Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:42:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to make a (big) diamond?  (Read 3680 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2012, 01:21:56 PM by grondilu

This is a question that naggers me sometimes.  It's about diamonds.  Ever since I heard about Neil Stephenson's book "The diamond age" (Haven't read it yet, though), I keep wondering why we are not capable of making diamonds in a industrial way.

Some methods for making diamonds exist already.  Check out wikipedia if you don't know about them.

So why is the biggest known diamond on earth still a natural one??  What's so hard?

Also:  what about using a brute force method?   I mean, a diamond is made from carbon with pressures around 6GPa.  Fine, can't this be done without using explosives or stuff like that?  I mean, with a purely mechanical device?

6 GPa.  That's 6 GigaNewton per square meter.  That's about 600e6 kg weighting on the same surface.  That's 600 Kt  (Kilo metric ton).   One ton is a cubic meter of water.    So 6 GPa is the pressure at the bottom of a 600 kilometers deep ocean.  That's deep.

But I don't need a 1 meter-sized diamond.  I'd be happy with a 10cm one or so.  That's one hundred times smaller a surface than a square meter.  So I just need a 6 Km deep ocean, providing that I can manage to have a one square meter water column weight on a square decimeter one.

Hell I can reduce the height of the thing by an hundred factor if I use a wilder column.  So, a ten-meter per ten-meter section column need to be 6 Km / 100 = 60m height.

So here is my question:  isn't it possible to build a 10m x 10m x 60m pool (or a 11.27m radius spherical water tank) and have it weight on a 10cm x 10cm area?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 12:53:24 PM

I don't think anyone tried. There are no industrial applications to use big diamonds for that I'm aware of.
JohnBigheart

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 01:58:17 PM

Synthetic diamonds can be manufactured using the HPHT  (High Pressure High Temperature process):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPHT_diamond#High_pressure.2C_high_temperature

Because of the surface to volume ratio the HPHT presses don't scale well with size. Eventually the cost of the press will be more then the cost of the diamond produced.

World renowned expert on silly sketches and stupid gif animations.
Your tips are welcome: 17cETm8zDugFKuNQMprW6GgAFEpmrcPUA
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 04:51:02 PM

The "Diamonds" in The Diamond Age are more in the realm of carbon quasi-crystals. The way to go there is research into grapheme and nano-tubes, a much more interesting concept. Wink
From what I can tell, the difficulty is heat or the right amount of heat and pressure to enable the self-assimilation process of molecular structures.

Anyway I think we are far away from ever building a matter compiler, at least if the current scientific consensus in physics remains the way it is.

If you just wanna produce diamonds, there is no real limit to it's size except building a sufficiently large pressure chamber which is expensive to make (failure rate goes up the larger you make it)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 04:56:47 PM

The "Diamonds" in The Diamond Age are more in the realm of carbon quasi-crystals. The way to go there is research into grapheme and nano-tubes, a much more interesting concept. Wink
From what I can tell, the difficulty is heat or the right amount of heat and pressure to enable the self-assimilation process of molecular structures.

Anyway I think we are far away from ever building a matter compiler, at least if the current scientific consensus in physics remains the way it is.

If you just wanna produce diamonds, there is no real limit to it's size except building a sufficiently large pressure chamber which is expensive to make (failure rate goes up the larger you make it)

Solved!: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124443.0
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 10:03:07 PM

Because of the surface to volume ratio the HPHT presses don't scale well with size. Eventually the cost of the press will be more then the cost of the diamond produced.

And it is kind of like the question about why doesn't someone do a 51% attack to double spend bitcoins?   Because once you do that, the coins you got from double spending are no longer worth anything because you just destroyed the entire reason they had value.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 11:16:05 PM

And it is kind of like the question about why doesn't someone do a 51% attack to double spend bitcoins?   Because once you do that, the coins you got from double spending are no longer worth anything because you just destroyed the entire reason they had value.

Diamonds don't have value just because they are scarce.

Imagine you actually could make some as big as you want, and at will.  Would you refrain yourself from doing it?  I bet you wouldn't.  You'd make some because diamonds are cool and pretty.

Humans love to make things, regardless of whether it has value or not.  It just has to be fun, cool, or beautiful.  And because sometimes the value is not in the product, it's in the act of making it.

If someone could figure out a way of making a car-sized diamond, I'm pretty sure someone would actually do it.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 12:45:10 PM

Hell I can reduce the height of the thing by an hundred factor if I use a wilder column.  So, a ten-meter per ten-meter section column need to be 6 Km / 100 = 60m height.

This is not quite how pressure works. No matter how thin/thick your column is, the pressure at its bottom is still just a function of the height.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:39:44 PM

This is not quite how pressure works. No matter how thin/thick your column is, the pressure at its bottom is still just a function of the height.

The whole large column rests on a single very tight rod, with a 10cm x 10cm section.

Like this:
|                                |
|________    ________|
               |  |              
               |_|

But of course with a better shape (this one can't obviously support the weight)

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:49:46 PM

The whole large column rests on a single very tight rod, with a 10cm x 10cm section.

Like this:
|________    ________|
               |  |              
               |_|

That's still not how pressure works. The water underneath the plate supports the plate as well. Your diamond would have the same pressure as if it were just sitting under 60m of water. Now, if you made a 10mx10mx60m container of water like you described on the surface, you could get those kinds of pressures.

Question: What material will you use for your anvil that will allow you to compress carbon to those pressures without deforming?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:53:15 PM

Like this:
|________    ________|
               |  |              
               |_|

That's still not how pressure works. The water underneath the plate supports the plate as well. Your diamond would have the same pressure as if it were just sitting under 6km of water.

There is no water under the plate.  What I drew on the lower part is the steal rod.  But I guess I should have drawn this:

|__________________|
               |  |              
               |_|

Notice the separation.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:03:34 PM

Like this:
|________    ________|
               |  |              
               |_|

That's still not how pressure works. The water underneath the plate supports the plate as well. Your diamond would have the same pressure as if it were just sitting under 6km of water.

There is no water under the plate.  What I drew on the lower part is the steal rod.  But I guess I should have drawn this:

|__________________|
               |  |              
               |_|

Notice the separation.
So this structure is suspended in air?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:12:01 PM

No.  It rests on the rod.

Possibly inside a fixed structure that limits its motion to a vertical movement, though.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:15:46 PM

Possibly inside a fixed structure that limits its motion to a vertical movement, though.
It rests on the rod, but is this basically a huge cup filled with water on the surface, all surrounded by air, or is the entire thing underwater?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:24:28 PM

Do you realize that pressure depends only on the height of the water column right? Making it wider doesn't change anything

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:30:11 PM

Do you realize that pressure depends only on the height of the water column right?

Yes I do.  Please stop now.  I just use water to have a cheap large amount of mass.   Replace it in your mind by sand or stone bricks if you want.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:32:52 PM

Then why use

|__________________|
               |  |              
               |_|

if

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_|

is the same?

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:34:37 PM

Then why use

|__________________|
               |  |              
               |_|

if

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_|

is the same?

Because it is not the same.  In the first example all the water mass rests on the rod, and there is much more water mass.

We're just not talking about the same mechanical structure.  I'm talking about a rigid tank resting on a narrow rod.  You seem to be willing to talk about pressure on the bottom of a deep pool.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:40:34 PM

It rests on the rod, but is this basically a huge cup filled with water on the surface, all surrounded by air, or is the entire thing underwater?

It's just a water tank.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:43:55 PM

It's just a water tank.

Yes, then that should work. Out of curiosity, what materials will you build your 4"x4" rod out of that will support having 600,000,000kg on top of it?
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: