Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on Rapberry PI  (Read 6185 times)
zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 06:59:58 AM

Just got up :p

What OS are you using on the RPI ?

Raspbian ?
Minera image ?

I've had a lot of issues with the Dlink DUB H7, I'm just using it with my RPI and U3 now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bestcoin_59 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 03:01:33 PM

Just got up :p

What OS are you using on the RPI ?

Raspbian ?
Minera image ?

I've had a lot of issues with the Dlink DUB H7, I'm just using it with my RPI and U3 now.

Hello zOU Wink

RapberryPi: the old B (not B+) version.
Software: GEKKO-CGMINER (4.9.2)

Cheers,

Jeff.

zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 04:04:30 PM

have you done sudo rpi-update ?

just to make sure your RPI is up to date ?

Guruclef

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 04:37:43 PM

It could be a crappy USB on amout of power.  Have you tried running 1 instead of three?  

That's what I would do is reduce amount of them and test it.  See what happens.  All usb hubs are not equal.

Even with one compac plugged on the HUB, it does not work. It only works when i plug the compac on the HUB after the Raspberry Pi is running. I also tried to plug the USB port of the HUB on the Raspberry Pi while the Raspberry Pi is running (having the compac already plugged on the HUB): it does not work either (even with just one compac).

It is all the more strange so as the compac (with its serial number) appears on the boot screen (when i turn the Pi on, and when everything is plugged).

Cheers,

Jeff.

What kind of USB hub do you use? (USB? 2.0? 3.0?) And does it have an external power supply?
I used to have weird behavior from my compacs when I just got them and it solved when I increased the voltage on them (via the potentiometer/screw), but I use an external-powered USB 2.0 hub from orico. I didn't increase the voltage too much because I don't have a way to actually measure the voltages now.

If your hub doesn't have external power, or if it is cheap, maybe you need more power to make the sticks work OK. As you can tell I'm just learning, but one way of getting more power to a stick if you don't have a good hub is using a Y-cable like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221661361513

Also I've read somewhere that USB 3.0 hubs don't behave correctly sometimes.
bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 04:48:38 PM

Hi,

I upgraded the packages, but was afraid to update the kernel/firmware because of this:
http://www.framboise314.fr/installer-une-version-anterieure-du-noyau-sur-raspberry-pi/
Any way, the number version of my firmware is 817 (uname -a)

Cheers,

Jeff.

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 05:05:27 PM

What kind of USB hub do you use? (USB? 2.0? 3.0?)

USB2.0

And does it have an external power supply?

Yes. Here is the HUB:
http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/7-port-usb-2-hub/

I used to have weird behavior from my compacs when I just got them and it solved when I increased the voltage on them (via the potentiometer/screw), but I use an external-powered USB 2.0 hub from orico. I didn't increase the voltage too much because I don't have a way to actually measure the voltages now.

If your hub doesn't have external power, or if it is cheap, maybe you need more power to make the sticks work OK. As you can tell I'm just learning, but one way of getting more power to a stick if you don't have a good hub is using a Y-cable like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221661361513

Well it turns out that i encountered the same problem even if only one compac is plugged. Moreover, i never got any troubles when i (hot) plugged the three compacs on the HUB while the RaspberryPi is running, so it might not be a power problem.

That beeing said, i recently bought this cheap item:

http://www.amazon.fr/CARCHET-Voltm%C3%A8tre-Amp%C3%A8rem%C3%A8tre-Testeur-T%C3%A9l%C3%A9phone/dp/B00LHU0QRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=8&sr=8-1&keywords=B00LHU0QRY

Also I've read somewhere that USB 3.0 hubs don't behave correctly sometimes.

I read the same...

Cheers,

Jeff.

zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 07:04:44 PM

Hi,

I upgraded the packages, but was afraid to update the kernel/firmware because of this:
http://www.framboise314.fr/installer-une-version-anterieure-du-noyau-sur-raspberry-pi/
Any way, the number version of my firmware is 817 (uname -a)

Cheers,

Jeff.
That's what I'm running on RPI2

Linux raspberry 4.1.13-v7+ #826 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 13 20:19:03 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 02:06:56 PM

Hi everybody Wink

Although it might not be related to the slight trouble described above, it noticed on the Cgminer window console that the figures in front of "WU" (in the far right of the screen) one of the compac (i currently run three compacs) does not look like the other figures.

Here is what i got:
Compac 1 WU: 166/m
Compac 2 WU: 162/m
Compac 3 WU: 45/m (only ?)

I set the frequency at 210 Mhz and the hash rates of the compacs are all between 9-12Gh/s

Btw what does "WU" stands for Grin

Have a great day Wink

Jeff.

enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 02:20:27 PM

Had my Raspberry to which I installed puppy linux. Smiley

Has any of you did it will Arduino too?
Been  trying to learn about the board and so i installed its ID and tested few scripts to work with it lately. Maybe someone also had tried it to work with an Asic miner device.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 06:06:33 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2015, 06:20:34 PM by Jake36

Hi everybody Wink

Although it might not be related to the slight trouble described above, it noticed on the Cgminer window console that the figures in front of "WU" (in the far right of the screen) one of the compac (i currently run three compacs) does not look like the other figures.

Here is what i got:

I set the frequency at 210 Mhz and the hash rates of the compacs are all between 9-12Gh/s

Have a great day Wink

Jeff.

If I remember right, WU = work utility or something like that.

Give the pot a little bit more of a turn on the low one and see if WU increases.

And why the Pi's have trouble with a lot of hub's, is some of the hub's back feed power to the Pi's. So you got the Pi trying to send power to the hub, the hub trying to send power to the Pi on the same cable and the hub usually wins and causes problems with the Pi.

The 1 usb 3.0 hub that I've found to work with the Pi 2 B and compac's, is the Superbpag 7 port 70W 2Amp per port hub. I only have the Pi 2 B, so don't know if it works with any other Pi models or not.
ManualMiner

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 06:11:04 PM

You won't make anything.
It is not worth mining with a raspberry Pi,
Unless you are willing to use a 10000 block erupters.
Just buy an ASIC man.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 07:08:55 PM

Hi everybody Wink

Here is what i got:

Have a great day Wink

Jeff.

Give the pot a little bit more of a turn on the low one and see if WU increases.

And why the Pi's have trouble with a lot of hub's, is some of the hub's back feed power to the Pi's. So you got the Pi trying to send power to the hub, the hub trying to send power to the Pi on the same cable and the hub usually wins and causes problems with the Pi.

The 1 usb 3.0 hub that I've found to work with the Pi 2 B and compac's, is the Superbpag 7 port 70W 2Amp per port hub. I only have the Pi 2 B, so don't know if it works with any other Pi models or not.

Superbpag also works on pi zero using a nonpowered usb 2.0 bridge (i used cheap 4 port Sabrent) in between.
bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 08:26:55 PM

Hi Jake36 Smiley

Ok, thanks for the clue. A google research with "cgminer work utility" gave the me the following:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=424095.0

I tried. However i didn't notice any real change. Does it mean that the miner is faulty?

In my case both the Pi and the Hub have their own PSU.

Thanks for the information Wink

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 08:41:59 PM

You won't make anything.
It is not worth mining with a raspberry Pi,
Unless you are willing to use a 10000 block erupters.

I'm aware i won't get rich.

Just buy an ASIC man.
I my opinion, it's not as simple as that. First, the lattest Asics are quite expensive and the electricity
consumption of such devices are much higher. My goal, ATM, is to understand better BTC mining...

In fact i really wonder, whatever the devices people are mining with, if it's still possible to make profits...
I mean, even a Antminer S7 won't probably be sufficient in one or two years. Does anyone share the same
opinion?

Cheers,

Jeff.

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 08:52:26 PM

Hi Biodom,

Superbpag also works on pi zero using a nonpowered usb 2.0 bridge (i used cheap 4 port Sabrent) in between.

Lucky you Wink It looks as if you managed to get a Pi Zero. Even in UK it's nearly impossible to get a copy of the MagPi. Last week,
while i was looking through severals computer science magazines in my local newsagent here in France, no less than 3 people asked me (although i don't work for the store...), if i knew a way to get a Pi Zero Grin

Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 10:10:43 PM

Hi Jake36 Smiley

Ok, thanks for the clue. A google research with "cgminer work utility" gave the me the following:

I tried. However i didn't notice any real change. Does it mean that the miner is faulty?

The 1 usb 3.0 hub that I've found to work with the Pi 2 B and compac's, is the Superbpag 7 port 70W 2Amp per port hub. I only have the Pi 2 B, so don't know if it works with any other Pi models or not.[/color]

No, it's probably just not enough power from the hub to do 3 @ freq 210 or the green. Or could be like one of my sticks, set them all by eye with the flat at about 10-11 o'clock with the usb pointing down at 6 o'clock. One stick would do crazy HW error rates no matter what, turned the pot 180 degrees (4-5 o'clock) and it runs with 0 HW errors.

A lot of hubs don't have the data (port between pc/Pi to hub for data) port isolated from the power for the regular ports. So they are also sending power back to the Pi's along with data on the syncing cable
IE: power from the Pi port going out ---><--- power from the hub port going out, so power coming from two sources on same the cable.
bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2015, 04:30:42 PM

Hi Jake36 Smiley

The 1 usb 3.0 hub that I've found to work with the Pi 2 B and compac's, is the Superbpag 7 port 70W 2Amp per port hub. I only have the Pi 2 B, so don't know if it works with any other Pi models or not.[/color]

No, it's probably just not enough power from the hub to do 3 @ freq 210 or the green. Or could be like one of my sticks, set them all by eye with the flat at about 10-11 o'clock with the usb pointing down at 6 o'clock. One stick would do crazy HW error rates no matter what, turned the pot 180 degrees (4-5 o'clock) and it runs with 0 HW errors.

A lot of hubs don't have the data (port between pc/Pi to hub for data) port isolated from the power for the regular ports. So they are also sending power back to the Pi's along with data on the syncing cable
IE: power from the Pi port going out ---><--- power from the hub port going out, so power coming from two sources on same the cable.

Hi Jake36,

Thanks for your message. It turns out that the "WU" is still low even when i plug the weird compac directly on the Pi (without using the HUB). Moreover the HW errors are very rare. I mean how is it possible to have a low "WU" with very few HW errors?

Cheers,

Jeff.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: