Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:57:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase is overstepping the bounds we should give it regarding Bitcoin XT  (Read 6604 times)
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 10:31:13 AM

The block size needs increasing substantially over the next few years to be suitable for increased transactions. How will we achieve that is open to debate. It also depends on the state of the art computer technology.

I have no problem with that. So let's find a consensus between 1MB and 8MB (I'm fine with every value within those bounds the users select). If we see that this new limit is reached we decide again.

If you want an automatic increase to 8GB, just fork bitcoin! I will not follow your fork.

Your view about regular manual increases as becomes necessary is the same as mine, hoewer in situation where small group blocking any increase at all, Im afraid consensus is impossible here. The longer the status quo of 1MB is keept, the less faith I have a consensus is possible here and any solution like XT is better than waiting for impossible to happen (consensus with those defending 1MB).

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 10:40:38 AM

Your view about regular manual increases as becomes necessary is the same as mine, hoewer in situation where small group blocking any increase at all, Im afraid consensus is impossible here. The longer the status quo of 1MB is keept, the less faith I have a consensus is possible here and any solution like XT is better than waiting for impossible to happen (consensus with those defending 1MB).

There is no small group blocking any increase at all (not at least amongst the core developers) and there is going to be another meetup next month to further discussions about increasing the block size.

The XT shills just keep ignoring reality and shouting "we need to change and put Mike Hearn in charge ASAP" because that is what they have been told (or paid) to say.

Well - sorry guys - but your rubbish "urgent action required now" mantra is simply not working and most Bitcoin professionals and enthusiasts really don't want Mike Hearn to become the CEO of Bitcoin.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Cuidler

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 12:41:22 PM

There is no small group blocking any increase at all (not at least amongst the core developers) and there is going to be another meetup next month to further discussions about increasing the block size.

So at least you will see yourselves next month whether rational decision like increasing to 2MB soon and reevaluating the sitation in about one year whether another increase is required based on how much the blocks are filled up, or whether the discussion will lead to no consensus again (basically blocked situation in favour to the 1MB supporteers).

I bet no decsion will be made and you will still keep saying there is no small group blocking any increase at all.

....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 12:43:22 PM

I bet no decsion will be made and you will still keep saying there is no small group blocking any increase at all.

How much would you like to bet?

(my guess is not much)

If you'd like to "put your BTC where your mouth is" then I'll take on a bet with you (say 1 BTC which would need to be sent to a trusted escrow).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Cuidler

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 12:59:53 PM

How much would you like to bet?

(my guess is not much)

If you'd like to "put your BTC where your mouth is" then I'll take on a bet with you (say 1 BTC which would need to be sent to a trusted escrow).

Im not dumb enought to bet on what you will be saying next month or tommorow. And about the first part, I guess you might have much better knowledge about the developers stance on the matter thus Im not going to bet as well, at least your reply gives bit hope my scepticism might be unjustificable here. We will see anyway.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 01:45:29 PM

So at least you will see yourselves next month whether rational decision like increasing to 2MB soon and reevaluating the sitation in about one year whether another increase is required based on how much the blocks are filled up, or whether the discussion will lead to no consensus again (basically blocked situation in favour to the 1MB supporteers).

this conference is about SCALING bitcoin.

please stop confusing blocksize as an efficient way to improve bitcoin's scalability.
danielW

Activity: 277

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:19:40 AM

Is the recent fall partly due to coinbase CEO plan to push through XT contentious fork and change leadership team of reference client?

Certainly we had a previous fall from 280 -> 220 right after XT was announced. There was no doubt then.

Its more ambiguous now because the fall was preceded by a very quick run up. Yet It occurred immediately when the story about Coinbase trying to push contentious fork started spreading, and a raise in threads and discussion about XT. The fall was very rapid.

It seems that the potential progress with XT is badly judged by market.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:48:46 AM

Is the recent fall partly due to coinbase CEO plan to push through XT contentious fork and change leadership team of reference client?

Certainly we had a previous fall from 280 -> 220 right after XT was announced. There was no doubt then.

Its more ambiguous now because the fall was preceded by a very quick run up. Yet It occurred immediately when the story about Coinbase trying to push contentious fork started spreading, and a raise in threads and discussion about XT. The fall was very rapid.

LOL are you that stupid?

This is how stupid some of the antiXT idiots can be.

Here is the hint, 44,000 btc was auctioned recently. The number of registers are much lower than expect. Its more reasonable to say, the btc was auctioned at much lower price than the exchange rate.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 02:52:40 AM

Coinbase CEO comments certainly make a difference. No one should give a whit whether Coinbase runs their node on Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin XT. Only bitcoin miners decide if a hard fork will take place, Coinbase really has no say in the matter, but markets hate uncertainty, imagined or not.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:54:18 AM

I use Coinbase and i never heard of this. XT has very little support in term of hashrate, as such i don't really get what the point of the whole discussion is. I don't see what Coinbase actually has to do with this? Coinbase has no hashrate so whatever their political agenda would be, it is completely irrelevant.

In the first place, having bigger block means less tx fee, so i don't see how this benefit any companies or miners.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

"urgent action required now"

Sorry, Not Tonight Dear!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
danielW

Activity: 277

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2015, 03:33:29 PM by danielW

LOL are you that stupid?

This is how stupid some of the antiXT idiots can be.

Here is the hint, 44,000 btc was auctioned recently. The number of registers are much lower than expect. Its more reasonable to say, the btc was auctioned at much lower price than the exchange rate.

I don't think referring to me as stupid or using such poisonous language is productive.  

I have read XT people here complaining about ad hominems yet you just used ad hominems against me, but that does not matter.

What I find disgraceful is that:

... The first and most poisonous ad hominems were by the XT supporters against many of the core developers and supporters, who have contributed so much to Bitcoin (before it even existed!), privacy and decentralisation. They done this often for no or little financial reward.  They deserve some courtesy and respect, (as does Gavin).

Anyway I don't find what you say convincing at all for many reasons, I wont go into all of them. The auction occurred after crash. The auction was known before and should have been priced in. The price is not known. The price is itself a reflection of sentiment and value that would be impacted by XT fork possibility.

Pointing out a pattern of pro-XT news leading to price crashes is relevant. Sorry if you dont like hearing it, you dont have to call me stupid.
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 03:50:10 AM

I really think Coinbase is a great service, although they're pushing it a little too far with making a "new" bitcoin. I believe since Bitcoin is an open source currency, maybe we should have a thread on here requesting and arguing about some good features and changes that should be made to the current bitcoin, and a representative of the community compiles all the ideas together. Not some just-for-profit company. All they're doing is trying to make an alt-coin that is profitable toward them. Maybe Theymos should really ban all BTCXT supporters. I sure don't support them. I'm just here for the free tx fees Grin
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 04:03:21 AM

Sorry, Not Tonight Dear!

Do you normally quote people out of context to imply they said the exact opposite of what they actually said?

yanertan

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 04:43:12 AM

Bitcoin is effectively dead if we have been forced to change to XT, the dream is gone. We need a change that everyone agrees with that is simply made through consensus.If someone gives himself a right to track the way you spend your bitcoins.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 05:15:02 AM

Typical of corporations...  Like in everything else, they will ruin something and strangle everything we love about it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 06:52:44 AM

Sorry, Not Tonight Dear!

Do you normally quote people out of context to imply they said the exact opposite of what they actually said?

Do you normally assume the worst of other people's intentions/abilities?

I left your "I'm parodying XTurds" quote marks in.  Obviously, I'm joining in your pile-on, because it's fun to make fun of the Sore Loserman Gavinistas.

Please check the batteries in your humor detector!   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 07:02:42 AM

Please check the batteries in your humor detector!   Smiley

There is a reason why smileys were invented. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: