Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:00:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What color PCB would you like the MoonLander to have?
Green
Red
Blue
Black
Yellow

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FutureBit MoonLander: A Modern and Efficient Scrypt USB Stick Miner!  (Read 30525 times)
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 10:25:17 PM

Well I got the SuperBpag hub.
First I connected it to the RPi2 and set the freq at 160.  The Moonlander ran for about 3 hrs at roughly 400 kh/s.  Then is started drifting out and finally going dead. I have tried all sorts of freq and adjustments and it will not run very long before slowing down and then going dead. I have adjusted the diff manually, tired several pools, (LiteCoinPool, LTCRabbit and Clevermining) also made sure there was lots of air from two different fans blowing over it. 
Just cannot keep them running solid for more than a couple hours to sometimes even 10 mins before it goes dead.

I then tried on the Cubieboard with the same results. Then I tested on a PC with the same issue.

Very strange.

Any suggestions to keep them live??

I ordered one of these it will be here tomorrow.  I will let you know how it works on the custom images for the RPi2 and A10 Cubieboard with Minera that CrazyGuy setup.

I believe my HUB isn't performing to what it says. I got the superbpag USB 3.0 Superspeed HUB,http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4X3DAA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00, and when I plug a moonlander in, it wont read on bfgminer. My computer will give the error "usb device not recognized the item has malfunctioned", I thought I received a destroyed miner, but when I connected my other two, it gave me the same error. I connected the miners directly into the computer and they all work.

Yet I'm having an issue of the speeds slowly decreasing and bfgminer 5.4 declaring it "SICK. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Should I increase the intensity?

Also to get multiple miners working at one time, should I run two instances of bfgminer each with its own config or can I put in the config to use two login information?

This is the hub I recommend. http://www.amazon.com/Superbpag-Portable-Charger-Transfer-Samsung/dp/B013OK10YM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41LaxmqTREL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0FW4KH14FP92J3MHA2XF

It has an internal really well constructed Powersupply, and is the only hub I found that can handle all 7 ports running full speed. The on you linked probably has an external crappy brick PSU which is probably not good enough.

For the "Sick" issue it probably means you have the difficulty set too high...so it takes forever for the stick to submit a share, so bfgminer "thinks" its sick. Remember these are low powered devices and most pools think you are connecting high speed ASICs to them and have stock high difficulties. Make sure you are using vardiff with low initial diff, or forcing a diff of under 100.

16 diff per stick is a good starting point. This will give a share every second or so.

aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 24, 2016, 10:34:18 PM

Well I got the SuperBpag hub.
First I connected it to the RPi2 and set the freq at 160.  The Moonlander ran for about 3 hrs at roughly 400 kh/s.  Then is started drifting out and finally going dead. I have tried all sorts of freq and adjustments and it will not run very long before slowing down and then going dead. I have adjusted the diff manually, tired several pools, (LiteCoinPool, LTCRabbit and Clevermining) also made sure there was lots of air from two different fans blowing over it. 
Just cannot keep them running solid for more than a couple hours to sometimes even 10 mins before it goes dead.

I then tried on the Cubieboard with the same results. Then I tested on a PC with the same issue.

Very strange.

Any suggestions to keep them live??

nope having the same problem.. i had ok results plugging the 3.0 hub into a 2.0 hub but after awhile they eventually go to 0.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:51:50 PM

Stop using USB 3.0.....

unless you are running them at stock speed of 104, you pretty much have to use a 3.0 hub.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:23:51 PM

Stop using USB 3.0.....
unless you are running them at stock speed of 104, you pretty much have to use a 3.0 hub.

Please elaborate.....

the only 2 hubs best known to work are the anker 10 port updated 60W and the superpbag 7 port 70W both are usb 3.0 hubs.

usb 2.0 is limited to 500mA, usb 3.0 is 900mA, the superpbag 7 port 70W hub can do 2000mA per port.
you would have a hard time running 4 or 5 of these usb sticks off a simple usb 2.0 hub.. im having a hard time running 4 of them off the superpbag they constantly need to be reset.

jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 04:34:50 PM

The eyeboots, even though they offer plenty of juice, are actually very poorly constructed at the hub/port level. They skipped out on proper USB protocol and EMI shielding, since they have so many USB ports. I would not recommend them for this stick.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
notabeliever

Activity: 724
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 01:52:12 AM

Look everyone I was too cheap on buying a hub and used everything I had all ready. (usb ports 1.1 and 2.0)

However I finally bought the 7 port plugable hub and it just works for everything. No need for drivers plug it in and the futurebit sticks in and start hashing.

My 3 sticks at stock settings from jstefanop's bfgminer get a total of 1.5 mhs on a plugable hub. I can mine anything scrypt including LTC with  F2pool or Goldcoin etc.
Don't be cheap buy this hub from newegg if you have too its worth it also for compacts too.

Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XB38X7298
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 02:12:13 AM

Look everyone I was too cheap on buying a hub and used everything I had all ready. (usb ports 1.1 and 2.0)

However I finally bought the 7 port plugable hub and it just works for everything. No need for drivers plug it in and the futurebit sticks in and start hashing.

My 3 sticks at stock settings from jstefanop's bfgminer get a total of 1.5 mhs on a plugable hub. I can mine anything scrypt including LTC with  F2pool or Goldcoin etc.
Don't be cheap buy this hub from newegg if you have too its worth it also for compacts too.

Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XB38X7298

that hub doesnt look too bad, its 1500mA per port and one port is 2400mA.

the 7 port superbpag tho is the same price and i like the AD/DC is built in.

http://www.amazon.com/Superbpag-Portable-Charger-Transfer-Samsung/dp/B013OK10YM
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 06:47:02 AM

Agreed, I have two of these and even with the bridge adapter to give the power of two ports to one USB they don't work.

The Superbpag works but the miners drift off after about 20 mins now. I set the diff at 8 or below on LitcoinPool and use the low diff port on LTCRabbit.

Just weird. Not sure what to do to keep them going.

The eyeboots, even though they offer plenty of juice, are actually very poorly constructed at the hub/port level. They skipped out on proper USB protocol and EMI shielding, since they have so many USB ports. I would not recommend them for this stick.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 07:23:47 AM

Agreed, I have two of these and even with the bridge adapter to give the power of two ports to one USB they don't work.

The Superbpag works but the miners drift off after about 20 mins now. I set the diff at 8 or below on LitcoinPool and use the low diff port on LTCRabbit.

i still think it has something to do with the driver, cause the lights still blink like they are accepting shares.. yet bfgminer shows zero speed.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 11:26:27 PM

I am starting to think so as well. The poolside hash rate goes to zero as well.
It is definitely something weird. I have tried all sorts of diff settings and pools and the same thing. They run about 15 to 20 mins and drift off. Does not matter settings, freq or anything. I have one on an RPi 2, one on a Cubie, and one on a PC. They all do the same exact thing. I have them on the recommended Superbpag hub on each.

Not sure what to do now.

i still think it has something to do with the driver, cause the lights still blink like they are accepting shares.. yet bfgminer shows zero speed.

zyzzyva

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 12:29:11 AM

It is definitely something weird. I have tried all sorts of diff settings and pools and the same thing. They run about 15 to 20 mins and drift off. Does not matter settings, freq or anything. I have one on an RPi 2, one on a Cubie, and one on a PC. They all do the same exact thing. I have them on the recommended Superbpag hub on each.

Not sure what to do now.

I've been seeing this behavior too. I have 8 MoonLanders on two Superbpags, and after about 2 days of mining a few of them will slowly go down to 0.00 and not come back, no matter how many times I restart bfgminer, powercycle the RPi that's driving them, etc. So far this has always fixed it:

Power down the RPi.
Unplug all the sticks.
Power up the RPi and start bfgminer.
Plug in one stick at a time, waiting for each one to be recognized before plugging the next one.

Then they run for another couple days before another few sticks drift off.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 03:34:34 AM

That is the only way I can get them to run for 2 to 3 hrs before they die.
Not sure what to do.
Hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

Not sure what to do now.

I've been seeing this behavior too. I have 8 MoonLanders on two Superbpags, and after about 2 days of mining a few of them will slowly go down to 0.00 and not come back, no matter how many times I restart bfgminer, powercycle the RPi that's driving them, etc. So far this has always fixed it:

Power down the RPi.
Unplug all the sticks.
Plug in one stick at a time, waiting for each one to be recognized before plugging the next one.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 03:45:54 AM

Not sure what to do.

Not sure what to do now.

Power down the RPi.
Unplug all the sticks.

my solution isnt really a solution.. but what i did was use minera and have it set to restart bfgminer if 3 devices go down..
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 04:14:04 AM

Same here for the Minera setup only I have it for two devices as I don't have many.

Not sure what to do.

Not sure what to do now.

Power down the RPi.
Unplug all the sticks.

my solution isnt really a solution.. but what i did was use minera and have it set to restart bfgminer if 3 devices go down..

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 07:44:17 AM

so what are you guys running these at?

im running them at 304..

2  i had to crank up to .950mv, the rest are at .900mv

zyzzyva

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 11:27:07 AM

im running them at 304..

Mine are at .8v or so, 288MHz. Mostly limited by one stick that won't go any higher; another wishlist item I have for bfgminer is to set frequency by serial number. Smiley
wolverine5pl

Activity: 431
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 03:38:02 PM

what usb hub would you recommend for them? Im in UK. i tried looking for anker but I see anker with power supply that can be used to charge mobile phones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-PowerIQ-Charging-Samsung-Motorola/dp/B00VE4UJD4/ref=sr_1_19?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1459697628&sr=1-19&keywords=anker+usb+hub
or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-Charging-Adapter-VL812-B2-Chipset-updated-Firmware/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1459697628&sr=1-23&keywords=anker+usb+hub
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 06:20:39 PM

im running them at 304..

2  i had to crank up to .950mv, the rest are at .900mv

Mine are at .8v or so, 288MHz. Mostly limited by one stick that won't go any higher; another wishlist item I have for bfgminer is to set frequency by serial number. Smiley

Bfgminer already lets you do this...quote from the FAQ section.

Q: How can I set frequency to a particular stick in a mutistick setup under bfgminer?
If you want to specify frequencies for each individual miners you can point which frequency gets set to which miner by changing the global --set MLD:clock=144
to --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320  (note I haven't really tested if you can keep the global option and lets say just set one stick to a different frequency...if you do it this way you might have to specify frequencies for each miner port individually even if some of them are the same, since the global option might override individual frequencies).

So if you have two sticks and want two different frequencies your options might look like this:

Code:
./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=16 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB0 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB1 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB1:clock=304

If your running windows just use the proper windows COM port syntax @\\.\COM1 etc.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
zyzzyva

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 07:02:33 PM

im running them at 304..

2  i had to crank up to .950mv, the rest are at .900mv

Bfgminer already lets you do this...quote from the FAQ section.

Q: How can I set frequency to a particular stick in a mutistick setup under bfgminer?
If you want to specify frequencies for each individual miners you can point which frequency gets set to which miner by changing the global --set MLD:clock=144
to --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320  (note I haven't really tested if you can keep the global option and lets say just set one stick to a different frequency...if you do it this way you might have to specify frequencies for each miner port individually even if some of them are the same, since the global option might override individual frequencies).

So if you have two sticks and want two different frequencies your options might look like this:

Code:
./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=16 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB0 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB1 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=320 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB1:clock=304

If your running windows just use the proper windows COM port syntax @\\.\COM1 etc.

Thanks jstefanop! I'm on a Raspberry Pi and the problem with this is that Linux (or at least Raspbian) assigns different ttys to the sticks on each boot. So if I write a shell script with a line like that, it's invalidated next time I reboot. It would be cool to be able to do something like:

Code:
--set MLD@FB3E00111:clock=288 --set MLD@FB3E00222:clock=312

I took a quick look at the bfgminer code but it wasn't clear to me whether those serial numbers were available at init time.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 11:48:27 PM

I am at 272.
Cranked up the voltage a bit so far about .890mv
Still cannot keep them running more than 30 mins before they fade away. I do have Minera restarting after two out of three die and do not come back for 10 mins.

im running them at 304..

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: