin rose 100% and drop only 50%. So you have (since today) 50% evaluation of your bitcoins only within one week. With to much probability it will be another one event like this (at least) with the halving (if everything goes as must go) and you if will sell your bitcoin you will find yourself with less bitcoin than before if the price of bitcoin will go at least over the 12.5% given by the investing certificates. Percentage which, with the behaviour of bitcoin, is very probable to happen without to much difficulty.

Anyhow can happen even the contrary. With bitcoin no one prediction and reason can be true. It is unpredictable. Now I see for example that the price of it is about 366 us dollar. So about 14-20 us dollar fewer than yesterday. If you sell now and the price goes more down you can earn even from the further drop of the actual price.

But if it were me I wouldn't sell nothing.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:21:32 AM

Loaning money to your bank is risky. You should instead be deciding which asset to buy -- gold, real estate, bitcoins, etc.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:50:23 AM

Do you need to put the money all at once? Otherwise you could use your monthly fiat income you would use to rebuy the bitcoin to put in that investment.

What country are you from? Sounds like a European one with the banking guarantee.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: