Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy low or sell high. What is better?  (Read 5574 times)
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 08:47:39 PM

Since I know nothing about investing I would say I want to be able to purchase at the guaranteed low price of the day because when it comes to btc vs fiat in the long haul I'd rather have more bitcoin in my wallet then fiat in my pocket.

eh that's the problem there is no way to kown what the guaranteed low price will be, there is no guaranteed low price, otherwise everyone would be rich or everyone would end up with 0 in profit

This exactly! This is very hard to know and in the Bitcoin world I would even say impossible to know. It all comes down to pure guessing! With Bitcoin, very often everything is upside down!

If you would have read the original post I have a genie that grants me the ability to know 100% what the minimum or maximum for the day will be. I was just answering OPs question. If I could have one or the other I would choose the minimum. Of course you can't know what the minimum or maximum will be, but thanks for stating the obvoius Grin Wink

Since I know nothing about investing I would say I want to be able to purchase at the guaranteed low price of the day because when it comes to btc vs fiat in the long haul I'd rather have more bitcoin in my wallet then fiat in my pocket.

eh that's the problem there is no way to kown what the guaranteed low price will be, there is no guaranteed low price, otherwise everyone would be rich or everyone would end up with 0 in profit
But that's what the thread is all about. It's just a thought experiment.

Ooops haha thanks for pointing it out

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoDatabase
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1003

https://cryptodatabase.net

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 08:49:54 PM

But you can buy high and sell higher, or sell low and buy lower also.

Didn't read the thread so I have no idea if this was pointed out earlier or not.

Either way you write it you are still buying for less and selling for more if you get a return on your investment so the question is really null and void.
maokoto (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 10:13:09 PM

Didn't read the thread so I have no idea if this was pointed out earlier or not.

Either way you write it you are still buying for less and selling for more if you get a return on your investment so the question is really null and void.

Question did not pretend to be very trandescent. Just... if you have a superpower to choose from, Which one will you prefer?

A) To be able to always guess daily max (ability to sell high)

B) To be able to always guess daily min (ability to buy low)

Which one will you choose and why?

There have been lots of interesting responses discussing about this IMO. Smiley.

CryptoDatabase
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 11:06:38 PM

Question did not pretend to be very trandescent. Just... if you have a superpower to choose from, Which one will you prefer?

There have been lots of interesting responses discussing about this IMO. Smiley.

Well, assuming that you would know that a coin would be at $100 in the morning and $200 at night then I would buy low and then sell it for higher when the price meets the daily high.

Limiting it to only one day makes it tougher as Day 2 the Daily Min might be the Daily Max for the previous day and it would be a lost opportunity.

To add a realistic example,

Coin A is at 0.00000099 and you know someone is going to crash it down that day then you would want to sell it as soon as possible and then rebuy again when it gets lower.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 09:49:51 AM

Well, assuming that you would know that a coin would be at $100 in the morning and $200 at night then I would buy low and then sell it for higher when the price meets the daily high.

Limiting it to only one day makes it tougher as Day 2 the Daily Min might be the Daily Max for the previous day and it would be a lost opportunity.

Coin A is at 0.00000099 and you know someone is going to crash it down that day then you would want to sell it as soon as possible and then rebuy again when it gets lower.

But you can only pick one, you cant know the low and the high at the same time. Of course if you knew both you would be a millionaire by now.

I don't think there is much difference between able to guess the high or the low.
kyrios_

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

But you can only pick one, you cant know the low and the high at the same time. Of course if you knew both you would be a millionaire by now.

I don't think there is much difference between able to guess the high or the low.

wait so you don't sell at all or...? so if you know the low and you buy but you don't know the high so you can't sell the high?
CryptoDatabase
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 07:45:08 PM

Sorry, missed this.

If you know the daily low then you know it will be going higher. The only unknown variable is at what point will it reach the high or low.

Lets say you wake up at 10 AM and it hits you that HTML5coin is going to skyrocket up to 0.00001000 LTC per HTML5 and the price is currently at 0.00000100 then you would make the decision to go ahead and buy up as much as you can in order to sell it for higher later on.

But, it could work the other way around. The highest price may be at 10 AM and it just gets lower throughout the day which wouldn't be any good at all to know.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 10:08:26 PM

wait so you don't sell at all or...? so if you know the low and you buy but you don't know the high so you can't sell the high?

ehm, no. You just know one, either low or high. If you know the low you can sell when the price is higher because you know what the lowest is but you can't fully profit from it because you don't know what the highest will be. In the end you will profit the same using either of the options.
kyrios_

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 05:46:27 AM

ohh I see I see. I'll prefer selling high. just a personal preference to know how much I'll earn if I buy now and sell later at the high
PAKYU

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:52:30 AM

I prefer sell high. Buy everywhere. I mean buy at anyprice.
rychallenge

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:09:47 AM

sell high...
why would you want to buy low and still lose if it continues declining? sell high and get it over with. No risk, you come out on top
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:00:26 AM

sell high...
why would you want to buy low and still lose if it continues declining? sell high and get it over with. No risk, you come out on top

if you buy low and it is still going down, then you can buy all the way down. the price will go up eventually. that's why you must never go all in. always keep fiat ready to buy more coins with. that's how i do it.
adicted

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 02:15:58 PM

Personally I prefer selling high at maximum, on that note I can earn my max profit I can get Cheesy I dont think there will be a guaranteed profit if ever I bought low, price may crash anytime.
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:01:17 PM

Personally I prefer selling high at maximum, on that note I can earn my max profit I can get Cheesy I dont think there will be a guaranteed profit if ever I bought low, price may crash anytime.

Buying low is not guarantee of profit, selling high is cashed in profit.. so duh Selling high. I don't even need to be at the top point,i am not that greedy, 90% is ok for me;)

LuckyYOU

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:26:28 PM

Selling high offcourse.

The problem with is that you never know when the ultimate top has been reached. When buying low you are sure it will go high (as long if you can be sure offcourse).

blackmachinegun

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:59:16 PM

Buy low and sell high is the first rule of trading.

By selling highest you get the advantage of selling with a profit even when you have bought also high. By buying real low, you get the profit of not having to sell at a certain margin. You can wait till profit goes really really high.

Lets say a genie gave you the ability either to sell at the daily maximum or to buy at the daily minimum. What will you choose?

i'm a bad trader,can you recomend me a software like meta trader 4,its also avaliable for bitcoin? Grin i think it will good for me..
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 02:20:04 AM

Buy high, sell low, since BTC is tanking more than rallying.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
zidane

Activity: 938
Merit: 517

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:22:06 AM

buy low, because maybe i'll use it to have fun in playing some gambling lol
bitmarket.net

Activity: 323

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 10:35:53 AM

It is said sometimes with the reference to the stock markets that the market takes the stairs on the way up and the elevator on the way down (meaning the up moves tend to be slower and taking longer then the down moves).

Looking at the bitcoin chart for the last 12 months, the same seems to be the case with bitcoin.

BitMarket.net- Europe's most advanced cryptocurrency exchange
Iceborn

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:44:16 PM

I would buy at the minimum

Because then I would have the option to sell whenever at whatever price

That's how you can make profits
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: