Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:21:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you still keep a fiat retirement account?  (Read 6133 times)
BitcoinBullion (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 11:26:04 PM

If you are a true believer that be dollar and other fiats are doomed should you then cash out your fiat retirement account for btc, metals or real estate?

I have a Roth IRA with some money in it and I am debating on if I should liquidate that or keep contributing to it for the next 30 years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 11:53:56 PM

Savings account, yes. Retirement, no. I seriously doubt retirement will look anything like it does today and those who are young now won't be able to fund 3-4 decades of sitting on their arse and rotting, let alone their governments. It'll be straight into the dog food mincer for most of us.
muna

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 12:17:38 AM

In my country it is impossible (withdraw retirement savings). But if I could do that, probably would leave them where they are as an additional form of security for future.
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:39:46 AM

Dollars is not my fiat where I live so... I still use fiat yes. Also bitcoin is not yet widely known here in my country thus bitcoin is not accepted anywhere so I can't use it withoit convertig to fiat. If wver there is a chance where my country will start accepting bitcoin as a whole then I will likely turn my savings all in bitcoin and just use bitcoin for good. I think that's impossible tho, not now atleast.
ajrah

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:51:03 AM

fiat will always be there as this is the most accepted and most likely I'll be saving some in the bank as time deposit.
I invested some of my earnings in pension plans I just hope that the company will not shut down when I'm on my retirement age.

Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:54:37 AM

If you are a true believer that be dollar and other fiats are doomed should you then cash out your fiat retirement account for btc, metals or real estate?

I have a Roth IRA with some money in it and I am debating on if I should liquidate that or keep contributing to it for the next 30 years.
i dont believe fiat currency is doomed, though i do believe bitcoin is an outstanding currency.

i currently have a savings account in fiat where i keep most of my money and a paper wallet for btc where i keep ~90% of my coins. i like to be split between both fiat and btc.
romjpn

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:56:16 AM

I the pay the retire thing here in Japan. I really don't know what to think as my country, France have quite a high birth rate so maybe all those kids will be able to pay (Japan and France have an agreement). But if I was Japanese, unless society takes a radical turn and leave most of the work to the robots, I think I would hesitate much more to pay.
At least I can cash out a percentage if I go back home. Already more than 3000$ paid so far Roll Eyes.

---~~~***~~~--- http://InvestBitcoinGuide.com ---~~~***~~~---
Invest your bitcoins/altcoins into legit businesses. Get solid returns !
We hate scams and ponzis !
AncilVTwo

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:57:24 AM

i dont own a retirement account lol, thats like hiding money for future use, why not just invest it so your money earns you money.
jakelyson
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:57:32 AM

I have emergency account, savings account and payroll account in banks. My retirement funds is in form of investments thru mutual funds and stocks. Even if I believe that fiats are doomed, I think it is still wise to keep some just in case.
ajrah

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:59:34 AM

Savings account, yes. Retirement, no. I seriously doubt retirement will look anything like it does today and those who are young now won't be able to fund 3-4 decades of sitting on their arse and rotting, let alone their governments. It'll be straight into the dog food mincer for most of us.
Yes I agree with this, if you took an insurance or a pension plan 10 years ago, the value now of the money promised to be paid after 10 years is relatively low. But it's still a good option to invest on your retirement so at least when you reached your retirement age you still have something to pull out from your pocket.

BitcoinBullion (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:18:18 AM

Some of you missed my point. I am not talking about keeping fiat savings or surplus money, I am talking about a fiat retirement account like a Roth Ira where you fund it with dollars for 30 years then access it when you are over 60 years old.
vodaljepa

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 02:31:52 AM

Yes I do because you never know if you will need it

Hottest Girls On Webcam Naked - Naughty Cams
Greenenergy

Activity: 441

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:09:41 AM

Why not? I will have one what others have. When the time comes, I will have money to spend as others. Besides that, I will put portion of my money to do the investment like cryptocoins.
maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 03:15:09 AM

Young people now will have to work longer. Fortunately, we can work through the internet, which is not very hard physically.

No fiat retirement account for me either, nor Bitcoin. Just earn a bit to live and try to save a little.

DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:17:55 AM

I absolutely keep a retirement account.  It scares the hell out of me when you hear facts like 60% of American's don't even have $1000 saved, much less a retirement account.  My employer makes contributions into it as well, so why wouldn't I have one? Assuming bitcoin continues to take off, I would hope that my fund managers would invest in bitcoin and I could reap the rewards, and if it fails, then I have my retirement money to fall back on.

Currently at the age of 26, I am estimating needing close to 6 to 7 million to retire properly at age 65.  Long way to go, but that's why you start it now, so you have time to let it compound.  Also that's minimum, I would eventually like to buy a condo in Hawaii and Myrtle Beach.  That is an extra 2.5M and 500k respectively.  That seems like a large amount of money, but I plan to be a millionaire by the time I am 40 by continuously maxing out my Roth IRA contributions and then pouring the excess into my 401K.  If you can learn to live without needing that money, it is really easy to save and you never even know its not getting paid to you.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:26:05 AM

I absolutely keep a retirement account.  It scares the hell out of me when you hear facts like 60% of American's don't even have $1000 saved, much less a retirement account.  

I applaud your thoroughness. You may want to look into never getting married. If it went tits up that may throw a giant spanner in your plans.
BitcoinBullion (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:42:42 AM

I absolutely keep a retirement account.  It scares the hell out of me when you hear facts like 60% of American's don't even have $1000 saved, much less a retirement account.  My employer makes contributions into it as well, so why wouldn't I have one? Assuming bitcoin continues to take off, I would hope that my fund managers would invest in bitcoin and I could reap the rewards, and if it fails, then I have my retirement money to fall back on.

Currently at the age of 26, I am estimating needing close to 6 to 7 million to retire properly at age 65.  Long way to go, but that's why you start it now, so you have time to let it compound.  Also that's minimum, I would eventually like to buy a condo in Hawaii and Myrtle Beach.  That is an extra 2.5M and 500k respectively.  That seems like a large amount of money, but I plan to be a millionaire by the time I am 40 by continuously maxing out my Roth IRA contributions and then pouring the excess into my 401K.  If you can learn to live without needing that money, it is really easy to save and you never even know its not getting paid to you.

My Roth if maxed out from now till Im 60 would only get my $650k.  I would rather use the money to buy real estate.  I guess your plan is to just do it all?  I kind of like that, guess I could keep my Roth as a supplemental plan to my overall wealth building strategy.  Just wondering if the $5500 a year would be better off elsewhere.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:52:03 AM

My Roth if maxed out from now till Im 60 would only get my $650k.  I would rather use the money to buy real estate.  I guess your plan is to just do it all?  I kind of like that, guess I could keep my Roth as a supplemental plan to my overall wealth building strategy.  Just wondering if the $5500 a year would be better off elsewhere.

You must be around 37 to 38 then?  I thought about that and it seemed off, but that makes sense if your older.  Just 5500 a year with 8% interest puts me at 1.6M at 65.  Not a bad start. I don't have time to manage real estate unfortunately.  I also don't have the skills to do regular maintenance unfortunately as well.  I would love to own real estate and rent out units, but I just don't have the necessary skills to maintain the units.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
BitcoinBullion (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 04:04:40 AM

I am 30.  That was based on 30 years from now at 7% with 10k already in there.  My main concern is a financial crisis or some sort of bail in, I just dont feel secure having it all tied up in the stock market. Also by the time I am ready to cash out the dollar will be massively devalued from what it is today.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 05:32:06 AM

the main thing to ask yourself..
in the 1980's you could buy a loaf of bread for 50c.. today it's $2
in the 1980's you could buy gallon of gasoline for $1.20c.. today it's $4~
ref: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/70yearsofpricechange.html

so $2.00 thirty years ago would have bought you, 4 loaves of bread.. today.. just 1..

imagine what your money today will buy you in 2045..
quarter of a loaf?, just one slice?

so is storing $260,000 today worth it.. when you would only get about $65k of todays buying power.
now if you think that is scary, research the zimbabwe dollar.. and you will see the worst case scenario
(1980) 500 ZWD bought 3 loaves of bread
(2007) 30000ZWD bought 1 loaf of bread

people think that instead of just storing funds for retirement is bad and thus they put them into investment funds.. letting some stranger
in wallstreet trade your funds in the hope of atleast 5% yearly profit.. to keep ahead of inflation.. but the problem isnt that $260k might still be $260k in
30 years.. it might actually be $0.. as there is risks you can lose the lot..

and thus
its better to put atleast some of those funds into deflationary investments.. bitcoin, gold, real estate, etc.. to protect you against inflation..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: