Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:07:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how long to transfer coins directly from the client?  (Read 2583 times)
DigitalAsh (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:45:22 AM

thread title pretty much says it, say I've had someone send me coins directly to my wallet, how long will it take to process?

This is the first time I've ever dealt with this and I had someone send me a few coins a few hours ago, am I just being impatient or is something wrong?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:54:40 AM

thread title pretty much says it, say I've had someone send me coins directly to my wallet, how long will it take to process?

This is the first time I've ever dealt with this and I had someone send me a few coins a few hours ago, am I just being impatient or is something wrong?

A couple of hours is pretty long.
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:00:07 AM

Usually not longer than an hour.  He may have scammed you.  Make sure your client shows connections.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Threshold

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:02:21 AM

So if I wanted to meet someone and trade cash for bitcoins in person, we'd have to sit around a coffee shop with wifi for an hour or so to confirm the transaction?

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:02:33 AM

You probably haven't downloaded the whole blockchain yet. Check on blockexplorer.com what the latest block number is.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:08:54 AM

You probably haven't downloaded the whole blockchain yet. Check on blockexplorer.com what the latest block number is.

You know, this would be an outstanding feature for the/a client to have.  How many questions like this does the board field per day? 
Terpie

Activity: 174

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:10:20 AM

So if I wanted to meet someone and trade cash for bitcoins in person, we'd have to sit around a coffee shop with wifi for an hour or so to confirm the transaction?

3rd party infrastructure is required for more immediate transactions, yes. Although it's as easy as exchanging between MyBitcoin accounts. But even then this is only necessary if you want to protect yourself from double spending.
Dude65535

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:11:24 AM

If a fee is payed you should see the first confirmation on average within 5-10 minutes. Often you will see the transaction before it goes into a block. How long you wait is simply a matter of how much you trust each other.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
Terpie

Activity: 174

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:12:24 AM

You know, this would be an outstanding feature for the/a client to have.  How many questions like this does the board field per day? 

Yea, the Bitcoin client and economy is very beta right now, so it's not very intuitive and user-friendly just yet. A lot of these issues are definitely being worked on however.
Threshold

Activity: 88

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:46:42 AM

If a fee is payed you should see the first confirmation on average within 5-10 minutes.

I thought fees were mandatory nowadays...  (but I'm new and could easily be mistaken)

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
DigitalAsh (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:39:09 AM

Thanks for replies everyone, I'm sure you have to answer questions like this all the time Tongue

No I didn't get scammed, I made a thread on another forum I use about tor/bitcoins and a member mentioned he bought around $300 worth of coins back when they were .70 , and was amazed when I told him how much the price had gone up. So I asked him to send me a coin so I could try a transaction and he offered to send a few, but I haven't recieved anything yet. I'm gonna try the blockchain thing but I'm guessing he may just not have ever sent them.
DigitalAsh (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:43:00 AM

Alright I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, do I download the "getblock" patch? Is that it or am I clicking the number or hash under latest blocks?
Dude65535

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:49:03 AM

the bitcoin client downloads the block chain from other users on its own. You can check your progress downloading it by comparing the number in the bottom right of your bitcoin software with the number of the latest block on blockexplorer.com.

DigitalAsh (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:02:00 AM

the bitcoin client downloads the block chain from other users on its own. You can check your progress downloading it by comparing the number in the bottom right of your bitcoin software with the number of the latest block on blockexplorer.com.

ahh ok, my bitcoin client says "128916" while the newest on blockexplorer is "128915"

edit: nvm they are both now 128916, so I'm guessing that means he never sent it lol
Dude65535

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:13:04 AM

Blockexplorer will normally appear to be 1 block behind because their counting starts at 0 rather than 1.

The last thing you can do is to check http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/ and search for the address the coins were supposed to be sent to. If it shows up there that means the transaction is still waiting to get into a block. Given how long it has been finding it there would mean a fee should have been attached but wasn't.

CoinMan

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:13:58 AM

ahh ok, my bitcoin client says "128916" while the newest on blockexplorer is "128915"

edit: nvm they are both now 128916, so I'm guessing that means he never sent it lol

Go to address book, receiving, click "new address", label it "bitcoin forum", click ok, then copy to clipboard and paste it here.  I'll send you .01 so you can see how it works Wink

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
sequence

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:01:09 AM

So I am also having an issue with a large delay in transferring bitcoins from Mt Gox to Bitcoin client. It has been over 2 hours with 1 connection and no change in block number Embarrassed. I wasn't having this problem two days ago. I hope my coins are not in limbo and lost somewhere!
DigitalAsh (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:13:04 AM

Go to address book, receiving, click "new address", label it "bitcoin forum", click ok, then copy to clipboard and paste it here.  I'll send you .01 so you can see how it works Wink

here ya go 17rHiuCV82iZCWcyDnkJzLGsNcfHCSWfBs

much appreciated Smiley
CoinMan

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:17:58 AM

here ya go 17rHiuCV82iZCWcyDnkJzLGsNcfHCSWfBs

much appreciated Smiley

Sent...you should see it in your transactions window in the bitcoin client no later than 10 minutes from now but probably sooner.

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
DigitalAsh (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:22:25 AM

wow that was fast

"1/unconfirmed"  Soo I'm gonna have to have a talk with this guy lol

thanks again, I'm glad I found this place Tongue , now all I need to do is get my computer out of the stone age and start mining!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: