Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:09:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is escrow safe?  (Read 3223 times)
alva5763 (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:39:13 AM

Hello. I keep reading that members should use escrow when using paypal.  What stops buyer from a chargeback against the escrow and then escrow charge back against seller? I am looking to sell via paypal but do not want to risk chargeback. Virowox seems expensive to use although it is safe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 09:43:39 AM

Hello. I keep reading that members should use escrow when using paypal.  What stops buyer from a chargeback against the escrow and then escrow charge back against seller? I am looking to sell via paypal but do not want to risk chargeback. Virowox seems expensive to use although it is safe.

Even if you use an escrow for a Paypal deal, transaction can go sour since Paypal charge back can be filed up to 180 days from date of transaction if i'm not mistaken, unless escrows will release the item purchased using Paypal after the 180 day timeframe
canopus

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 10:09:41 AM

if any need escrow help, i can do it: i do it on REDDIT with my nick canopus11 6/6/10  over 400+ trades, 1,5 years, over 200.000.000 dogecoins trades
exdoge-paypal
paypal-exdoge

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogemarket/

now i can help with every excrow

HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 12:14:43 PM

Even if you use an escrow for a Paypal deal, transaction can go sour since Paypal charge back can be filed up to 180 days from date of transaction if i'm not mistaken, unless escrows will release the item purchased using Paypal after the 180 day timeframe

Paypal is the exception with escrow, same for CC etc.

In my belief it is fair to buy and sell with the same currency ie. BTC and use currency without a chargeback option. Even high recommend and verified paypal buyers can be quite hars if a product is not how they expected. In the past I sold some netflix accounts. Then they got a better deal and without communication iniated the charge back process

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 07:30:51 AM

again here, try coinimal they offer you to sell bitcoin for paypal, if you need to do the opposite, then you can do it here with a very legit escrow, with possibily no fee, there are some

but i would try coinimal first, because it is much faster then searching for the right escrow
Tstar
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

Decentralized Asset Management Platform

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 09:43:35 AM

If you are afraid of a chargeback then DO NOT use paypal! Simple and clean, don't use it. Even if everything goes well and you use an escrow you can still have a chargeback until the very last possible day.

███████████████████████████
████▄▀▀▀███████████████████
█████▄    ▀▀▀██████████████
██████▄▄       ▀▀▀█████████
███████▀██▄▄        ▀▀█████
████████   ▀▀▀      ▄██████
█████████▄▄       ▄████████
█████████  ▀▀   ▄██████████
██████████    ▄████████████
███████████ ▄██████████████
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄██████
███████████████████████████
.COOK.
     Decentralized Asset Management Platform     
│▐ █     WHITEPAPER   │   TWITTER   │   LINKEDIN   │   TELEGRAM     █ ▌│
          ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀█████▄▄
███████████████▄▄█▀██████

█████████████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████████
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀███████▀███▄█
█████████████████████▀███▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▀█████████████▀█████████▀▀▀
       ██ ▀█▀ ▄██
       ▀██▄ ▄███▀
        ▀▀████▀▀
✔  Accessible
✔  Secure
✔  Transparent
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

PayPal is only good method if you are dealing with known person or institution/service. Never use it if you are paying/buying something for the first time from random seller.
IF escrow has long history of successful trades, it is generally fine to think, he won't go rogue with all your coins, if he dealt with massive amount of money in the past without problems.
BitcoinMagician

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 10:31:55 AM

The escrow needs to hold the paypal money and BTC for 180 days. Before that, chargeback is highly probable. Risk can be reduced if you deal with trusted people on this forum. Paypal seller protection doesn't protect Bitcoin AFAIA.
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

If you are afraid of a chargeback then DO NOT use paypal! Simple and clean, don't use it. Even if everything goes well and you use an escrow you can still have a chargeback until the very last possible day.

Yes, try to avoid using paypal. Even with higher ranked members. Those accounts can be sold etc.

Argonne

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 07:59:06 PM

If you buy bitcoin with paypal, then there is little risk to you. But not many people want to sell the bitcoin to you in that way.
chanlance

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 12:29:44 AM

If you buy bitcoin with paypal, then there is little risk to you. But not many people want to sell the bitcoin to you in that way.
well with PayPal's charge backs and what not thats a huge risk.....you could always find safe ways to trade like skrill perfectmoney etc lets just do some research before we trade
achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 01:43:49 AM

Wow, you are all bad at answering the question!

Nothing stops the buyer from initiating a chargeback. The point of using an escrow for PayPal transactions is that the escrow holds the Bitcoin for the 180 days that the Paypal transaction can be charged back. Then, after that time, they release the funds to the respective members. If a chargeback is initiated, then the escrow will send the funds back to the seller and the deal doesn't go through. In that way, no one loses anything except time.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 11:32:30 PM

If you didn't misread then the advice was wrong. An escrow can't do anything against a chargeback. So he can only provide safety up to the point where the login was delieverd to the buyer and the coins were forwarded to the seller.

I you want to buy paypal then there are a ocuple of exchanger on BCT that sell paypal. Some of them are highly trusted so the risk is way lower.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:41:41 PM

I don't see why any escrow in their right mind would have anything to do with Paypal. Leave it to the companies to worry about.
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 04:45:47 AM

Don't know where you read it but most of the respected escrows here would simply won't escrow a deal which involves Paypal or other similar payment processors which can be charged back. AFAIK a Paypal payment can be charged back up-to 180 days after the payment and no escrow can cover you from that.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 08:16:22 AM

Unfortunately there is no way around this and reputable members usually won't escrow a PayPal transaction, you'll just have to sell to people you feel are trustworthy. From what I hear, it's harder for buyers to initiate a chargeback with Skrill, maybe you should look into it.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 03:23:47 PM

Unfortunately there is no way around this and reputable members usually won't escrow a PayPal transaction, you'll just have to sell to people you feel are trustworthy. From what I hear, it's harder for buyers to initiate a chargeback with Skrill, maybe you should look into it.

I would not bet on this. As far as i read skrill is not much different with the risks than paypal. The same goes for any kind of coupon code. They can always claim their code was stolen at the end. If you don't know about these things then there are traps everywhere for you.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
GannickusX

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 04:53:17 PM

Just dont use paypal, if you have paypal you must have a bank account too, just use exchanges that accept your bank and thats it, easy and safe.
WaterSupply

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 12:02:33 PM

Hello

You should avoid using Paypal to buy Bitcoins.

Paypal is quite high risk for sellers, as people can start a chargeback many many months saying it is fraud. In this situation Paypal nearly ALWAYS agrees with the buyer and it is the seller who loses out. Paypal is reversible, same as Credit card.

If you really ant to buy coins with paypal, you should check out the following:

http://www.plusbitcoin.net/buy-bitcoins-with-credit-card/

Cheers
Bettwarm

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 12:53:38 PM

sebastianju is widely used for an escrow service I recommend him this time

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1102721.0

But I think he only deal with high value trades now. If you have lower value trades, you have to select other people in the forum.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: