Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldnt we wait for Halving before buying new miners?  (Read 1633 times)
wlefever
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 04:51:44 PM

yeah im thinking of picking up 2k worth of coins pre halving instead of spending that money on equipment. Hopefully that pays of better in the long run and btc soars
This is my plan after much debate on getting a few more miners.  I'm just going to buy the equivalent I would spend on miners in btc, and keep my 2 Avalon 4.1's rolling with free power.  It's just too hard to try and keep up with the latest gear being tossed around in China.  I love mining, but I also like having the coins with almost no risk.

The latest golden age of mining just ended IMHO. Buying a batch 8 S7 or an Avalon 6 today is getting in a bit late to this generation. With the last diff jump of 10%+ and the next 10%+ in less than 14 days your looking at -25% in profits before you even get mining. Because the diff increases compound, your looking at getting half what you could have a few months ago within the next month or two.

I'd wait another month for the next price drop because its coming. Once people stop buying at the current prices because of absurd diff jumps the mining companies (Bitmain/Avalon) will have to slash prices to entice another round of buying because the ROI will be in the toilet. This will be the next time to buy, probably early Jan/Feb. Wait it out till then and be ready with coins the second they go on sale.
I think you are right about getting in late on this generation.  When you start that far behind, it's a constant uphill battle to keep up or get ahead. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shillier

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:01:27 PM

With the last diff jump of 10%+ and the next 10%+ in less than 14 days your looking at -25% in profits before you even get mining.

curious to know why you think the next jump will be ~10%... is this speculation or based on something else?
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 05:11:37 PM

with halving coming up it seems impossible to get ROI on any asics that are out. I would guess when btc halves wont the price of miners also halve?

It's very risky! This might be the worst time to be getting into a mining game, just before the halving. Nobody knows what wil happen. But if you like to take a risk, then go for it. I know that I wouldn't and I would stay out of it just until I don't see what we halving give us.

Mining is risky enough even without a halving, with halving this risks just shoots up considerably!
GannickusX

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 08:18:23 PM

With the last diff jump of 10%+ and the next 10%+ in less than 14 days your looking at -25% in profits before you even get mining.

curious to know why you think the next jump will be ~10%... is this speculation or based on something else?

But you are always going to get an increase in difficulty, anyone who is mining should know that already, what do you expect now, everyone who is mining to stop mining because they diff will jump 10%?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 09:03:48 AM

Im looking forward to the halving. The halving might shift the balance of power back to us average joes and away from the corporations.

*ROFLMAOSC*

If anything, the halfing is MORE likely to kill off most "home mining" as the big farms can be a lot more efficient than most home miners, and generally are built in VERY VERY LOW electric rate areas.

curious to know why you think the next jump will be ~10%

bitcoin wisdom diff chart is currently estimateing a bit over 10% for the next jump, but it's early days yet and that could change a lot - up OR down, more likely up given Avalon 6 shipments AND S7 shipments.

I suspect we won't see another diff drop 'till sometime AFTER the halfing.

The "latest golden age of mining" was more of a silver age, and really ended last summer sometime, I'd say around the time the S7 first had it's price announced. The recent price spike wasn't enough to help folks that didn't ALREADY have miners in place.

Might be a good time to go DASH mining for a while, since you can still do Dash profitable with a well-tuned NVidea Maxwell-based GPU rig....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: