Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:14:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you still keep a fiat retirement account?  (Read 6133 times)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 02:42:23 AM

I absolutely keep a retirement account.  It scares the hell out of me when you hear facts like 60% of American's don't even have $1000 saved, much less a retirement account.  My employer makes contributions into it as well, so why wouldn't I have one? Assuming bitcoin continues to take off, I would hope that my fund managers would invest in bitcoin and I could reap the rewards, and if it fails, then I have my retirement money to fall back on.

Currently at the age of 26, I am estimating needing close to 6 to 7 million to retire properly at age 65.  Long way to go, but that's why you start it now, so you have time to let it compound.  Also that's minimum, I would eventually like to buy a condo in Hawaii and Myrtle Beach.  That is an extra 2.5M and 500k respectively.  That seems like a large amount of money, but I plan to be a millionaire by the time I am 40 by continuously maxing out my Roth IRA contributions and then pouring the excess into my 401K.  If you can learn to live without needing that money, it is really easy to save and you never even know its not getting paid to you.

I used to live in South Carolina, and I can go ahead and tell you that you don't want to move to Myrtle Beach.  Go look into Beaufort, SC or better yet (my personal favorite) Bald Head Island, NC ; it's literally a paradise out there, and the investment in land will probably sky rocket as time goes on.  Just thought I should go ahead and give you a heads up.  Myrtle Beach is now nothing but a bunch of "yankees" (lol) that have taken over the area and is just not enjoyable because of all the people.

Getting back on topic though, I'm just now becoming an "adult" and getting through an internship for an actual job.  I would like to have the option (and I'm really thinking about doing this my self) to put my retirement savings into gold and precious metals because of the stability of price/demand no matter the inflation rate of fiat.  Am I crazy for thinking this way?  Should I just stake up everything in a 41K?  I'm still unsure about everything, and I don't think it's necessarily smart to put your investments ALL in bitcoin and gold... but I would like to have somewhat a good chunk of my investment in there.

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 05:28:33 AM

It is down to you what you can save and keep safe in precious metals, homes to hopefully become mortgage free and rely on nobody. I have savings but I would rather put into Bitcoin than put into retirement/pension that someone else controls and feeds from.
Even I know more options for my retirement planning like gold, real estate or bank deposit and saving or stock market investments or insurance I strongly believe only with the bitcoin to secure my life after retirement.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
gregyoung14

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 05:43:41 AM

It is down to you what you can save and keep safe in precious metals, homes to hopefully become mortgage free and rely on nobody. I have savings but I would rather put into Bitcoin than put into retirement/pension that someone else controls and feeds from.
Even I know more options for my retirement planning like gold, real estate or bank deposit and saving or stock market investments or insurance I strongly believe only with the bitcoin to secure my life after retirement.

Yep. Same here. There are a lot of investments out there. As the saying goes, dont put all your eggs in one basket. I personally have plans to go for gold and real estate. Given this, I will still never go of Bitcoin. I still have a feel that this would profit big sooner or later.
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 06:03:43 AM

Every major account that I am keeping is in fiat. Bitcoin is amazing in what it is but I think it's a big risk to put all your eggs in one basket.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 06:42:29 AM

of course i keep a fiat account.

there is this saying that goes "don't put all your eggs in one basket". i truly believe in that, so i have always tried to follow it. which means i invest in a couple of things.

so obviously i keep fiat account because we are still reliant on it, bitcoin, gold and a couple of other things just to stay safe and keep some valuable for a rainy day.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 07:10:19 AM

Spread the risk is the main point here. I would always keep part of my retirement funds in a fiat account. At the moment there is no choice anyway, unless you are self employed, you are building your retirement account and you can not withdraw it here.

Also, there are tax advantages related to this retirement fund. No tax is paid on the initial deposits and also no capital gains tax is required. You only pay tax at the moment the money is paid to you in the future.

Gold, bitcoin and a private fiat retirement savings account are all still subjected to taxation. Which hurts your coumpound interest efficiency.
Mr. Big
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1175

While my guitar gently weeps!!!

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:16:07 AM

My savings account is in fiat, my insurance  is also in fiat, and I think in my lifetime, cash/fiat will not be doomed, it might take time before money in this world become electronic..
LinaMay

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 08:27:25 AM

Everything I own is in, or from Fiat. There's nothing I can do right now because Bitcoin is still very much in its prime. Not enough people see it as money and this is the problem.
diegz

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 12:17:51 PM

since it is easier to use fiat in our locality, I will be staying with fiat, I am just starting out my future so might still consider bitcoin as part of my savings when I am already working...

Kollor

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 01:14:15 PM

I am still keeping my money in fiat, I am paying my debts with it, and my bills, I don't see any danger with it yet.. though I am thinking to invest  my salary in bitcoin,  I am still thinking that it is easier to use fiat when buying physical goods,

the era of fiat might end but I think not really this day or the coming years, it  could probably be not in this lifetime...
blackbird307

Activity: 238

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 01:20:25 PM

It's not a good idea to give up on fiat right now. Maybe if bitcoin would become more popular. But for the moment fiat is in the lead.

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:07:02 PM

I own no retirement accounts, the only savings I have are bitcoin. sad..  Cry
But all I'm having for my retirement is only bitcoin. Because I'm not ready to believe fiats and banking system for my retirement while I'm having the freedom ie bitcoin.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:20:17 PM

I absolutely keep a retirement account.  It scares the hell out of me when you hear facts like 60% of American's don't even have $1000 saved, much less a retirement account.  My employer makes contributions into it as well, so why wouldn't I have one? Assuming bitcoin continues to take off, I would hope that my fund managers would invest in bitcoin and I could reap the rewards, and if it fails, then I have my retirement money to fall back on.

Currently at the age of 26, I am estimating needing close to 6 to 7 million to retire properly at age 65.  Long way to go, but that's why you start it now, so you have time to let it compound.  Also that's minimum, I would eventually like to buy a condo in Hawaii and Myrtle Beach.  That is an extra 2.5M and 500k respectively.  That seems like a large amount of money, but I plan to be a millionaire by the time I am 40 by continuously maxing out my Roth IRA contributions and then pouring the excess into my 401K.  If you can learn to live without needing that money, it is really easy to save and you never even know its not getting paid to you.

I used to live in South Carolina, and I can go ahead and tell you that you don't want to move to Myrtle Beach.  Go look into Beaufort, SC or better yet (my personal favorite) Bald Head Island, NC ; it's literally a paradise out there, and the investment in land will probably sky rocket as time goes on.  Just thought I should go ahead and give you a heads up.  Myrtle Beach is now nothing but a bunch of "yankees" (lol) that have taken over the area and is just not enjoyable because of all the people.

Getting back on topic though, I'm just now becoming an "adult" and getting through an internship for an actual job.  I would like to have the option (and I'm really thinking about doing this my self) to put my retirement savings into gold and precious metals because of the stability of price/demand no matter the inflation rate of fiat.  Am I crazy for thinking this way?  Should I just stake up everything in a 41K?  I'm still unsure about everything, and I don't think it's necessarily smart to put your investments ALL in bitcoin and gold... but I would like to have somewhat a good chunk of my investment in there.

Thanks for the advice.

Do not put all your retirement money in gold or other precious metals.  You will not get anywhere the return you need from those to retire comfortably.  I assume your young, which means you have a ton of time to build your retirement which is your advantage.  Put as much as you can into mutual funds in your 401k that are designed to mirror the market.  You should get around 7 to 8% return a year, which means that every dollar you put in today, will double every 8 years.  Ill do some math to show the power of compounding interest.

Over the first 4 years of my career, I was able to save $32,000 into my retirement account, and I am currently 27.  That means I have roughly 5 doubling periods ((65-27)/8) (assuming a retirement age of 65) with that money.  If I add nothing else and just let that money sit in the stock market, I should have around 1,024,000 by the time I retire.

That shows the power of compounding interest, but the take away is put as much as you can as early as you can, and you'll thank yourself later.  By April, I plan to have 30% of my wife's and my income going into our 401k.  It would be 10 to 15% more, but her parents left her with over 90k in student loan debt we need to take care of first, but then you better believe we are ramping it up higher.  Plus, if you just start putting that in and learn to live without even thinking you have access to another couple hundred a month, it is very easy to do.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
reputedchain

Activity: 164

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:45:16 PM

I own no retirement accounts, the only savings I have are bitcoin. sad..  Cry
But all I'm having for my retirement is only bitcoin. Because I'm not ready to believe fiats and banking system for my retirement while I'm having the freedom ie bitcoin.

How can you be that sure that bitcoin will survive that long? I mean anything is possible with bitcoin, either it reaches on mainstream or get replaced by some other currency, nothing is guaranteed in long run.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
jkrules

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:46:22 PM

It's not a good idea to give up on fiat right now. Maybe if bitcoin would become more popular. But for the moment fiat is in the lead.

Not about popularity dude. Its bitcoin can comes to us in future with big value So we can male big profit from If you start invest on it as much you can now. then That time bitcoin will be mostly using currency for the world.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 08:54:39 PM

TAX & redemption payments will be in fiat, I hope  Roll Eyes

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
Bemerand

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 08:56:44 PM

I have a pension plan, that invests in the shares and bonds. I will keep that. In the mean while, I will also buy some bitcoins.

88.36255237114% of all ICO's are SCAMS
Laosai

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 09:05:26 PM

I have a pension plan, that invests in the shares and bonds. I will keep that. In the mean while, I will also buy some bitcoins.

You should do it yourself you know :/

n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2016, 09:39:25 PM

Most people use fiat account in the business as well as for owning properties. Certain Asian countries having tax restrictions based on the yearly income. In such cases fiat can be easily captured. For this they use several fiat accounts with loss statements.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
jokerrj

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 20, 2016, 09:46:15 PM

People who are into bitcoins would surely wants to get rid of fiat accounts, but depending only on bitcoins would be a risky so its better that we have both as an retirement accounts.

Looking for a long term signature campaign. Pm me
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: